Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank splash shield problem

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
I assume it's a splash shield anyway.

When we flush our toilet in the motorhome (Thetford Aqua Magic V) things go on down for the first day or two of a trip. Then paper and stuff starts to build up and it won't flush entirely.

I pulled the toilet today to install a new blade seal, and what I see seems to be a splash shield just below the drain pipe. It looks like things are supposed to flush down there, then drain off to the sides into the tank. But instead the TP builds up on this surface. We use the TP that's supposed to dissolve easily, but since it's up on this shield it isn't submersed in water and doesn't dissolve.

I can get everything to move if I use a cleaning wand (like this Valterra wand), but that's a hassle and uses a lot of extra water when we are dry camping.

Any suggestions for handling this problem, other than somehow removing the shield?

I guess I could take a hole saw down through the drain pipe and cut an opening in the shield, but I'm hoping for a better way.

Thanks!
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
20 REPLIES 20

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically waste tanks are sloped...shallow end under inlet pipe.

Whenever using TP you should FILL the toilet bowl FULL prior to flushing so you have good volume to carry stuff away from inlet area

Just the nature of gravity toilets.
Shorter the drop the more likelihood stuff will collect if NOT using enough water when flushing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen or heard of a splash shield, and mine doesn't have one I know for sure, and I don't know when it would ever need one.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never seen a splash shield
Never seen the dreaded "Poop Pyramid" either But have read about it and have helped some folks get rid of one (I just never saw it)

IF you can see STRAIGHT down into the tank..

Valterra Master Blaster is a rinse wand with serious attitude issues (I mean it is serious about blasting the .. er.. ****)

Now I made my own I do not like the "Genuine article" cause the spray jet looks like it would be easy to break off so I made my own..

Actually I made my own before I ever saw the "Genuine item"

1/2 inch pvc. Cap Hose fitting vacuum breaker and valve.

Hose to valve to breaker to enough pipe to reach the bottom of the tank and still be 1 foot above the seat

Cap the lower end then drill a hole just about 1/4 inch (or a bit smaller even) in line with either the blue line or the text line (This is to help you aim) in the SIDE of the cap.. That's the whole job

Put city pressure to the top via the valve and breaker OPen valve after it's in the tank and blast the poop-ces to pieces as Sylvester might say.

You can direct the stream. and raise and lower to chew it up well

This you do while hooked to sewer and with valve open of course

Then when well blasted.. Close valve and run oh say 10-15 gallons into the tank (Just stand on the flush pedal for that many mintues or use the factory flusher) then dump 2 or 3 times

Have a 5" clear piece at the rig end of the dump hose so you can watch the chunks blow
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Never BUT NEVER! camp with your black tank drain open!!!!!!!!!!!

ALWAYS!!!!! Allow the black tank to fill to almost full before dumping!!

IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO FOLLOW THESE STEPS, YOUR SOLIDS WILL MOUND UP!!!
Just like you're describing here. After flushing the tank ALWAYS allow it to fill with enough water to cover the bottom of the tank to prevent the next toilet flush from sticking to the bottom of the tank.

If you follow these hard and fast rules, you will not have any problem with mounds of solids and TP building up in your tank.

RVs are not flush toilets like you have in your house where over a gallon and a half of water move the solids along towards the septic tank or sewer treatment plant with each flush.

I use and recommend HIGHLY a tank treatment called "HAPPY CAMPER" every time I empty my tank. It helps dissolve TP and breakdown the solid but most of all kills the odors. After flushing the tank, fill the bowl, put a scoop of HAPPY CAMPER in the toilet and use your bowl brush to swirl it around to mix it up and clean the inside of the bowl and lip wiping off any excess. Then flush the toilet, fill it again to rinse your bowl and brush before putting thinks away and returning the toilet to use. http://1-happycamper.com/ Use this link to read more about the product. You can find it offered by several vendors on the internet, Amazon and Ebay plus "good" RV supply stores. Shop around.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Just for kicks, do you use LOTS of water when flushing the throne! Not speaking of while cleaning but rather in just the everyday flushing the toilet. I know I will always fill the bowl fairly well before stepping on the pedal to flush. I realize if you are someplace without sewer then doing this might fill the tanks quickly.

We try to, although that is part of the reason I'm changing the blade seal. Usually there isn't a whole lot of water in the bowl, but we do hold the flush lever open to let more water down in there.

So, I'm sure that this at least part of the issue, but the rough texture of the surface is certainly not letting stuff run off down into the tank easily.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for kicks, do you use LOTS of water when flushing the throne! Not speaking of while cleaning but rather in just the everyday flushing the toilet. I know I will always fill the bowl fairly well before stepping on the pedal to flush. I realize if you are someplace without sewer then doing this might fill the tanks quickly.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)