cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bummed, barely used AC already Not Performing.

Barkoff
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe my AC is already in need of attention!

I have a Lance 950 with Colman Mach on the roof, the blower is blowing well, the air starts out cool not cold, then instead of getting cooler, seems to warm.

The Camper is a 2013, not much use, but the generator and AC gets run for fifteen minutes at least once a month. Have never used the AC for more than a half hour. When it worked, it did a bang up job.

Any ideas, is it common for AC units to lose their coolant charge this soon? The camper has not been in any dusty areas yet,I doubt the filters or coils are dirty, only urban camping out on the wharf or along the cliffs. Are rooftop units that temperamental?

Dammit!
28 REPLIES 28

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
We rented a class A this summer and the AC died. Fan blew air but couldn't hear the compressor kick on. It was only a year old. First guy that looked at it said the Freon was low and they are a sealed unit. That means non serviceable. Had to be replaced. This guy didn't have one available but another place had one in stock. He told us the same thing. Non servivceable, had to be replaced. The guy who replaced the unit said he is seeing more and more of these dying at an early age.
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
These rooftop A/C units are usually durable and long-lived. All refrigerant connections are totally soldered together. No connections and hoses like automotive. Not even service ports (that can leak) like residential central systems.
Try a 30-amp campground pedestal-type supply. At least a 20-amp with a short heavy duty extension cord. I hope not, but your genny may be inadequate. At least be sure you're using a heavy cord.
Remove the plastic shroud. Rest your hand on the top of the compressor (NOT a connection!) while somebody turns A/C on. Do you feel it run? Two metal tubes will be connected to the compressor. The smaller one should get warm (HOT after a long run) and the larger one should cool (and finally get COLD).
Disconnect power and take the small cover off the driver side sheet metal that hides the capacitors. Take pix of capacitors and the nearby wiring diagram. Post them.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
If you are running off the generator make sure you have enough voltage when the compressor kicks on and runs. It should be easy to hear the compressor run. I was running off a extension cord on a 15 amp circuit and my AC was not working correctly. Not getting very cool and the compressor kept kicking in and out. I checked the voltage and I was only getting around 105 volts when compressor was on. I found a 20 amp circuit and the problem was solved as I was at about 116 volts when the compressor was running. Perhaps you have a generator problem. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
First you need to figure out if the compressor is even running or just the fan. Does your thermostat have a fan switch with ON and AUTO? If so, turn it to ON before turning the mode to cool. If nothing changes (sound wise) when you turn on the cooling the compressor isn't running. If the compressor isn't running it may be a loose wire or bad thermostat. There are separate wires for fan and cooling between the thermostat and AC.

Honestly, leaking coolant seems least likely to me.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2008 AC unit is solid. Are you still under warranty?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Barkoff - I had a similar problem right before I took off.

There are a couple of things to check.

1. There are four screws inside (Phillips) Remove them
The cover is off, and inside there are four screws in the corner. Insure they are snug (not torqued down). The unit shouldn't move when you wiggle it.
2. If under the cover there is an intake side (where the air returns to the AC) and an output side (where the cool air exits). Between them is a piece of insulation - it's generally wedged in place. Make sure that the piece of insulation is wedged in place. That's where Newman Fulltimer is referencing above.

Mex is correct. Initially when you turn on the AC, the fan will blow immediately and it may take a few seconds before the AC starts to cool. if you don't hear the AC run, then there's other issues.

believe it or not, its easier to tell when the AC unit is cooling by being up on the roof with the cover off and the AC unit turned on. Initially you'll hear the fan, but when the cooling part (Compressor) starts, you'll hear it kick in - a subtle buzzing sound.

Good Luck!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Return air goes thru filter then thru evap coil to get chilled then over to discharge plenum where it get blown into rig
The wall between return side and discharge side should be sealed so cold/warm air no not mix.

That is the 'divider'

Also........2013 year.
Have you ever cleaned the return air filter?

They are NOT your household type filters that can go a whole season .....once a month even when not being used much. Just a thin foam filter.
Also evap coil.it gets dirty....poor cooling capability
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Barkoff wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
make sure the devider is sealed and tight(the foam board between intake and exhaust)

Don't know a thing about AC, but we are taking off on Friday, I'll go up top tomorrow, pop the cowling and see if something obvious calls to me. I'll look for that divider as well. Is the problem most likely up on the roof, or under the cowling inside the camper? I'm guessing up top is the place to start?

Only so much I know what to look for before I'll have to take it in and pay somebody.

it's inside where the filter is drop your interior cover

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The roof airs on my rig used to run smooth when just the fan was turning but when the compressor started in a person could feel the shuddering. Dang frustrating right before a trip! Best of luck for a fast fix!

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to Tech Issues.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Barkoff
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
make sure the devider is sealed and tight(the foam board between intake and exhaust)

Don't know a thing about AC, but we are taking off on Friday, I'll go up top tomorrow, pop the cowling and see if something obvious calls to me. I'll look for that divider as well. Is the problem most likely up on the roof, or under the cowling inside the camper? I'm guessing up top is the place to start?

Only so much I know what to look for before I'll have to take it in and pay somebody.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar problem on my 981 Max (2005). It wa ultimately repaired under warranty by adding a valve so coolant could be added. Lance first insidted that they were going to replace the unit but because FEMA was sucking up every RV A/C to equip trailers for Katrina victims none were available.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
They are normally very dependable.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods