cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dry camping

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
I need to dry camp one night in Jasper Nat Park. Only want to keep the refrigerator running for one day. Will the battery last 18hrs. Need advice
16 REPLIES 16

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
No answer is going to be correct until the OP returns to identify his/her fridge.

His profile shows a 2012 Flagstaff Micro-lite, so it's a 2-way fridge.

Unless it was switched out with a residential at some point.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
No answer is going to be correct until the OP returns to identify his/her fridge.

His profile shows a 2012 Flagstaff Micro-lite, so it's a 2-way fridge.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Not if that fridge's climate control heating element has not been turned off, it won't.

You already mentioned that on page 1, so I didn't feel the need to be pedantic about that.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run the refer on propane. It is not that warm in Alberta. Everything will be fine it you do not run your furnace too much.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I need to dry camp one night in Jasper Nat Park. Only want to keep the refrigerator running for one day. Will the battery last 18hrs. Need advice

maillemaker wrote:
Is your refrigerator running off of propane or 12V? If propane, the system uses only a tiny bit of electricity to keep the gas flowing. It will run for days on battery in that case.

Not if that fridge's climate control heating element has not been turned off, it won't. :R The best "advice", which the OP asked for, is to make sure this element is off whenever running on battery power.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer

Is your refrigerator running off of propane or 12V? If propane, the system uses only a tiny bit of electricity to keep the gas flowing. It will run for days on battery in that case.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
jensenst wrote:

Depends on what kind of fridge and battery..

I have Engel 12V only..killed one starting batt quickly when I forgot to unplug it once or twice...without engine running..

Now my 100 amh deep cycle batt. handles its cooling with ease..

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of fridge? What size battery bank?

An RV absorption fridge on propane will easily get through a night unless your battery is in dire need of replacement (and probably it would even then). Typically you could go a couple days or more, sometimes a good bit more, with a single battery and propane, though RVs do vary in their electric requirements some, and things other than the fridge can eat away at the capacity here (things like the LP and CO detectors).

A residential fridge, as a very very rough rule of thumb, needs to have a couple of batteries per day of dry operation, assuming no recharging from e.g. solar is going on.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jensenst wrote:

You haven't provided any information as to the make / model of fridge you have but if it has a climate control heating element make sure it's turned off. If it's one of the more recent models that doesn't have any way to turn off this element then you should add your own switch, just as many of us have done. Switching off that element will significantly reduce unnecessary draw down on the battery when camping without shore power.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't use the lights too much and you will be fine.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the propane furnace off, that fan motor loves to drain a battery in a night.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
I have left my rig parked, unplugged, with the refrigerator on for over a week.
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Even turned off, if left closed a refrigerator will stay cold for quite a while.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed