cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric cord connection to tow car

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
When I plug in the toad to the motorhome (for lights, etc.), the left rear car light usually does not work. It'll work if I jiggle the plug but only for a second. Don't know if plug is too loose, or perhaps a loose wire, or something else.

I know nothing about electricity. But I do have a small multimeter. Wondering if it is possible to touch the multimeter to each of 6 pins and pinholes on both ends of the plug to find out if each is working good?

Again, barely knowing how a multimeter works, it's just a thought I had. May be way off base.

Any other simple testing ideas? Any simple way to find out which pin controls the left rear car light?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
10 REPLIES 10

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy to report that I did as Dutch suggested with a flat screwdriver, specifically with the pin that controls the left light. When I connected the car yesterday, all lights worked! Yay! Of course, I should have checked the lights again before I disconnected the car at home, but forgot to. Who knows what happens on the road with all the bouncing going on.

The electric contacts, both male and female all look very clean...no corrosion. I had already used Dioxit and Dielectric grease on them awhile ago, with no results.

Thanks again everyone for all the input!
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
^ Yep - Dielectric grease is good stuff.

If you put it on clean electrical contacts, it keeps them from being exposed to water - which prevents corrosion on them.

Putting it on corroded electrical contacts doesn't work nearly as well, since...well, they're already corroded.

The green Scotch-Brite dish scrubbing pads work great for removing corrosion on contacts. Finish up with concentrated rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol before applying the dielectric grease.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
After you get the connection problem fixed get a small tube of dielectric grease from an auto parts store and apply to the pins of the connector. This prevents oxidation and corrosion in the connector. Fewer problems with the connection.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
If possible, borrow someone else’s power cord and try it. If borrowed cord fixes issue then you know where your problem is.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the above does not work, might try (if possible) to take the plug apart and check the connections to the pins / sockets.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Oh geez! Why didn't I think to google 6-pin wiring diagram! Yes, I have the 6-pin round plug. I see on the diagram which pin is the left turn signal. I'll try your suggestion, Dutch, when I hook up tomorrow.

I had already tried a couple of contact cleaners without success.

Thanks all!
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
I'm not sure which connectors you have. On my Motorhome I have a 7-pin connector on my Jeep its a 4-pin connector so my wire has both 7-pin and 4-pin on the other side. If you google "7-pin wiring diagram" or "4-pin round wiring diagram" etc. you should find the schematic you need to test to see if the issue is with the connector or the wiring itself.

7-Pin RV Diagram

4-Pin RV Diagram

I should have been more specific above that I was referring to the common 6-pin round connectors.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Y-Guy
I'm not sure which connectors you have. On my Motorhome I have a 7-pin connector on my Jeep its a 4-pin connector so my wire has both 7-pin and 4-pin on the other side. If you google "7-pin wiring diagram" or "4-pin round wiring diagram" etc. you should find the schematic you need to test to see if the issue is with the connector or the wiring itself.

7-Pin RV Diagram

4-Pin RV Diagram

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Electric contact cleaner is a suggestion too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Use a thin bladed screwdriver or pocket knife to spread the male pins slightly for a tighter fit in the female socket.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate