cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cummins Onan Generator oil

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
After countless hours of searching, I could not find the the oil specs recommended for the rv generator. I finally broke down and went to my local Cummins center, and bought the factory Onamax 15w-40. I say broke down, but honestly at $5.50/quart, i cant think of a reason to use anything else. But for anyone else looking for the specs, here they are:

API Certifications - CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CG-4, OF-4, OF/SL

As I said, 15w-40 is what they said to use, which is part #326-5336 for a quart. A quick search of my standard go-to Mobil 1, showed it did not meet all the same specs.

FYI- hope this helps.
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Dually Duramax L5P
2015.5 Jayco Seismic 3902
2015 EZGO Express S4 buggy
13 REPLIES 13

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
As previously mentioned 15W-40 weight oil is typically diesel engine lubricating oil and will meet the viscosity recommendations for almost any operating temperatures where you normally run your gas engine Onan genny. Although they are listed on the Onamax label, a lot of the specs that the OP listed are obsolete and have been superseded by more recent API specs/certifications which are generally backwards compatible. Onan's marketing and advertising department is just trying to confuse you and motivate you to spend more money on THEIR product. API CJ-4 and SM specs are current. Chevron DELO 400LE, Mobil Delvac, and Shell Rotella will all meet the specs Onan requires and typically cost about $12 to $14 for a 4 quart bottle. (less when on sale) Today I just went into Camping World and they want $11.95 for a quart Onamax genny 15W-40 oil. Aaaaahhh, no thank you. The above referenced products are widely available (Walmart, Costco, Kragen, Napa, Autozone, Oreilys, etc.) and, IMO the best deals in any town.

Onan manufacturers generators, they do not manufacture/blend oil. They simply buy bulk oil made by others that meets their specifacitions, repackage it in their proprietary containers and +-double/triple the price. If you prefer to buy Onamax oil or other $$$$$$$$ designer/boutique oils (synthetic) suit yourself.

Chum lee

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Rotella T is a batch oil

and far superior to plain Rotella oil in every single respect.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Page 26 of the manual Charles linked above.

Which type of oil (by service designation) is going to depend on the Generator being Diesel or Gasoline Fueled. That chart seems to recommend the same viscosity for both fuel types according to anticipated temperature. Says Synthetic is OK after break-in.

Interesting note about Air-Cooled Onan gennys: Best Summer Viscosity (32* to 100*) is Straight 30HD.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put the same stuff in it that I put in my big Cummins: Delvac 1300 15W-40. Heck, it will probably age out before I get enough hours to change it. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go, everything you need to know about your Onan generator.

http://power.cummins.com/sites/default/files/literature/rv/F-1123-EN.pdf

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
I use 5w-40 Rotella syn. Available everywhere.

X2
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I use 5w-40 Rotella syn. Available everywhere.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use the same oil for both the Onan 8KW Quiet Diesel and the Cummins ISB-02 diesel in our MH. Same specs for both, why bother with another oil to buy or keep on hand.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
benb21601 wrote:
After countless hours of searching, I could not find the the oil specs recommended for the rv generator. I finally broke down and went to my local Cummins center, and bought the factory Onamax 15w-40. I say broke down, but honestly at $5.50/quart, i cant think of a reason to use anything else. But for anyone else looking for the specs, here they are:

API Certifications - CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CG-4, OF-4, OF/SL

As I said, 15w-40 is what they said to use, which is part #326-5336 for a quart. A quick search of my standard go-to Mobil 1, showed it did not meet all the same specs.

FYI- hope this helps.

FWIW, the specs that you list are diesel oil specs. Mobil 1 is for gas engines.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I use M1 Ow-40 in my 4K Onan, just because.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Is it full synthetic? Because of the way splash lubrication works, I wouldn't use anything else, just because a small amount of oil has to do a lot of work.

Doesnt say synthetic on it anywhere, but it does say premium blend whatever that means. In talking to the service/parts managers, they said a couple things different in the Onamax is anti foam and anti splash. Either way, this one wont void the warranty, I gotta believe they stick their name on what they want in the equipment.
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Dually Duramax L5P
2015.5 Jayco Seismic 3902
2015 EZGO Express S4 buggy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Is it full synthetic? Because of the way splash lubrication works, I wouldn't use anything else, just because a small amount of oil has to do a lot of work.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine