cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper black water tank fluid heats up

tictacball
Explorer
Explorer
We do a lot of winter camping and always thought the furnace was keeping the holding tanks nice and warm. This past trip we noticed that the black water tank was especially hot and the furnace was not used. The only heat source was possibly the water heater. It had been left on over night by accident. The pump was off, but the black water was steaming! Any ideas before we climb in underneath to have a look at what could possibly be the problem?
36 REPLIES 36

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Arcamper wrote:
Did someone put some bleach down the tank? Bleach and urine make a bad gas. DW did that once and the next time I flushed there was a fog coming up from the bowl.

He stated that it was HOT and steaming his private parts. Doug

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
mchero wrote:
2 many 2 wrote:
If the OP is hooked up to city water and the water hose is in the sun, that sun heated water could be getting to the toilet.

OP would have to pump allot of water into that black tank to get it up to "steaming".

All of the reply's that are picking on me are correct, I was just throwing out another idea that had not been mentioned, just in case the OP was confused with warmer water in the bowl instead of the tank.
I have heard of people that thought their faucet water was hooked up to hot water instead of cold, just to find out that it was hot or warmer water coming from the fresh water hose in the sun. :E

I am still anxiously awaiting the final outcome. Very interesting

Best of luck to everyone :B

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Did someone put some bleach down the tank? Bleach and urine make a bad gas. DW did that once and the next time I flushed there was a fog coming up from the bowl.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
safeman wrote:
I found this about septic tanks.

"Bacteria do generate heat when they digest organic material, as is most easily seen in compost piles. Those piles can get really hot โ€“ 130 degrees Fahrenheit is not unusual."

Not sure if it applies to an RV Black Tank. Maybe it depends on how long stuff has been in there?

I will also add, I have never done that experiment the OP is talking about, opening the valve when actually using the toilet. Is this common? Not something I would even think to do.

No...this is not common.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
safeman wrote:

"Bacteria do generate heat when they digest organic material, as is most easily seen in compost piles. Those piles can get really hot โ€“ 130 degrees Fahrenheit is not unusual."

Not sure if it applies to an RV Black Tank. Maybe it depends on how long stuff has been in there?

I agree, and depending on the composition of what is in the tank, level of the tank and how long it has been there. And have we established the definition of this steam? Warmer air pushing into a cooler space is not uncommon. If actual steam (visible) that would definitely be a sight.

I will also add, I have never done that experiment the OP is talking about, opening the valve when actually using the toilet. Is this common? Not something I would even think to do.

dedmiston
Correction:

After a little mathing, it looks like the volume of a 3/4" ID hose is more than I thought.

For 25 feet, the volume would be .574 gallons and for 50 feet, it's 1.147 gallons.

I still doubt the water gets hot enough to heat up the tank, especially if it's less than a gallon and a half.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
The solar effect of a black hose doesn't make sense to me either. Even if it's a 50' hose, how much volume could the hose contain? I wouldn't expect it to be more than half a gallon.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
2 many 2 wrote:
If the OP is hooked up to city water and the water hose is in the sun, that sun heated water could be getting to the toilet.

Hmmm now there's a thought......perhaps rescuing the danglies.

Lets say it is 100 degrees. The water hose hook up, HOW can it get hotter than that 100 degrees? If so, then how come the Sink Faucets do not bellow steam and be hot? Doug

safeman
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Probably an orbital power station misaligned, pumping microwaves into your tank.

If it's 65 outside why would the furnace need to run?

This does not make sense, suspect leg-pulling going on here.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
tictacball wrote:
No city water, out in the bush. Not tank heaters, 65 degrees outside, no furnace on inside. Will go underneath soon, just need time to do it

Wow, This is a good one. I can't wait to hear the outcome. Best of luck............

tictacball
Explorer
Explorer
No city water, out in the bush. Not tank heaters, 65 degrees outside, no furnace on inside. Will go underneath soon, just need time to do it

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
How often do you drain the tank? If it was a fresh water issue, wouldn't the bowl water be hot too?

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
2 many 2 wrote:

OP would have to pump allot of water into that black tank to get it up to "steaming".
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel