cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Effect of no absorption on LiFePo4?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a low end 100Ah LiFePo4 a couple of years ago. The manufacturer only listed charge and float voltages on their spec sheet. Later I asked them about absorption and they told me 14.4v. They also said it wasn't on the spec sheet because "it's not that frequently ask by our customer". ๐Ÿ™‚ I never got around to setting my solar controller for absorption. For 2 summers of extended summer travel the battery has performed very well and is only charged by my 225w solar system.

So what is the effect on the battery to not have absorption?

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
32 REPLIES 32

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
10-4, thanks for the clarification....
Bruce
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
bdosborn wrote:
It seems like you're confusing my post with Don's, I didn't say anything about a "calendar-scheduled approachโ€ฆ".

The Battery Management System (BMS) in all LiFePO4 batteries has a cell balancer built into it and it works every time the battery is charged completely. Some batteries (like Battleborn) need an absorption stage to give the balancer more time to work; they typically only balance at 500mA so it can take awhile. Its transparent to most battery owners unless they have a BMS that displays battery cell voltages.

Its all in the specs of the battery you buy, if it doesn't say anything about an absorption stage then youโ€ฆ.

Bruce

Not intended, I was merely speaking to the broader audience, primarily revisiting the so-called every 30 day approach which Don had mentioned (Don has once before stated โ€œevery 7 daysโ€ appliesโ€ฆ(FWIW, I disagree)โ€ฆYep, the balancing phase (at 14.x volts, whatever phase one opts to call itโ€ฆ) is relatively transparent - this is why I always recommend a Smart-Shunt so one can observe the occurrence and completion of re-balancingโ€ฆDepending on the several previous variables Iโ€™d mentioned, this can take from several minutes to say roughly 20 min or so, often depending on battery capacityโ€ฆ

3 tons

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like you're confusing my post with Don's, I didn't say anything about a "calendar-scheduled approachโ€ฆ".

The Battery Management System (BMS) in all LiFePO4 batteries has a cell balancer built into it and it works every time the battery is charged completely. Some batteries (like Battleborn) need an absorption stage to give the balancer more time to work; they typically only balance at 500mA so it can take awhile. Its transparent to most battery owners unless they have a BMS that displays battery cell voltages.

Its all in the specs of the battery you buy, if it doesn't say anything about an absorption stage then you don't need one.

Bruce
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
bdosborn wrote:
Some LiFePo4 batteries recommend an absorption stage, it gives the BMS cell balancer time to work. The voltage region that most BMS balancers work in is so high on the charge curve that actual balancing might only last a minute or two. Here's what Battleborn recommends:
https://battlebornbatteries.com/programming-a-victron-smartsolar-charge-controller/
Bruce

Be advised, we are not talking rocket science here (except to those few FWC die-hards who snub a different approach).

Note that many charge controllers (as is Victronโ€™s) are user configurable for a LiFePo4 battery format, and this configurability feature is why the moniker of โ€˜Absorptionโ€™ is usedโ€ฆWhether one cares to call it absorption or bulk (no matterโ€ฆ), a voltage somewhere in the high 13 teenโ€™s to the mid 14 teenโ€™s, not to exceed 14.6v (constant voltage, constant current) is all thatโ€™s really needed (higher voltage = faster charge)โ€ฆ And, cell balancing need only be done periodicallyโ€ฆHow so?? From my own observed experience, the need for rebalancing is a function of say number of โ€˜less than FULL charge/dischargeโ€™ cycles, and % of โ€˜depth of dischargesโ€™โ€ฆFrom my perspective, and in the added interest of longevity, this is a far more cogent approach than some thoughtless โ€˜one size fits allโ€™ (made-upโ€ฆ) calendar-scheduled approachโ€ฆ

3 tons

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:

So what is the effect on the battery to not have absorption?

