cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expectations for 6 volt batteries

AFHauler
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our two 12V group 24's with two 6 volt golf cart batteries - 220 amp hours. We also have 270 watts of solar, a Trimetric monitor and a Progressive Dynamic 9100 converter with a Charge Wizard.

When we first go into the trailer the monitor says the batteries are at 13.4, which is fully charged. Within 4 or 5 hours the batteries are down to 12.5 and this is after using only the water pump, a few LED lights for a couple of hours and the fridge (on propane) - no furnace.

What can we expect using these batteries? When we had our 12V's we could go several days, even using the furnace and that was before we had the solar.
H & P
2015 Arctic Fox 29L, 2016 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4

Geocache team: Afternoonshift
64 REPLIES 64

timjcarter9
Explorer
Explorer
12.6 volts is 100% charged. So you don't have a problem at all.

As for 12 vs 6 you will get many different views. I like them because I can discharge them deeper with no effect. I have discharged to 40% about half the time I go dry camping if I don't use the solar. Five years on my two 220 ah 6 volts and going strong.
2003 Avalanche - 4.10 gears
2010 Puma 18DB
Sold - 1973 FMC 2900R

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
It's summer Mena. It's relaxing on some beach in the shade of an umbrella.
I guess it hasn't left San Diego yet. 🙂

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's summer Mena. It's relaxing on some beach in the shade of an umbrella.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
AFHauler wrote:

one 150 watt and one 125 watt
I'm an idiot, you said this in the first post. I even answered a question based on your solar. LOL! Where is my brain? I know it's here somewhere.

AFHauler
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
Solar panel too? How big is the solar panel?

one 150 watt and one 125 watt
H & P

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
smkettnerX2

Even one of those playtoy 5 floating balls hydrometers is better than nothing (verify it first with another good battery)

If you "arrive at your destination" and 4 out of 5 balls are floating, Trouble Is A Brewing...

7 amperes X 12 hours = 84

add 15 amp hours for lamps

Television? DVD?

With a decent permanent magnet motor and 7 amperes, I can make the drapes stand out on end. That's = to 2 Fantastic Endless Breeze Fans set on 3 and change left over.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
06Fargo wrote:
We were at 12.65 volts at 6 pm on arrival at our no service site,
That seems low. I would expect 12.8 to 13.4 surface charge from driving. Trojan lists ~12.73 as full charge. May have started only 85% to 95% charged.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

AFHauler
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Sorry this is not backed up with technical graphs and recorded measurements - but when we first installed our 2x 6v 230AH on the sticker batteries I did some checking: We were at 12.65 volts at 6 pm on arrival at our no service site, then run the slide out, operated water pump for normal duties plus 4 ship-showers, furnace ran about 4 hours overnight each night, evening & early morning lighting, (not LED) - and were at 12.01v on the morning after the 3rd night. San Diego County in January. On the road camps in colder country in January (UT, ID, MT, AB) the batteries will power the camper over night no problem on 8 - 10 hour stops where the furnace is running 15 to 30 mins every hour.

This is exactly the type of info we are looking for - and, no, ours are not performing like that. If they were we wouldn't be having second thoughts about switching to 6v!

We will track everything on the 28th when we are back at the trailer for the weekend but I know for sure in the past we have been down to 11.9 in less than 24 hours with minimal use. The only thing saving us when we don't have a plug-in is the solar panel giving us a charge in the day.
H & P

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry this is not backed up with technical graphs and recorded measurements - but when we first installed our 2x 6v 230AH on the sticker batteries I did some checking: We were at 12.65 volts at 6 pm on arrival at our no service site, then run the slide out, operated water pump for normal duties plus 4 ship-showers, furnace ran about 4 hours overnight each night, evening & early morning lighting, (not LED) - and were at 12.01v on the morning after the 3rd night. San Diego County in January. On the road camps in colder country in January (UT, ID, MT, AB) the batteries will power the camper over night no problem on 8 - 10 hour stops where the furnace is running 15 to 30 mins every hour.

Both available chargers (TC converter and the 160 amp 300hp diesel one) will charge them at bulk charge rates when they are drawn down to 12v.

They seem to like lots of cycling.

The 2x 12v Optima that came with our 5th wheel seem kind of wimpy - but I don't know how they were treated before we got the trailer this spring.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Quote: "Yes, both batteries (Diehard golf cart batteries, not Interstate as previously stated) are rated at 220 AH and are new. They were tested at the shop with a hydrometer before we took them as they were replacing another set that wasn't performing.

When we switched to 6v we thought we would get longer time than the 12v. Right now, if we were using the furnace at all, we would be lucky to get through one night."

---

There seems to be some confusion in last few posts.

Two group 24 12v batteries were most likely 75AH each for a total of 150AH. The new 6 volts when connected in series are 220 AH. First reason to use sixes since you get more AH in the same space.

Batteries in series do not prey on each other in storage, so the sixes can get through the winter (on disconnect) without charging if needed.

Did you actually use the furnace over-night and have dead batteries in the morning? The furnace uses 7 amps per hour and should easily get through the night. With your usage mentioned, getting through a 2 or 3-day weekend would be no problem.

My Trojan T105,s lasted 10 years, along with one Optima Blue Top (for Television). My new ones are Trojan T105's and one Trojan 80AH 12v (for TV). I have no problems with either and the slight loss in early capacity will never be missed.

As for Diehard batteries; all bets are off! I had one go bad in less than a year and would never get another.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

AFHauler
Explorer
Explorer
HiTech wrote:
Compared to your old 2 group 24's they should start to give you more amp hours after just a few deep discharges and recharges. If they are really getting properly charged. That's where reading the specific gravity comes in handy.

Jim

We will check the specific gravity next weekend when we give them a good work-out.
H & P

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to your old 2 group 24's they should start to give you more amp hours after just a few deep discharges and recharges. If they are really getting properly charged. That's where reading the specific gravity comes in handy.

Jim

AFHauler
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
Are both batteries rated at 220AH at 6v so that when combined you get 220AH at 12v to the RV, or are they each 110AH at 6 volts for a combined 110AH at 12v output?

With two 6v batteries a problem with a single cell is going to have a greater impact than with two 12v batteries when powering a 12v system. The 6v industrial deep cycle batteries like the ones from Trojan are not the same as standard duty deep cycle from other manufacturers in their construction and they will not perform as well. You get what you pay for (except as a taxpayer).

Yes, both batteries (Diehard golf cart batteries, not Interstate as previously stated) are rated at 220 AH and are new. They were tested at the shop with a hydrometer before we took them as they were replacing another set that wasn't performing.

When we switched to 6v we thought we would get longer time than the 12v. Right now, if we were using the furnace at all, we would be lucky to get through one night.
H & P