cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic fridge WITHOUT thermostat

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
My bud's 2013 trailer has a Domeic 8 cubic foot fridge without a thermostat, it's labeled as having an "Automatic refrigerator temperature control"" but it doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, the fridge kept freezing stuff while we had it out for last week.

Also, when this particular model is running on propane there's no light at all on the top panel; I'd expect it to at least have the AUTO and/or PROPANE lights lit up similar to the last 2 trailers I've owned, 1 had a Dometic, the other a Norcold.

Has anyone run across a Dometic like this? (Don't know the exact model number)
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge
14 REPLIES 14

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherguy wrote:
part number is on the tag, Googled it and found this:

link to part

I can see the part number on the tag in the picture. I am just telling you don't assume that will fit your fridge without verifying fitment.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
part number is on the tag, Googled it and found this:

link to part

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherguy wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The Auto Temp Control DOES have a thermostat and thermistor....just doesn't have Temp Setting Adjustments

The Thermistor (Temp sensor) attached to FIN can be moved to adjust overall fridge temps

Move thermistor UP for colder
Move thermistor DOWN for less cold

In your 'friends' case....DOWN

In AUTO the fridge controls will select AC Power (Priority)
If AC Power becomes unavailable the fridge swaps to GAS
It will swap back to AC when AC Power is restored

If you select GAS Manually the fridge will only run on GAS ...no swapping back to AC Power

CHECK Light comes ON when GAS Fails to light off and prove a flame is present.

Several Dometic Models use the Auto Temp Control
This Manual covers some of them

OK Thanks, I didn't know about the thermistor on the fin, will see if he does.
I do know how the "auto", gas, AC thing works though, but what I'm saying is none of the indicators light up like it your pic, that I've never seen before.

(... and this is regarding my 'friends' trailer BTW, mine has a Norcold with a thermostat and working indicator lights)

trailrider wrote:
You can get one of these eyebrow boards that has the adjustable temperature. It is a direct replacement.

Thanks, I think I can barely make out that part number.

That is just a picture I found of the eyebrow. I don't know what part number you would need for your model of fridge.
2007 Komfort 277TS
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
wopachop wrote:
He is saying when you are set to propane only there are no lights.

It only turns orange when propane fails to light.

Correct BUT...if you are set to "Auto" then the "auto" stays on regardless of whether you are running on elec or gas.

Only when the auto/gas button is in the "gas" position are no lights on.

The "check" light is separate from the "auto" light.

CORRECT!

OP...
As for that 'white thing'
That is the CLIP ...thermistor goes inside that clip with just the tip protruding from top of clip
Clip with thermistor goes on far right fin
Try Mid Fin Position 1st...wait 24 hrs and then check fridge temps
Adjust UP for Colder
Adjust DOWN for Warmer

W/O clip/thermistor attached to fin fridge thermostat doesn't get any temp feed back so it continues to call for cooling...hence a very cold fridge (food compartment freezing items)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:

Correct BUT...if you are set to "Auto" then the "auto" stays on regardless of whether you are running on elec or gas.

Only when the auto/gas button is in the "gas" position are no lights on.

The "check" light is separate from the "auto" light.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
My Dometic fridge is same as you described, no lights when on propane only. We spend most of our time RVing off of the power grid thus we just set fridge to propane, plus it tends to cool better in that mode. Fin temp control can be replaced with a dial type temp control, freezing up of fridge may indicate fin temp control has failed or possibly fallen off allowing for constant cooling to occur.

We have had both brands of RV fridges, they cool pretty much the same. What's paramount is that they are properly installed, many RV builders do a poor job not allowing for enough ventilation on the rear of the unit. Many turn to residential fridges primarily do to poor performance, anything to assist air movement for proper airflow behind fridge would indeed enhance cooling prowess of the unit.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I sent the link to this thread to my bud, he said the white thing musta fallen off the fin, he didn't know where it was sposed to go. (he just got the trailer)

I added inside fans to my Norcold, just gotta make sure I
don't pack beer on the top shelf by the fan cuz the toggle switch with poke a hole in them! 🙂

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
ISTR the Dometic we had last year (since replaced) had the check light come on first, then it went out when the gas lit, which you could hear.

That fridge was acting up so flame would go out and the check light would come back on and you tried again. Lots of fun with that old fridge (from 1991)--last seen at the city dump being kicked off my truck! I did enjoy "giving it the boot" 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherguy wrote:
OK, that seems weird though.
We never have hookups and our fridge is always running on propane and always have lights on. (But then again I've never had a fridge without a thermostat either)

Fridge has a 'thermostat' ----ALL fridges do
That model just doesn't have a means of adjusting the temperature range

When ON propane the only display lights would be CHECK and you dont; want to see that one ON

No lights...fridge cold ...all good

*Yes there should be some indication that fridge is ON other than a fault light when it is NOT working. Stupid design!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Dometic fridge is same as you described, no lights when on propane only. We spend most of our time RVing off of the power grid thus we just set fridge to propane, plus it tends to cool better in that mode. Fin temp control can be replaced with a dial type temp control, freezing up of fridge may indicate fin temp control has failed or possibly fallen off allowing for constant cooling to occur.

We have had both brands of RV fridges, they cool pretty much the same. What's paramount is that they are properly installed, many RV builders do a poor job not allowing for enough ventilation on the rear of the unit. Many turn to residential fridges primarily do to poor performance, anything to assist air movement for proper airflow behind fridge would indeed enhance cooling prowess of the unit.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
OK, that seems weird though.
We never have hookups and our fridge is always running on propane and always have lights on. (But then again I've never had a fridge without a thermostat either)

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The Auto Temp Control DOES have a thermostat and thermistor....just doesn't have Temp Setting Adjustments

The Thermistor (Temp sensor) attached to FIN can be moved to adjust overall fridge temps

If you select GAS Manually the fridge will only run on GAS ...no swapping back to AC Power

OK Thanks, I didn't know about the thermistor on the fin, will see if he does.
I do know how the "auto", gas, AC thing works though, but what I'm saying is none of the indicators light up like it your pic, that I've never seen before.

(... and this is regarding my 'friends' trailer BTW, mine has a Norcold with a thermostat and working indicator lights)

trailrider wrote:
You can get one of these eyebrow boards that has the adjustable temperature. It is a direct replacement.

Thanks, I think I can barely make out that part number.

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Komfort 277TS
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II