cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Barbecue hookup

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Am I missing something I have a propane line at the rear of the camper for hook up of barbecue I bought the hose hooked everything up the line is turned on but I cannot light the barbecue it's like there is no propane do I need something else?
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY
17 REPLIES 17

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
C Schomer wrote:
OP indicated they have a grill that uses this..

I know, and that's why I splained the problems for any DIYers. FWIW, the orifice usually comes off and a DIYer can play. I've been gas appliance certified since 78 and I've tried all sorts of things. Sometimes I get my kicks in funny ways!

The several I have encountered, the orifice was pressed into the regulator output tube. The regulator output tube was molded into the regulator body. the regulator on one I had was friction fit to the burner and the other the orifice which was pressed into the regulator had threads and threaded into the burner. Absolutely no way shape or form you are going to remove the orifice without some collateral damage happening to that orifice for either I have had.

After having several of those cheap BBQs that ended up with the non replaceable burners rusting out I stepped up to better built BBQs which have better burners and separate controls from the regulator..

Those burner control/regulator deals tend to poorly regulate the flames on the burner, typically resulting in burnt offerings on the outside with totally raw meat on the inside.

Any grill that uses the combo control/regulator is cheaply built junk, scrap it and move on.

The BBQ I listed a while ago for $130 is leaps and bounds a far better design control wise and burner wise. The one I have looks similar to the one I linked. But I bought mine at Sam's club yrs ago for $90. The only complaint I have so far with mine is the grill grates are not 100% stainless, it is some stainless plating on steel and rusts out easily. I found aftermarket porcelain coated cast iron grates that were a bit bigger and I cut them down to fit..

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer

I know, and that's why I splained the problems for any DIYers. FWIW, the orifice usually comes off and a DIYer can play. I've been gas appliance certified since 78 and I've tried all sorts of things. Sometimes I get my kicks in funny ways!
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Camco has a valve replacement that gets rid of the regulator, certainly not universal

https://www.camco.net/lp-gas-accessories-3/low-pressure-valve-kit-3-8-sae-x-12-000-btu-quick-connect...

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
C Schomer wrote:
pressure.
You can remove the regulator on your grill and connect to the Rv 11โ€ system but then you still need to control the flow/heat . Then you can try a needle valve and it still might not work. Craig

Which is a "combo" high pressure regulator, burner control and propane orifice..

Unless you have a well equipped machine shop at your disposal and lots of time on your hands attempting to fabricate some sort of work around is a futile effort and not worth it, not to mention dangerous, and perhaps with a bit fool hardy heaped onto the end when the experiment goes boom.

Some things are best left to the pros.

For $130 the OP can buy a portable grill which has built in burner controls which means they only need to replace the hose with regulator with a hose that connects to their RV port.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
And itโ€™s a Barbie in Australia,.. or maybe only at an Outback!
I have a Marshall changeover reg that has a pipe nipple between the stages and it is 18 psi there. Years ago I added a tee, valve and hose with a cga 600 fitting for my grill and the 18 psi is enough to allow using the rv grill regulator and get to the high-fire orifice pressure.
You can remove the regulator on your grill and connect to the Rv 11โ€ system but then you still need to control the flow/heat . Then you can try a needle valve and it still might not work. The mfgr can build the burner to run on whatever pressure they want. I havenโ€™t had an Rv grill yet that only worked on 11โ€ orifice pressure. 11โ€ to my old Olympia grill would only make it warm. It was built for 15โ€โ€. My Charbroil IR Rv grill regulator blew the water right out of my 30โ€ U gauge but it was actually way TOO hot. I backed the reg down to 18โ€ and itโ€™s all good nowโ€ฆ good heat range.
Iโ€™ve read there are Rv grills in captivity that can use whatever control they came with and run on 11โ€ input but I havenโ€™t actually seen one yet. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
What's called a grill in the USA is a BBQ in Canada though I've spent enough time in the USA that I call my BBQ a grill. Straddling the border I guess.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suspect most folks "interchange" BBQ and grill as one in the same device, you get heat and food cooks on it.

You can make a "grill" slow cook for things like pulled pork by turning flame down and not placing food directly over the burner (IE Indirect heat). You can even turn a gas grill into a "smoker" just by adding a smoking box which uses wood chips or a smoking tube which uses smoking pellets.

