cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Single windows to Double Pane?

I am seriously looking at buying a 2010 Tango 311BHSS TT.

I weathered a nasty last winter in Calgary Alberta with temperatures down to about minus 34C or about -30F in a 97 Triple E Topaz 3 season unit. It was a little on the tough side.

Looks like another Alberta winter in a TT for me this year.

This Tango I am looking at has enclosed heated underbelly and tanks, but has single glazed windows.
It is a bit of a step up for me in size - this TT is nearly 35 feet long overall. But I really like it.

Question is, does anyone know if the typical windows in the late model TT's utilize the same frame whether the glass is single or dual pane?

This unit has everything I want in a newer TT except double glazed windows.

I ask about the same frame from single or dual because my thought is if the frames permit, I will pull the single glass out and replace it with dual pane glass.
Replacing the glass itself in all the windows is no big deal, but replacing the whole window is too much of an expense. I can have the glass made and install it myself for less than a grand.

And another thing, does anyone know what brand windows the Tango uses? If I knew, I could contact the manufacturer and ask them about the frames.

Thanks guys! Uncle Bob just might get the Tango he has been wanting for a few years.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
14 REPLIES 14

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
I have factory installed double pane windows (part of the Arctic package) and they are good to around 0°F.

Below that temperature, I use two layers of ¼" bubble wrap with the bubbles against bubbles. This allows light in while providing privacy and insulation.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with inserting 1 1/2" extruded foam board inside the window cavities. The frame will still ice but the foam board cuts down a lot of the heat transfer. I now have residential, Low-E sliders on two windows and a static Low-E window in one location. I'm real happy about how they perform. Still, at -0, I would insert the foam board at night, it just helps so much.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I can guarantee that the Tango will not do much if any better in a Canadian winter. I would not spend the winter in an RV in Canada.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what ever you do, add some thick drapes to give further insulation.
bumpy

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Chast,

Unfortunately Bob is going to experience DOUBLE digit cold, for days and even weeks at a time. He needs to do everything he can to cut down on heating losses.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can use the same frame to go from single pane to daul pane, it would be cheaper to just use plexiglass or some foil insulation during the cold months, heck even dual pane needs extra insulation during bad cold months.

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi--as a twenty year (and counting) full-timer who has spent many winters in our RVs in single digit temperatures over the years, I second the motion for either Plexiglas or window film instead of going to the trouble of trying to replace single-pane with double-pane windows. Having had both, I can tell you that the double-pain (pane) windows don't make that much difference. You still get much cold from the metal frames plus you have to deal with seal failures and window fogging with the double glazing. Save yourself the money and the aggrevation and insulate what you have. Stay warm!
chartrue2@aol.com

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the double pane window frames are wider(thicker). When we have had new RV's that the OEM forgot to install the double pane, they have to send a complete set of new windows AND the inside retainer rings to R&R the windows. Doug

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If you are staying in the same place, I've seen some RV-ers use double-sided tape and a 3M window insulator kit, using a hair dryer to shrink it into place, for another layer of dead air space between the window and the RV. It might not hurt to find some way to put a small container of desiccant in there as well, so a small leak doesn't make the clear plastic film a spot for condensation to take place.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is an outfit near Vancouver, WA. that makes dual pane windows and replacement windows for RVs. But get out your BIG checkbook.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably either remove and replace with dual-pane, or a DIY project as described
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bob,

I would do a sandwich of thin plexiglass. One on the outside of the existing glass and one on the inside. That will give you a triple glazed window.

On the outside I'd cover the entire frame. Add a four inside strip of Styrofoam to the bottom of each window on the outside. It will not look nice, but it will keep the bottom of the glass warm on the inside, so that when condensation forms it will roll down the glass, hit the warm surface, and return to the air inside the RV.

I'd be tempted to cover the entire frame on the inside.

On the inside I'd make up reflectrix or similar covers which would cover the entire window for use after the sun is down. Use industrial velcro so you can put the covers on at night. I leave my expensive Insulbright covers on during the day time on the non sunny side of the RV.

I'm sure you know the grade of clear silicone to use.

I'm also certain you are aware it is the air gap that makes double glazing effective. It needs to be a skinny gap--because you don't want convection currents inside the cavity you are creating.

BTW I'd still add the dual window fans to the cold air return. That way, on days when the 1500 watt heater is enough the heated basement will get some air going through it. Nothing is more frustrating than a fresh water line freeze up.

Be sure to do something with the fridge--either the kit from Norcold, or some sort of thermostatically controlled heat strip in that area. I went through 4 bulbs last winter during wind driven blizzards that destroyed them.

I'm adding the ARP device to my fridge this year.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
I have to assume you are talking about the frame around the actual glass and not the frame the glass units insert into. A double pane glazing unit will be thicker/wider and will not fit inside of the same frame the single pane unit is wrapped with. There is also the possibility that new double pane glazed glass assemblies will not fit into the same frame that inserts into the exterior walls of the camper.

You could accomplish a similar affect by placing plexiglass on the inside of the existing windows. I would want to cut the plexiglass to match the height and length of the existing window frames
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno beans about travel trailers, having only owned B's an a C. My totally-uneducated guess would be to expect the frames to be different, but fit the same holes.

But if Tango is still in business, I'd try calling them and ask whose windows they use. If they're not in business anymore, take some close-up pics of the frames showing distinctive detail. Then go with the pics and see if any of the local RV repair people can identify them.

The only window brand I know of is Hehr. You might visit their website and nose around a bit to see if there's anything to be learned.

Good luck!

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')