cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dump Tank Extension Needed

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
My travel trailer has a gray tank dump handle that is under a slideout so I can't reach the handle unless I crawl under the trailer. Is there a pole for sale that can grab that handle so I can reach under the slideout and open the tank? You would think Jayco would have come up with a better design. I think they should change the names of Jayco trailers to Thor now so that everyone knows the quality they are getting. I have a drain fly infestation and they say leaving my gray tank open may be the cause.

Edit: I've seen replacement rods that are longer, but I don't want a permanent solution like that. I want a handle about 3 or 4 feet long that can grab the original handle. Maybe I'll have to make one, but attaching the grabber to the pole may be tricky unless they happen to have matching threads.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
13 REPLIES 13

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could put in a cable operated valve or an electric operated valve

Cable valve

Electric valve
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know the grey tank stinks worse than the black tank. I usually leave my grey valve open and have never noticed a bed smell.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could the drain itself use two 90 degree elbows and a piece of pipe to relocate the drain valve?
Puma 30RKSS

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem on my last trailer and just used he handle end of a walking cane. $16.oo at walmart.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tractor Supply has a rod that has a hook on the end and a point. I think it is made for livestock shows etc. I have one to help me place leveler pads and pull awnings to get them started sometimes. Fits easily in the basement area of our coach. Maybe 60 inches
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
and leaving the gray tank open is a bad idea for reasons other than the flies. and open gray tank valve allows gas from the dump connection to flow thru the hose and up thru the exhaust pipe on the roof. not good for the neighbors.

THANK YOU (Folks you look at the ads for the useless black tank odor control that show the stinky RV.. Gray valve left open Guarantee it)

How about this. a painter's pole with a window washer's squegee end nstead of a paint brush and a couple of zip ties to the handle of the valve. Crawl under to attach and to remove.. Or you can develop basic device to use as a push/pull tool very easily with one of those extension handles.. They are also the same size as your basic Plumber's friend handle. (Plunger)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Deleted

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are going to leave the gray tank open make sure there is a dip in it of no less than a hose width which will create a trap and keep everything on the other side there.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
and leaving the gray tank open is a bad idea for reasons other than the flies. and open gray tank valve allows gas from the dump connection to flow thru the hose and up thru the exhaust pipe on the roof. not good for the neighbors.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is what nick is talking about, should work for pulling the valve, but no so great for pushing it back in, (unless perhaps if you modify it)https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-awning-pull-rod-46-4430.html
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can find a rod they use to use to pull awnings down with (before electric awnings), that could work also.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
Cicky

Nick

Thanks. That could work. It's a little pricey, but I can afford it. At least I have an idea what to search for. I wasn't looking for a "boat hook".
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II