You can even use a griddle top on a grill or BBQ..

It is a pretty universal device..

Extend a stays were interesting devices and if OP could find one they still will not be able to use the built in propane port and would have to use the BBQ at the trailer tongue..

Personally, they could simply buy a refillable 5 lb cylinder and call it a day also.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be possible to modify the Grill you have (BBQ is a SLOW cooker Grill is a Fast Cooker) to work on a low pressure port but 1: the key word is MIGHT. and 2: I'm not going to even suggest how.

There is a device or two... In the old days they were made in Marshall, Mi. by Marshall Brass but I believe they discontinued and sold the designs.. Older folks at Most RV dealers will know the names though.

Extend-a-flow For Trailers and
Extend-A-Stay for motor homes Description of them

The first goes between your Propane tank and the hose to your regulator. in my day it had an POL male and female fitting (Today i suspect ACME) and a "Quick Disconnect" this is a fitting that looks a lot (exactly) like the top of a disposable propane bottle) It came with (or without) a 10' hose to your grill.. You could get an additional hose if needed and an adapter from the Quick Disconnect back to POL (or Acme today) if the grill needed that NOTE if the grill is designed for larger (Say 20 or 25 pound tanks) this may not feed propane fast enough.

The Motor home version did all the above with the addition of an INLET.. This comes, today with a 5' hose one end is about 1/4 inch threaded matching the inlet (Which by the way is both check valve protected and plugged) and an Acme coupler on the other end.

I had the first on my trailers and the 2nd on my motorhome.
A couple times I had to use external tanks to keep warm in the RV.

Worked great.

Pick the one that matches your needs. Self install. And use your current grill as designed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jergeod wrote:
Okay I think I have it I need to get a different barbecue that will hook into the low pressure line this barbecue has the high to low regulator and also the temperature adjustment on top of it so I don't believe I'll be able to use this on the camper low pressure line thank you very much

Oops, I missed that in my last post..

Correct, no way of removing or bypassing the combination regulator with burner valve :S

Personally, I am more of a Charcoal and wood fan and prefer that over the gas.. I made removable charcoal pans for my BBQs so when I am not in a hurry I can use Charcoal mixed with some Maple or Oak.. If in a hurry I can remove the pan and light up the propane..

But yes, you will need to find a BBQ that has burner controls separate from the regulator..

Something like this..

Found At Amazon for $129..

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
jergeod wrote:
Okay I think I have it I need to get a different barbecue that will hook into the low pressure line this barbecue has the high to low regulator and also the temperature adjustment on top of it so I don't believe I'll be able to use this on the camper low pressure line thank you very much

If you tell us what kind of BBQ you have someone will direct you to an adapter that will replace your regulator if one is available. Or at least tell you where to look and what to look for. You may not need a different BBQ.

Here's a place to start: adapters for grill
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jergeod wrote:

As long as you are using the RVs regulated propane line, there is no need for an additional regulator at the BBQ. The BBQ and RV regulator should have nearly identical output pressure.

Some BBQs the regulator is removable from the hose, some not.

Here is a pix of my home BBQ which is not removable from the hose.

In my case, I would have to follow the hose from the regulator to where the hose connects..

Which is at the valve manifold on the BBQ..

Unscrew the hose connection and remove the BBQ hose and regulator and install new hose with quick disconnect for the RV propane line.

Note, you cannot connect the BBQ directly to any high pressure propane source using the hose without the regulator!!!

Initial test, I would make sure you have the BBQ not mounted to the RV and a bit of distance just in case things goes sideways.

Might want to use a match on a long match holder or a lighter with long reach for the first light to keep hands, arms and face at a safer distance..

On edit..

Forgot to mention, if you are one of the lucky ones to have a regulator with the burner flame adjustment and shut off, you are out of luck.. You would not have any way to turn off the gas nor control the burner output.

That is one of the reasons I mentioned posting a pix with make and model of your BBQ..

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You probably don't need a second regulator. Can you remove the regulator from the bbq and just connect the bbq hose to the quick connect?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Okay the line on the camper with the quick connect is low pressure the regulator is at the cylinder the barbecue has its own high to low regulator so that's why it's not lighting do they make a low pressure regulator that I can put into this aftermarket barbecue
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY