cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

blackstone griddles

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
any one use a blackstone griddle while camping? I am thinking of getting one. seems like a lot of trouble when it comes to keeping the thing from rusting
10 REPLIES 10

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have both the 17 and 22 in. 17 stays in trailer and 22 at home. No rust on either. We cook everything on it. Don't even bring the bbq any more. With a pizza stone and cover we even make pizza. 22 in. at Walmart with stand, cover and propane hose is a great deal at $147. I like the 22 in. since it has two burners so you can have a hot side and a "hold"(cooler) side if you want. The stand fits the 17 in. as well.
Easy to convert to quick connect with torjik kit.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 17 inch and really like it. Season it with Flax seed oil as they recommend and it will be fine. It cooks eggs, bacon and burgers really good. I've never tried chicken legs but they might be more of a challenge since they lay on a smaller surface area. If anybody has done chicken on it let me know how it went. I discovered if you take the griddle off, it will lay perfectly on your inside 3 burner stove and you can cook it right there.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the 17" last year and it's perfect for the 2 of us. I like the fact that I can cook breakfast (bacon, hashbrowns, eggs) and only have one cooking surface to clean. We've cooked burgers, chicken, chops, and they all turn out great, minus the grill marks of course. Easy clean up and haven't had any rust issues.

RedLionCookie
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 36" that we use for tailgating in the fall. We have a large group and we absolutely love it. As others have said, if you season it properly and take care of it when you're not using it you shouldn't have a problem. Mine has been in my garage since football season in the fall. Getting ready to load it up tomorrow for the weekend. When I checked on it last night it is just as I left it this fall and ready to roll!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
The Blackstone is about the same as having good cast iron. As long as you season it well and store it clean, but oiled well, it should serve you for the season. I would take it out during any long storage time and use it at home during those times.

I use my cast iron predominantly in our S&B, but I have a few items that are seldom used. I will wash, dry and oil well, then put a few pieces of wadded newspaper in them to prevent rust. When I take them out several months later, I rinse them, dry them and they are ready to go again. NEVER use soap of any kind on them.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Season it per their instructions and it will never rust.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

I just purchased the 17" and have it with me for my first trip of the year as we speak.. I was concerned, but I seasoned it 4 times and am thinking that I should be good to go...

I will know in a few weeks when I go out again, tat is when I will see how it looks after usage, and storage...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 36" 4 burner griddle. Top is heavy but easily lifts off and legs fold up for loading into pickup. The reason for the large grill is because I usually camp with 2 other couples. We try to get spots near each other and 36" allows us to cook food for 6 or more at the same time like sausage, bacon, eggs, homefries, and pancakes for 6 all at once.
Thinking about getting a 2 burner for times when I go myself.

Whammon1
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Blackstone Griddles that I carry camping depending on how many will be there. I have the 17 inch and the 22 inch that comes with a great stand.

Once well seasoned there is not a problem with rust and cleanup is a breeze. Both have the optional carry bag that makes transporting easy.

They are great to have and make meal time so much easier especially with the crowd I have at times.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My worry, too. If you have it at home and use it every day, no prob! BUT sitting in the storage bay for 3 weeks until the next outing???????