cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can anyone recommend a tankless on demand water heater?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently on 30A and would like to fill a soaking tub with hot water if possible. It would have to be hard-wired into my breaker box. I'm wondering if that's possible with the amps I have to work with. If everything else is off in the rig is there a unit that will allow me to fill a tub in 20-25 min. for a hot soak? I'm guessing it would have to be under 20 amps. I've seen some that are 60 and one tonight that is exactly 20 amps. Wondering if anyone ever tried doing this.

Thnks much...
39 REPLIES 39

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
How about a cowboy hottub!!!
https://cowboyhottubs.com/photos%2Fmore-info

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Another spamming spammer from spam-town.

Apparently James wants us to visit his water softener website.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

jamesmarkk
Explorer
Explorer
Similarly, you use the water softener because it provides soft water which causes a lot of peoples to drink soft water and save a life from the hard minerlas. Here link checks it ***Link Removed***https://www.watersoftenernow.com

jamesmarkk
Explorer
Explorer
Yet, water is very salty in our world which causes us to use salty water. So it was very harmful so we use a water softener because the water softener provides saltless water. https://www.watersoftenernow.com

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
GOTTA BE SMARTER THAN THE PROBLEM...

Styrofoam floats right?

Styrofoam is cheap right?

Styrofoam can be broken into pieces right?

Ever time a lidless pot filled with water till it boils? Then do the same thing using a lid?

For some stupid reason, the foam chunks arrange themselves automatically if left alone.

Unless you're planning on an Olympic swimming pool the styrofoam is a snap to snag and stack alongside the pool until you're finished soaking. This is not gyro gearloose theory I use it and it works great

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
cannesdo wrote:
Just an FYI. If you've watched Wheel of Fortune every night of your adult life and do the same thing every day and see life as a paint by number you're probably not going to understand my dreams.

I'm amazed at how people phrase things as an imperative. "You're going to want to"..."it would be better to". Or "Why would you want to do that?" I'm asking because this is what would fill me with delight. Shed and all. If you don't get it you don't get me. A guy in Arizona screamed his head off at me out of the blue one day before the election. Said, "I HATE people like you." Wow. What kind of person am I?" People who have NOTHING. You should be out there hooked up to some guy and raising a family!!!!"

I have so much more than he will ever know. I nearly died 30 years ago and the little things bring me more joy...I love my solitude and I love my shed, which I renovated last year and turned into a bright happy space.

You're boxed in by your own minds. So eager to turn strangers into enemies.

"There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth."

What you ask for in reality cannot be done with the restrictions you have placed. Your RV electrical service since it is 30A at 120 is only 3600W max you have to work with.

3600W is nothing when attempting to heat a large amount of water in a short time. You get roughly approx 3.4 BTUs per watt, your 30A service would give you a max equivalent of 12,240 BTUs roughly!

So, a electric demand water heater just is not possible in reality.

Now, a propane demand water heater is a different story and would be possible to do. However, it will use a considerable amount of propane (120,000 BTU burner is typical for home single point types). Requiring a good sized propane source, plumbing and regulator. They are considerably more expensive to buy starting around $600.

So, taking this into consideration, I would recommend a different route..

Perhaps you should consider a portable inflatable two or 4 person hot tub/spa..

The portable units do not use huge amounts of electricity, they typically do not use a electric heating element. Instead they use the heat from the spa water pump to heat the water (cools the motor as a bonus).

The downside is may not be as tough as a regular hot tub, might have a short life span.

You most likely would need to use pool chems since it will take a long time to heat the water so you won't be filling and dumping often.

The upside is they are not super expensive, often can be found starting around $500 which will be the lower cost rout compared to other ways of heat a large amount of water in a short time.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
You have a shed, so you probably have room for your tub and a 30 gallon Propane standard hot water tank.
Keep the HWT in the pilot mode, except when you want a good soaking, just turn it to high about 30 minutes before you begin to fill the tub.
When finished just turn the HWT control knob back to pilot. (saving propane when not in use)

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever way you plan to heat the water,
I think having INSULATED tub would keep it warm for long time

One could also use insulated cover so the tub can be used several times so as not to waste water..in Jpan for example this is quite common.

May sound gross to some ,
but people there wash and scrub their bodies very well before geting into soaking tub
Motorhome w a soaking tub

https://youtu.be/tyxs_Gjf6fM

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo, I feel your pain. You cant start a thread sometimes without someone wanting to argue that you aren't doing it right. Its like they feel threatened that someone thought of a better way than they did to do something even tho they have no idea of your individual circumstances. If they want to tout their own idea, then they should Start Their Own Thread.

Now that said, permit me a slight diversion OT to comment to MEXICOWANDERER. Sir, toss some diatomaceous earth around the fireant mound. When they shift the nest, do it again. Its death to them and perfectly safe for mammals (other than maybe getting constipated if you eat too much of it).

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI. If you've watched Wheel of Fortune every night of your adult life and do the same thing every day and see life as a paint by number you're probably not going to understand my dreams.

I'm amazed at how people phrase things as an imperative. "You're going to want to"..."it would be better to". Or "Why would you want to do that?" I'm asking because this is what would fill me with delight. Shed and all. If you don't get it you don't get me. A guy in Arizona screamed his head off at me out of the blue one day before the election. Said, "I HATE people like you." Wow. What kind of person am I?" People who have NOTHING. You should be out there hooked up to some guy and raising a family!!!!"

I have so much more than he will ever know. I nearly died 30 years ago and the little things bring me more joy...I love my solitude and I love my shed, which I renovated last year and turned into a bright happy space.

You're boxed in by your own minds. So eager to turn strangers into enemies.

"There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth."

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
Why not just spend a night in a hotel or lodge occasionally. The ambiance inside a shed is pretty sad.

I'm not hung up on stuff like that. Any place can be magical. Fairly lights and candles, rain on the roof and no one knowing I'm there? To me it is the ultimate covert op.

I hate hotels.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
John Burke wrote:
CANNESDO wrote "Yes, thanks...that sounds good but what is the gallons per minute rating? If I don't have a good output the water in the tub will cool before the tub is full. That's the trick. Finding one with the output capacity that's w/in the Amp rating"

Fill your tub first and use a small pump with the Eccotemp or similar portable, tank less, propane water heater to circulate the water from the tub.
That way you can keep the water temp to your liking for as long as you want.
It is like a hot tub, they just circulate and heat the same water.

Oh, nice!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have Friends in Florida that purchased a 3 bedroom Condo and upgraded the Water heater system to a AC voltage(220) on Demand water heater. They rent the Condo about 50% of the time. They have had numerous complaints from renters that the Jacuzzi tub(about 45 gallons), cannot be used as the On Demand Water heater cannot fill the tub with water hot enough(over 95 degrees) to utilize the Jacuzzi tub comfortably. Doug

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just spend a night in a hotel or lodge occasionally. The ambiance inside a shed is pretty sad.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.