cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black tank chemicals

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
what kind of wast digester does everyone use?? iam wanting to switch i am using ODERLESS it doesnt seem to be working.. iam not a full timer but useto be can i get some feed back please
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member
74 REPLIES 74

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I quit using chemicals in my holding tank about 4 years ago. I get no odors inside the camper. When flushing, the flapper is only open for a few seconds, and a deluge of water is going down the hole, so very little gas can escape from the holding tank. Most of it probably goes up the vent stack, as it should.

I also never clean my holding tank in any way. I simply fill the holding tank to maximum with water at the end of my trip, so that when I open the waste gate I get a "mega flush" pushing all the contents down the poop pipe.

As far as the smell when dumping, unless you are spilling sewage when dumping there should be no smells. The dump station at my storage lot has 2 dump entries - one a threaded PVC cleanout which I use with my threaded adapter, but there is also a traditional "flapper" hole in a cement bowl for people who only have a "elbow in the hole" type of dump.

If you are using the old "elbow in the hole" type of dump then you might have some smells escape. But I always use my threaded adapter so there is no leakage when I dump. Sometimes you get a whiff of gas coming out the "flapper" hole while I'm dumping down the clean-out hole, but oh well. You'll never smell it more than 5 feet away and in 10 years of RVing I've never once had anyone waiting behind me while I dump anyway.

It's cheaper not to use any chemicals, and it's better for the environment.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Lots of water, fill before you dump, dump often and add four or so gallons after dumping. No chemicals needed.

ZACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wish my chems were fragrance free but I bought three gallons of stuff at garage sale for about $2 so I'm almost set for life!

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
I use Aqua-Kem in the little disposable bottles. Ive tried HC and the Porta-Paks but i prefer Aqua-Kem.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Happy Camper! Been using it for years. No odors and it turns everything to liquid. Great product. Try it!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things I liked about happy camper is that it has no fragrance. It gets rid of the sewage odor without adding a perfume odor.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Plain water. If you use enough water and flush your tanks, you don't need any chemicals. The length of time any solids are in your tank isn't nearly long enough for any enzymes to really do anything and they just end up in the recipients' septic system. Been using plain water for the past 7 years and never had an issue. I did install back flush systems on both grey and black and I can say it makes things much easier.
Same here. The chemicals smell worse than the waste. It's a holding tank not a septic tank.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It'n NOT a septic system....It's a holding tank. Any perfume will "mask" the smell. Hell, even Fabuloso.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Naio wrote:
I'm using a cassette toilet for the first time this year. Happy Camper made an enormous difference in the smell when I empty it. Very little smell now.

I assume that when it says organic it means in the chemical sense, carbon-based, rather than in the no pesticides sense. (And yes,the definition of organic for foods is very tightly regulated.)

Formaldehyde is a carcinogen.

I find it hard to believe that anyone is going to breathe enough sewer gas to get hydrogen sulfide poisoning.

Per the FDA - "FDA does not regulate the use of the term โ€œorganicโ€ on food labels. "

That's correct. The FDA doesn't regulate organics, and neither does my Aunt Sally. The regulation is done by the USDA:

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Guide%20to%20Organic%20Certification.pdf

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/CropProducersGuide.pdf

For example, as you can see in the second document, organic farms must have their soil tested each year for 3 years before they begin selling their produce as organic, and every year after that.

Lots of things are organic, that doesn't mean they are healthy. Asbestos is organic, so is Arsenic.

You may be confusing natural with organic, but I see you agree with the point I was making. Formaldehyde and hydrogen sulfide are natural, too. I was assuming people reading this knew that ;-).

And getting to the nitty gritty, the fairly dramatic warning label on Happy Camper says (paraphrasing) " Avoid contact with eyes, avoid prolonged contact with skin, do not swallow, avoid breathing dust, wash thoroughly after handling, flush thoroughly for eye and skin contact, get medical attention if any of the above occur"

Of course, that is also the warning label required on cooking flour, if it is sold for agricultural use, e.g. as in an ingredient in organic pest control. Anything that is a powder has to have this warning.

I'm not saying that Happy Camper is a natural or even a safe product. I'm just saying that this particular warning label, even though it sounds scary, is actually meaningless once you know how the requirements work.

You get the point. Doesn't sound so warm and fuzzy to me. The fact there are all these warnings and unnamed ingredients - no thanks. Sounds more like they don't want to tell you whats in it and they don't have to since you don't eat it

Yes. This is a massive flaw in the current regulation system. Ingredients labels are not required on everything. And then some of the ones that are required are ridiculously scary compared to the actual danger. I fully agree with you that we need better regulations on labeling.

and they use "organic" because it's a marketing tool. If a product that's used to treat a condition invites greater risk than the condition itself - I'll stick with water.

I think that's very wise.

Did you know what I was talking about when I said that organic has two meanings, one that is used in chemistry and a different, completely unrelated, one that is used in agriculture?

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/10/30/acsh-explains-what-does-organic-really-mean-12045

I suspect that Happy Camper is taking advantage of the confusion that these two different definitions can cause. This level of disingenuousness does not give a very good impression.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naio wrote:
I'm using a cassette toilet for the first time this year. Happy Camper made an enormous difference in the smell when I empty it. Very little smell now.

I assume that when it says organic it means in the chemical sense, carbon-based, rather than in the no pesticides sense. (And yes,the definition of organic for foods is very tightly regulated.)

I find it hard to believe that anyone is going to breathe enough sewer gas to get hydrogen sulfide poisoning.

Per the FDA - "FDA does not regulate the use of the term โ€œorganicโ€ on food labels. "

And it's a moot point. Tank conditioners aren't meant for consumption so they aren't bound by the FDA or any other body overseeing organic claims. Lots of things are organic, that doesn't mean they are healthy. Asbestos is organic, so is Arsenic. And getting to the nitty gritty, the fairly dramatic warning label on Happy Camper says (paraphrasing) " Avoid contact with eyes, avoid prolonged contact with skin, do not swallow, avoid breathing dust, wash thoroughly after handling, flush thoroughly for eye and skin contact, get medical attention if any of the above occur" You get the point. Doesn't sound so warm and fuzzy to me. The fact there are all these warnings and unnamed ingredients - no thanks. Sounds more like they don't want to tell you whats in it and they don't have to since you don't eat it and they use "organic" because it's a marketing tool. If a product that's used to treat a condition invites greater risk than the condition itself - I'll stick with water.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Naio
Explorer
Explorer

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
My friends all make fun of me for putting computer fans in weird spots.

I'm gonna mount one on top my black tank vent!! At some point I meant to get a reversible fan for the bathroom roof vent. Same idea of keeping odors from rising out the toilet.

I never add chemical. Winter time it's no big deal. Summer temps i was having problems with what I think was gray tank smells. You guys told me to check the vent under the sink. I covered it with a plastic bag last year to test.

Will have to see how it goes this summer.

I think my trailer has tank vent caps that use wind to suck odors out the tank. Doesn't seem to work.

There was a time I goofed up and forgot to dump. Had the trailer on a jobsite. Flushing produced bad smells. Wish I had thought to put a fan on top the black tank vent.

Here's a solar powered vent fan for you without all your fussing.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fab-53-945001-Solar-Plumbing-White/dp/B004UQV3II

During my research for the last 40/50 years, I've determined no matter what you say, the waste in your black tank and often times even worse, your grey tank STINK! The longer is sits and the higher the temperatures, the worse the smell is.

If your sensor aren't working correctly, you're not flushing and maintaining your tank properly. There's no way around it. The sensor won't work if you think for a second you can get by without cleaning your tank good every so often. It's been awhile so yesterday, I drug the hose in through the window with the wand on it. I stuck in the toilet and flushed all around to make sure I had the tank clean from top to bottom and side to side. When I got done and checked my tank sensor, it showed only the bottom light. You MUST keep you dump valve closed and only dump when the tank is over 1/2 full. When you do flush, use plenty of water. Close the dump valve and allow the flush to fill the tank for 5 minutes and dump again - repeat. What comes out of your tank should be clear at this point with no sign of doody or toilet paper. Get one of the clear adapters so you can see what's coming out to make sure.

Fill the tank with a few gallons of water and add your chemicals so you don't offend your neighbors even if you can't smell your own.

I added a flusher to my grey tank to ensure it's clean after flushing. I haven't found it necessary to flush it every time but after dumping a few times, use the flush! I never leave my grey tank dump valve open either. Let it fill up and then let'er rip! It works a lot better that way. Otherwise, solids from the sinks will build up over time and cause the most awful stink I've ever smelled - worse than the black tank.

If your too lazy or too inconsiderate to maintain your tanks properly, you shouldn't expect others to put up with your ****.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
If you are getting smells in your RV there is something wrong with the venting system, no if and's or but's about it!

There are 2 ways to find the faults in the system. One is filling the system with water and finding the leak. The second is a plumbing smoke test.

Plumbing smoke tests are commonly done to find leaks in residential and commercial systems, Google it.

All About Sewer Gas Exposure: Causes, Symptoms ...
- Hydrogen sulfide is the primary gas in sewer gas. According to research , hydrogen sulfide has shown to be toxic to the oxygen systems of the body. In high amounts it can cause adverse symptoms, organ damage, or even death.

But go ahead and cover a known toxin up with a pleasant smell.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The correct answer is that no chemicals are necessary. Just use plenty of water. If you are offended by any possible smell while dumping (you should never have smells in the coach with or without chemicals) then Happy Camper is the best I have found.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Black tank chemicals come in several flavors

Formaldehyde based: I'm told (rumor) they are illegal in some areas/states. Since I've not visited those areas I have to say "Rumor" (well have visited but not with RV and don't use 'em)
You wnat to PRESERVE the stuff for burial after death.. I think not

Odorants/De-odorants Generally not worth the money>

Biologicals... THey may work but I've yet to see evidence of it....

WATER.. Works well. Low cost

now some "hints"
The sensors work.. when brand new and likely never again (Will give false higher than actual level readings)

You can do a fairly good job of cleaning by adding about 1/3 tank water, 1 cup each DAWN dishwashing liquid (DO NOT use the anti-bacterial) an Calgon water softener compound (Liquid or powder) and Driving for an hour or so then dump again. Tank may show full (of bubbles) after dumping but may show empty (or not) a couple days later.

But be advise I make no guarantees and the phrase "May not work" applies.
I would only do this end of season.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times