Probably nothing, your cells might be a little out of balance but that would be about it. Here's a link to a guy that explains what LFP charge settings should be:

Andys Off-grid garage

Bruce
Boxcar Build

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
Some LiFePo4 batteries recommend an absorption stage, it gives the BMS cell balancer time to work. The voltage region that most BMS balancers work in is so high on the charge curve that actual balancing might only last a minute or two. Here's what Battleborn recommends:
https://battlebornbatteries.com/programming-a-victron-smartsolar-charge-controller/
Bruce
Boxcar Build

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Time2roll,

I have seen articles that suggest every 30 cycles or days that the bank be balanced.

https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/

I scanned it. Not sure what you are reading that would indicate the 30 day cycle.

And the article is flat wrong about the battery will only be at 90% charged at 14.4 volts and zero absorption time.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Time2roll,

I have seen articles that suggest every 30 cycles or days that the bank be balanced.

โ€œI have seen articlesโ€??

Don, this has been addressed here by โ€˜actual usersโ€™ (meaning, not by you) on post that I know youโ€™ve even past authoredโ€ฆI hate to resort to this, but perhaps (once and for all) maybe consider avoiding the impulse at offering near endless LFP controversy or disinformation - as youโ€™re well aware, this particular has already been clarifiedโ€ฆ

Very Respectfully,

3 tons

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Time2roll,

https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Ralph,

Quite the opposite. LiFePo4 do not want to be charged to 100%. They do want to be balanced charged once per month.

Correct but theyโ€™re not near as needy as described above.
Ralph, just when they are not in use, make sure they are not on a maintenance charge. If there is truly no draw. Ideal condition is NOT fully charged, however itโ€™s only slightly less.
I donโ€™t go out of my way to make sure my LFP batteries are drawn down some for storage nor do I maintenance charge them while not in use.
They probably end up fully charged. Like my MX bike. Iโ€™ve hooked up a little charger after it sitting for months 6-8 months even โ€œjust to seeโ€ and it literally takes 2 min or less to register full charge. (Small battery). Tells me itโ€™s fully charged when I last shut the bike off.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Charging to 14.4 on any regular basis as described by the OP is sufficient to keep the cells balanced. There is no recommendation to periodically change the charging cycle for balancing. Yes if the battery is short charged to 13.6 or less it may or may not get any balancing from the BMS. Could go years like that without issue. The primary time balance can be a critical process is when the battery is first assembled to verify the cells are at the same level to start with.

X2โ€ฆ.Mythology has it that LFPโ€™s are in someway โ€˜fussyโ€™ to charge when in fact (except for cold weather charge constraint) the opposite is trueโ€ฆ

OP suggest he may have โ€˜damagedโ€™ his batteries (how so??)โ€ฆThe basics are, donโ€™t exceed 14.6v, donโ€™t equalize, float at or below 13.6v (or not at all), donโ€™t leave on charger for an extended period of time (say, once fully charged), no need for a full charge except for occasional cell re-balancing and (if applicable) SOC meter resynchronizationsโ€ฆ

Applying this basic charge regime is a minor price to pay which negates conventional battery maintenance and achieve faster charge recovery times and a far deeper depth of discharge..

3 tons

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charging to 14.4 on any regular basis as described by the OP is sufficient to keep the cells balanced. There is no recommendation to periodically change the charging cycle for balancing. Yes if the battery is short charged to 13.6 or less it may or may not get any balancing from the BMS. Could go years like that without issue. The primary time balance can be a critical process is when the battery is first assembled to verify the cells are at the same level to start with.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My (limited) understanding is that there is a specific voltage needed to balance the cells. That is set by the battery management system. I don't know what that number is.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Ralph,

Quite the opposite. LiFePo4 do not want to be charged to 100%. They do want to be balanced charged once per month.

Isn't a "balance charge" a 100% charge?
As I recall, it is said that over time, individual component batteries can develop slightly different voltages. Thus, charging the entire battery to a full charge and holding it at full charge for a period of time will equalize the individual component batteries.
Can you clarify?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ralph,

Regards, Don