cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Domestic RM2852 piezoelectric fires over and over again.

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge works fine on both gas and electric but I can hear the piezoelectric going off continuously on either setting. I just bought this fridge 6 months ago....
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
54 REPLIES 54

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to at least give it a try. I think it would be best to have it on film and I haven't had a chance yet. It's not done it since the last rain and it'd be helpful if it did it while my wife is off of work, so I have time to open it up. Could it be a loose connection at the control board? It seems like moisture is the problem even though it looks bone dry in there, maybe condensation? Either way being in Northern California right now we should have some rain any time now....

I need to do the CE for my real estate license by the end of this month too...
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
Will Dometic allow a mobile RV tech to service the unit? That would cure all and end your suffering.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
buylow12 wrote:
That certainly sounds reasonable. How would I test that the next time it happens?

I think the idea now is to disable the ignitor so it does not spark even with the wire pulled that you did. Then you can operate on AC in peace until May and then get it fixed by a tech.

I don't have that model fridge where on mine I can pull the little white plug with its four wires in it that comes from the ignitor box, going to the power module board.

Somewhere in those drawings of the wiring on yours in that link above around page 14 and 15, you should be able to find how to disconnect the ignitor.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
That certainly sounds reasonable. How would I test that the next time it happens?
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
This manual says clearly that it is the flame sensor that detects the flame which changes the resistance and stops the sparking. Goes to J10 on the board if I read that right. Scroll down to page 15/34

first thing is to make sure that is connected tightly at each end so it ought to work. You have the sparking even while it is lit. Not supposed to keep sparking.

Not supposed to spark at all in AC mode. No idea there, except must be a separate 12v path to the sparker that should not be happening. That path might "close" due to water.

https://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf
Photo in Profile

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
What do you mean about the 12v wiring?

So there is a rectangular box that is glued to the board. You can see the coils of copper as the generator or whatever of the spark. There was only one wire run into it. It's run so that the spark occurrs where the gas is. I disconnected that wire and it was still sparking, just right to the ground on the board, rather than the three combustion chamber. It looks like the only way to replace that part is to replace the whole board. I could post a picture later.

I found it odd that it happened after two water events but everything was bone dry in there. I think I should mention it's mounted in a slide so the top vent is on the side.

If it'll help you I can post some pictures later today of it.

By the way, it stopped yesterday again after a few hours. Also it's not like it's the first time it rained here, I'm in Northern California and we've been rained on for about the last two months straight it feels like. This was the first time it caused this constant sparking issue.

Thanks again for the help.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see the difference from mine, so I need to find another diagram for the wiring to the sparker. I don't understand what was meant by the thing still sparking after disconnecting the wire.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/2652operation.pdf

That shows about the drain tube and also says something about installing it right or there can be "leakage"

This happens after a water episode--one after defrosting and now after it rained?

For warranty blame game--it might be the installer to blame and not Dometic. Need to find about that 12v wiring. Mine has the ignitor in a separate box, but this one seems to have it in with the power module?

https://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf
Photo in Profile

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, that's exactly what I thought. In any case I don't expect to have a major failure in under 6 months time for a purchase like this. Clearly the boards are garbage and it seems like quite a few people seem to agree. Secondly, if the process is anything like that posted above, I'd rather buy and install the board myself, purchased from and made by someone else of course. It seems that dinausaur or whatever has a much better reputation. Either way I'll try going the warranty route fitst since I'm not in a hurry right now luckily, ignoring, what ever you've had to say about the process. I also have had other companies send me parts, for free, under warranty, to wherever I happened to be. Believe it or not, it does happen... Lastly I appreciate your help but could do without your know it all attitude, and it seems like I'm not the only. I've actually looked at it and agree with you, it needs a new board. At least I have access to the refrigerator, how do you know you're right? Talk about hypocritical... By the way my 99 Ford truck is much more reliable than these refrigerators.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
buylow12 wrote:
Thanks for the info. They'll never receive my business again. On my next rig I hope to have a battery style refrigerator like they put on sailboats installed. That's just terrible service as far as I'm concerned.

Buy a New Ford, then call them and tell them to send you the warranty part instead of you taking it to the dealer. I just don't understand People with your attitude. Things break. So what if it was a month. What time frame do you think a part has to fail? I have been in the RV service business for over 40 years and the policies for getting warranty work done has not changed. What makes YOU think you have diagnosed the problem correctly? We have helped you, but from your recent comments, you still have no clue even tho I have told you what is wrong. You install that battery style which may be a Novacool. Guess what, they have the same requirements as Dometic and YES, the battery styles do malfunction also. I work on those also. Doug

Of course since Doug Rainer works on them and is the absolute when it comes to all things RV. But then again since I have personally had Dometic ship me a control board and a white replacement led module to replace the blue a little over a year ago under warranty, I guess it never happens. I have also had Dutchmen RV in the past send parts gratis, Palomino, as well as Rockwood RV who sent warranty parts even after the warranty had expired. I also had boards sent gratis from Suburban more than once, and even got some stuff from Lippert, but that was a long time ago, now days good luck with LCI if you can get past the temp girl working the phone. The one who clamped down totally was Dutchmen after their warranty support was rolled into Keystone.

Phone calls are cheap and sometimes you'll be surprised what will happen if you get in contact with the right person. Sounds like Doug needs to protect his job or something.

dougrainer wrote:
I have been in the RV service business for over 40 years and the policies for getting warranty work done has not changed.

Sure hasn't.....Make an appointment which may be a month or more away. Drop it off. Hopefully it gets looked at that same day and the pictures and other documentation is sent to the manufacturer. Wait more, days or weeks for the manufacturer to approve it. Then they order the parts, and hope they do not take 6 weeks to arrive......Meanwhile 2 or 3 months have passed. Just like the Auto Industry LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
buylow12 wrote:
Thanks for the info. They'll never receive my business again. On my next rig I hope to have a battery style refrigerator like they put on sailboats installed. That's just terrible service as far as I'm concerned.

Buy a New Ford, then call them and tell them to send you the warranty part instead of you taking it to the dealer. I just don't understand People with your attitude. Things break. So what if it was a month. What time frame do you think a part has to fail? I have been in the RV service business for over 40 years and the policies for getting warranty work done has not changed. What makes YOU think you have diagnosed the problem correctly? We have helped you, but from your recent comments, you still have no clue even tho I have told you what is wrong. You install that battery style which may be a Novacool. Guess what, they have the same requirements as Dometic and YES, the battery styles do malfunction also. I work on those also. Doug

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Well we got a bunch of rain yesterday and it's back.... However it's bone dry in there so I don't know if that's just a coincidence that it returned. It appears that at least on the new fridges you cannot replace that part, it's glued to the board. I disconnected the only wire that was connected to it and it kept sparking just to the ground rather than the proper place. It seems to me the only way to fix it is a new control board but I'm open to suggestions on things to try. I know someone mentioned disconnecting something. I'm really disappointed that a month old fridge seems to need a new board since the dsi part is now part of the board. If we can't figure anything else out I guess when I leave in May I'll have them replace it. I can't do anything else about it today, I'll have time tomorrow but who knows if it'll still be doing it. I hate when you have an on and off issue like that.... Thanks again for your help.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Direct from Dometic. Doug

Mr. Rainer,

Here at Tech Service and Warranty authorization we donโ€™t send parts to retail under warranty.

The retail department will sell parts to retail customers but not warranty parts.

I hear them tell the customer under warranty it must be serviced at the RV dealer.

No warranty parts send out that I know of.

Have a great day old man

Al