cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blocking tv chanels

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
On our camping trips with OTA antenna is there a way to block/not receive certain channels? After scanning the channels we find that about 1/2 are not watchable. We do not care about seeing religious, spanish language, and infomercials. I would like to eliminate them from my scan so I can switch between the few that we watch. Our last trip we picked up 20 stations but only 4-5 were something we would watch.
14 REPLIES 14

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
So when one breaks camp and moves to a different area are the channels from the last campground still blocked or does disconnecting the AC power return to all channels?

Every time you change locations with a different des of chsnnels you have to rescan or you get nothing.

I wish there was a way to ADD channels. Lots of times if I scan 'this direction' I get a set of channels but when I rotate the antenna I get a different set. None of my 4 TVs has a way to ADD a channel.

I have about a 12 tv's between home, rv and lake house. Out of those I only know of one that can add channels on a scan without losing those that were there already. I can't remember the brand.

I think this it different from the manual add/remove feature. That only works with the channels you have already scanned.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I wish there was a way to ADD channels. Lots of times if I scan 'this direction' I get a set of channels but when I rotate the antenna I get a different set. None of my 4 TVs has a way to ADD a channel.

On my TV, at least, in the add/remove menu option, you can manually key in any channel number and then change it from removed to added. Likewise you can key in the number when watching TV even if it's no on the list of added channels. The list mainly just affects the channel up and down buttons.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing.

Maybe should have gone to Technology Corner.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

MrWizard
Yes on most new TVs, you can delete them or make them favorites
It's a manual process, usually in the settings or scan menu someplace
This is good time to look at the TV operation booklet
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
My remote blocks channels I don't care to watch automatically when I press the CH + or CH - button on the remote. Sometimes I have to use the O/I button if the CH button doesn't work. :W
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most TV's and digital converters you can go to Setup. CHANNEL LIST and delete.

But Well. unless you are using some kind of Automated DVR. this should not be a problem (And on the DVR I can do it too).. Just don't watch the channels you can't watch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
As Drew said. You are not blocking the channels, but just taking them out of the list that show up when entering the channel numbers or doing the channel up/down.
When you do the rescanning processing, new location or even same location, you are restarting the process over.

edit add, at least that's the way my TV works.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Rescanning would usually reset the list of "valid" channels. The menu to deselect channels is typically just taking them off the list of channels the TV will go to; it's not blocking them permanently or anything like that. (Likewise, usually you can add channels to the list that the auto scan didn't pick up, or even build the list entirely manually if you're especially bored.)

As with anything, it's possible that things may occasionally differ between TVs.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
So when one breaks camp and moves to a different area are the channels from the last campground still blocked or does disconnecting the AC power return to all channels?
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
If you go into the menu on your TV, it probably has a menu item for channels. Open that and you will probably find a list of the channels you picked up with check boxes so you can choose the ones you want to keep and the ones you want to skip.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about all TVs but both brands in my RV have me go to a 'setup' mode on my menu and there I can do an auto scan for OTA antenna or cable. I can alternatively add specific channels or delete specific channels - one at a time. That won't "block" the unwanted channels but it will eliminate the unwanted channels from your remote
www.putt10.net

Takamine
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should be able to do that on your TV. Usually located as a menu item located somewhere close to where you choose to scan the channels.
2016 Springdale 2600TB
2012 Ford F-150

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Our TV has a place in the menu to make channels disappear.