cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charge across 2 6V batteries is 11.78. Is that right?

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
A few days ago I installed a new Intellipower PD9245C converter and 2 new Duracell 6V batteries in series. At the battery terminals, one battery reads 5.87 and the other 5.91, for a total of 11.78. The Charge Wizard light stays solid and never goes into Desulfation Mode. Does this sound right?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
20 REPLIES 20

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh MEX smart chargers are not for daily charging for long term service. Smart chargers are just to get your car started when you leave the lights or radio on too long. Then the normal charging system takes over.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Rely on that for off grid camping. With a generator for a month. Then test its intelligence with a hydrometer. Power Princess camping is as inauthentic as chocolate flavored puffs cereal. A month's undercharging is enough to permanently encapsulate too many plates with hardened sulfates.

I used to camp months at a time fully cycling the batteries and get 8 years service out of a car jar RV battery. Boondock and count cycles rendered. How many RV batteries get cycled 12 times in 3 years and then float belly up? With a smart charger. My 9 year old Concorde battery last tested at 91% capacity. Time to do a reconditioning charge. My 2 volt cells are going on 23 years. Think I may saved ten or 20 grand?

If smart chargers now have AI to know the state of charge please clue me in ๐Ÿ™‚

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 9200 is not a Fraudulent smart charger. It's a darn good one.
In fact in research I've done over the last 15 years None better.

Though that said. I assume occasionally one goes out the door... defective (Why they have a warranty).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure glad I retired before the advent of fraudulent smart battery chargers.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Absolute agreement.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What should my 6 volt batteries read, NOT connected to a charge source?

about 6.4 volts
The actual resting voltage, or the voltage a battery will settle at 12-24 hours after being removed from the charger, is closer to 2.1 volts per cell, or about 6.4 volts for a 6v battery, and 12.7 volts for a 12v battery. These numbers assume 100% healthy cells, and may vary a bit lower for older batteries.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I do not see why almost all the responses talk about old batteries???? The OP stated NEW Converter and NEW Batteries. So, when plugged into 120 power, the voltage AT the Batteries should be at least over 12.8 volts usually 12.9 to 13.6 volts. Anything LESS and his system is not working correctly. Doug

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Okay, I finally resolved my issues with the charging and everything looks nominal. The only remaining issue is a low tick, tick, tick noise coming from the area of the converter--one tick every 2 seconds or so. Is that normal? What could it be?

Thanks everybody for your support! I've been a member of this forum for many years and it always amazes me how helpful people here are.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A heavily sulfated battery can show 12.8 volts. The problem? It may have 10% of it's original amp hour capacity. Voltage is only useful when battery is not sulfated. It's a **** poor way to determine battery condition.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Correlate weak sister cell gravity with state of charge voltage. It may be significantly different than above chart. The battery must must must be fully charged before doing that. Charge on shore power until ALL CELLS are gently bubbling. Charge correctly and get 300% added life span. Depending how much you abuse by undercharging.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The use of a hydrometer cuts through the fog and tells you in easy to understand terms yes-or-no, are the batteries getting charged enough to avoid early death. Look at a life cycle chart then moan when your batteries die before they give 10% of the cycle life.

Without knowledge of how to care for a battery expect to replace batteries every few years.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The wizard light will stay steady until the batteries are (nearly) charged. As far as I have been able to work out, it goes to steady, and the corresponding 14.4V output setpoint, when the battery voltage drops below some value, and stays there until it has been at or near the setpoint voltage for a few hours. It then cycles to the lower setpoint voltages and corresponding flashing light signals. The lowest of these does bump the output to the higher voltage for 15 minutes every 24 hours, what they call desulfation mode.

The actual output voltage may be less than the setpoint because of current and power limits, and generally will be when low batteries are receiving a charge.

In short, the converter is behaving as designed, from what you have written.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Read The 12 Volt Side of Life, I found it very helpful.