cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bluetooth priniting?

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
I am at a loss on trying to find a solution for us printing photos and other misc stuff while full timing. I would like to get a Bluetooth printer, not wifi, not LAN. is there such a beast that is under $150? We want to be able to print from smart phones and from the laptops. The printer is in a cabinet above the fridge. Due to space issues. Sorry for the long description.

Thank you for the help in advance...
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD
12 REPLIES 12

phays
Explorer
Explorer
I have an HP100 bluetooth printer. Just a printer, not a scanner. I don't print photographs so can't comment on its ability there. I bought it because it was small, battery operated if needed and now wires unless I am charging the battery. It is a pricey little devil though, about $200.

If you buy one, you will need an USB cord to set it up but that is the last you will need the cord.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
I was not aware of that wilanddij Thank You, now off to get a router...
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
And not having WiFi all the time, how do you connect via WiFi without internet?
You don't need to connect to the internet to get components on your wifi router to talk to each other. Once you have configured the components on the router their SW/FW will allow them to interface as needed.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the wonderful advice. I do appreciate it.

The reason I am leaning towards BT is for space. And not having WiFi all the time, how do you connect via WiFi without internet? USB is only good for about 10 ft of cable run. Unless I have been fibbed to by the sales people.

The printer is in the cabinet above the fridge with towels. One laptop is in the bedroom with us for movie watching, the other one is mobile like we are. I could just do as the better half asked and put it on a shelf that I will make and put under the dining room table...
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
HP has a direct print feature on the newer printers that doesnt need a modem or wifi to print direct fom apple devices... I dont print many photos so you'll hafta pick a model on yer own.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
emaav,

If BT connectivity to your camera is the important factor, you can get a $3 BT Dongle to plug into a USB Port on your computer. This will give you the ability to retrieve the photos from your cameras via BT and send them to your print via WiFi.

This is exactly what I do with my non WiFi Camera.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why BT? WIFI works better and is cheaper. We have a cheap Brother and the free app works great.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The "free" HP printer Wal mart gave me last Jan when I purchased a new laptop prints from smartphones and the laptop. I specifically made sure that the "free" printer did that when I ordered the new laptop. It is an HP ENVY 4500. Less than $100. Doug

My Android and my wife's I Phone both print to the HP Envy as well as her I Pad. Doug

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
A HP Deskjet 3050A (inexpensive) on a Verizon wifi router or a Verizon wireless wifi hotspot works well with my PC, DW's iPad and iPhone, and my Droid. Pretty sure other HP models will work just as well.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
Apple routers also act as usb-printer bridges. Other brands of routers do the same for PCs. To print from an iphone or ipad you will probably need a printer that is airprint capable.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Tom.

I have found some Bluetooth only ones, but at over $1000 ouch..
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about Bluetooth but with IPhones and IPads you can print directly to a AirPrint enabled printer and many are available for cheap. I don't know what printing options are available but something to look into.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT