cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Defective Renogy Solar Panel

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the process of refurbing this Lance, I decided to add 100w of solar so I got the economy bundle from Renogy, which is one 100w panel and a 10a controller. I only have one battery in the Lance, so figured that would be enough.

After installing the solar, I was seeing around 2.2-2.5a charging on the controller display but attributed that to the fact that I was home and plugged into shore power. Then I took a boondocking test run to the beach in November and ran the heat all night, so I knew the battery was down. In bright sun the following day the controller was still only showing 2.5a.

I emailed Renogy tech support and they had me take some readings with the panel disconnected and send them photos of the meter readings.

Bottom line, they determined that the panel was defective. They sent me a prepaid shipping label to return the old panel and sent me a new panel at no charge. I tested the new panel today (before installing it) and am seeing 4.93a at 21.7v.

Not sure if anyone has had issues with Renogy panels, but their service is excellent! Good to know they stand behind their products.
10 REPLIES 10

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:

not sure why anyone would buy that model to start with 10amp PWM. I ended up with the 30amp MPPT Renogy Rover. so far very happy with it and it got better reviews that a lot of controlers twice the price. for my pannal I went with a 325 watt 120 split cell 24v Canadian solar and am amazed how much it actualy gives me. but I will be adding 1 more if I can figure out where to put it.... no real roof on my camper so mounting is a little bit of a challange.....

Steve

Side mount and use as an awning.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Almot wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Nice to hear a good report!

... for a change ;).
Rarely panels are defective from the beginning or stop working within a few months. Only occasionally one of (4?) diodes would poop out. Controllers are a different story. 8% 1-star feedback on Renogy waterproof chargers. Interestingly, people complain on slow service too: https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Voyager-Waterproof-Controller-Batteries/dp/B07YXZ68F5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_p...

not sure why anyone would buy that model to start with 10amp PWM. I ended up with the 30amp MPPT Renogy Rover. so far very happy with it and it got better reviews that a lot of controlers twice the price. for my pannal I went with a 325 watt 120 split cell 24v Canadian solar and am amazed how much it actualy gives me. but I will be adding 1 more if I can figure out where to put it.... no real roof on my camper so mounting is a little bit of a challange.....

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:

... for a change ;).
Rarely panels are defective from the beginning or stop working within a few months. Only occasionally one of (4?) diodes would poop out. Controllers are a different story. 8% 1-star feedback on Renogy waterproof chargers. Interestingly, people complain on slow service too: https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Voyager-Waterproof-Controller-Batteries/dp/B07YXZ68F5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_p...

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Renogy rover30 mppt. The original went bad and I sent it back. They diagnosed the problem and within 10 days I had a replacement unit.
Pretty good I thought!

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
good to hear. i have had 2 100 watt panels and charge controller form them and have been very happy with them.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 of the 200W portable kits from renogy and they all have performed as expected. I just disconnected the built in controller and the input goes directly to the midnight solar controller.

Good to hear they responded quickly and fixed the problem!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
WindyNationโ€™s weatherproof 10 amp charge controller is $22. Also a good choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased one of their 100 watt suitcase kits 5 years ago, it has performed very well, really helps to give a boost to the panels mounted on the roof. Pretty durable as well, one time I left it on our metal rolling tonneau cover over our truck bed, next day found the wind had blown it off face down unto the ground, about 10' away from the truck.

Thought it was a goner for sure, after removing all the dirt, sticks, and rocks the wind had driven into every nook and cranny of the suitcase it worked as if nothing had occurred. Did lose the charge controller as it went through a major storm and it was not water resistant, ordered another from Renogy that is waterproof and it has endured a few storms without issue since.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good service to you will keep you as a customer and get others to try them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad