cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't get key fob for a sprinter

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been trying to get a replacement key fob for my 2018 PleasureWay XLMB built on a 2017 chassis from Mercedes for over a year and a half and they keep telling me it's not available. Turns out it would be available if I didn't have any working key fob which would require that I have the vehicle towed to a dealership where upon they would order key fobs(2) and this process takes two weeks. After the key fobs arrive, The dealership would then do the necessary programming and charge you about $400+. Of course you pay the towing.

It's not the cost of the key fob that's an issue to me rather MB's refusal to sell me one key fob without having to buy two at a time. But wait! they won't just sell you two key fobs up front. You have to be stuck somewhere and be towed to a MB dealership and wait at least two weeks for the fobs to arrive.

I'm am clear on the details of this issue. I've spoken to dealership and Mercedes corporate office repeatedly and am told that that's corporate policy period. Never ever again am I owning a MB product.
13 REPLIES 13

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder: As it turns out, the key in the fob manually/ mechanically allows you to start the engine without any electronic signal. I was told that by the MB technician and confirmed by removing the battery from my key fob, inserting the key and starting the engine.

The new key fob I will be purchasing will set and reset the alarm along with locking and unlocking the doors. This is the function of my original key fob that has failed.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
So this new key fob will unlock the doors, and also start the engine?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Well after thinking long and hard about the inability to get a replacement key fob from MB, I remembered that I had an alarm system installed in my rv and it was activated when I used the one still working key fob to set it and/or lock the doors. So I thought, I wonder if I can get a remote/key fob for the alarm system which would in. turn also lock and unlock the doors? So after visiting the shop that installed my alarm system, they confirmed that yes, it would work. I now have an appointment for this Friday wherein I will pay $49.99 for a new alarm key fob and about 1/2 labor to program the fob to my alarm/door lock system. Am I happy or what!!!

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
WOW nothing like being told your being ripped off.
"You vill pay, and you vill enjoy it!"

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your feedback. To be clear on my issue with MB: I have contacted 3 different MB dealers with the same result, none available. I have had a locksmith that specializes strictly in European cars spend over three hours trying to reprogram my faulty key fob with no success because he said only MB has the proper equipment to do so. I have spoken at length with MB Customer Care in New Jersey. This is the corporate headquarters for customer complaints and they refused to change corporate policy that they dictate to local MB dealers. They did suggest that I could have the vehicle towed in and express to the dealership my desperate situation and then I guess acquire and pay $800($400/fob and programming x 2) to get my 2 key fobs of which I only need 1.

Valhala 360 I just might take the approach you suggested. I'm still concerned about paying for two fobs when I only need one. After all my kids still need to eat no matter what problems I encounter.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new car and were given only one key fob and were told a second would be provided later with no time-line. Reason was shortage of chips. Cost of new car north of 70 grand.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
So is this a spare or has the rig been unusable for over a year?

If it was a spare, I would drive in, then tell them you lost the fob and were towed in...please order a new one. This would appear to qualify per the policy.

Once they've ordered and you've paid, suddenly find the key and drive away. Then you can return in 2 weeks and pick up your new fobs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Still certain chip shortages and dealers can't get them. As a result newer sprinters like our MH came with 4 key fobs. Crazy.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
A local reputable locksmith with a thriving business made an extra key that will start the truck and also a smaller key that will unlock the doors and tail gate should I lose my OEM fob. Cost for both keys was $80.00 out the door and included extra key for camper shell rear door. 3 for the price of one. Life is a breeze.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would speak to a different dealership. Your dealership seems have have something wrong. Another option is to speak to a good locksmith and visit the Mercedes related forums.

Finally, what did PleasureWay say about it?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We lost one of our Smart car (Mercedes product) keys a couple of years back and Mama went to the dealer and had another the same day.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
The key fob I need allows you to start the engine as one function and the other unlocks or locks the doors. Not sure what the key fobs other people sell do.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's so difficult, why are there all kinds of places selling key fobs for MB Sprinters? I'm confused.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"