cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blank Screen on Coleman Mach Digital Thermostat

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my original analog thermostat with a digital one a few years back. It was much easier to operate except it didn't last. (Assuming blank screen means end of it's life.)

The price on Amazon.ca for the same unit shows 5-6x what I paid for before.

Options are:

1. Buy another analog one which costs about the same as the last digital one.

2. I was told a generic brand digital thermostat sold at Walmart can be had for a reasonable price. It might need dry batteries to operate.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Years ago there was a very popular home computer that had plug in cartaridges. One of which was a MODEM and it tended to be plugged in once and left there for all time.... Well frequently they would fail.. you unplugged. plugged back in and Viola they worked.. WHY?
The answer: There is a virus among us. and it loves low current electrical connections.. and as it grows. it insulates the connection.

When you removed and replaced the fuse you cleaned it.

Suggest some DE-OX-IT two types.. First is the de-0xidizer This will have a number after the name LIke De-Ox-it 5 or De-OX-IT 100 (5 percent and 100 percent strength. I have both in stock) And then there is De-Ox-It Gold.. that is the protectant.

GOt the good stuff at Micro Center Used to get it at Radio Shack
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

Today I decided to take a voltmeter to poke around the thermostat to see if there's actually a power supply problem.
Found a manual online and identified the color of the +/- 12VDC connections on the circuit board. There's 13+V across the blue & red wires. Took the circuit board out from the casing to see if there's anything obvious like loose connections or pinched wires. No luck. I reassembled everything together and prepared to throw in the towel. I thought to myself since I only took out the onboard fuse & visually inspected it last time. Why don't I check it's continuity with the ohmmeter meter and it's not blown.
However, when I reinserted the fuse back in, miracle happened. The digital display works again. Only explanation I can think of is it reset itself after power off long enough.
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Our thermostat went blank a couple years ago during a hot, week long trip. Did some quick research, found the 12v power supply wire for the thermostat comes from the furnace. It was labeled "thermostat +12v". There was 12v there, but not at the thermostat. I hotwired it to a light switch right below it, that that is how it works to this day.

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks dougrainer for the advice!

The last time I used the trailer was in August. It wasn't hooked up to shore power and had battery disconnected since. I was prepping the trailer for a trip last weekend and noticed the blank screen on the thermostat. When I switched on the fan manually it worked so I assume there's
12V power supply to the thermostat. Anyway, I will try poking around with a voltmeter to see if I can get anywhere. Disclaimer: I'm no expert in electronics.

When I bought my last Tsat on Amazon.com, it was pre-pandemic and we shopped cross-border and it costed me $50 USD. Exchange rate was quite favorable to CAD then. Since the pandemic shut down, most of the mail collection services on US side has gone out of business. The latest asking price on Amazon.ca (Canadian site) was $285 CAD. With sale taxes and possible import duties and/or brokerage fee added, it could cost a lot more.
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you state your existing tstat IS a RVP(coleman), and you have a blank display, I would bet you have a wiring (power) problem and NOT a bad Tstat. Soime RVP tstats have a on board fuse(glass). Some receive the power(12 volts) from either the furnace or the roof AC. I cannot remember if I ever have had a RVP tstat go "blank" on display that was not power supply related. Of course I only have over 43 years as an RV tech:B On amazon. The LCD Tstat for an RVP is $100. I cannot believe you purchased one for $25. NEVER, unless it was a stolen tstat and then sold on line. Doug

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried replacing the battery in the thermostat?
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore