cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back in the dark ages !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that I was taught that all things being equal, that stranded wire would carry more current than solid wire ? Is that true or am I being misled ?
29 REPLIES 29

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Wandering Bob! That's my style of travel too. I will install 300 watts of panels with 200 AH batteries. Like to wander, boondock, see some sights. I dont want to spend what would be a large down payment on a condo so I can live like I am in a condo! But Lithuium is new to me. Sure seems like they are more cost effective than wiring 6 volt flooded batteries in series. I am learning! Happy trails to you and yours!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ Plus, in USA residential applications, (which generally use romex solid core wire within the walls) where does the temperature match what is typical in an automotive engine bay or along an exhaust system? (catalytic converter) That's right, . . . . in oven/rangetops, water heaters, compressors, furnaces etc., which all use multi strand wire internally, even though they are permanently installed in a residence.

Ambient temperature is important!

Chum lee

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jkwilson wrote:
Tvov wrote:
I was always told that solid wire conducts / allows more electricity / power. That is why houses are wired with "romex", solid wire, instead of stranded wire like extension cords. Considering how difficult romex is to work with, everyone would prefer stranded wire if it would work better.

Well, that is the simple explanation given to me by electricians!

Solid wire is cheaper to make and easier to connect in household wiring. Stranded wire is better where flexibility is important such as lamp cords or in vehicles.

How many 7.0 earthquakes does the average house go thru per year and how many equivalent events happen in your average RV.

For most practical purposes, once the house wiring is in place, it will never move again to any meaningful degree. Bouncing down a road at 60mph, your RV wiring is undergoing hours long 7.0 equivalent earthquakes every time you travel.

The smaller diameter of the individual strands results in far less work hardening and fatigue damage compared to solid wire.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
johnhicks wrote:
I've read that charging lithiums with an ordinary alternator can smoke your alternator. Investigate before doing that.

There are many myths designed to scare you into not improving your life.

Alternators come in two flavors.. both are current limited and the myth is since Iithiums can take a rapid charge they will draw more than the alternator can deliver and burn it out... Nope. alternator knows what it can deliver and won't exceed that amount.

Li's however do take a slightly higher voltage.. Oh that could pop a diode.. Again nope.. it won't.

It might not exceed its max amperage but they can over heat and burn up trying to put out max amperage at idle, unless they have temperature protection. I charge a pair of 280ah LifeP04 batteries and they will take all the amperage I can throw at them until about 95% SOC when they start tapering off the amperage.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
More wires give more surfaces for current to travel on. Finer the strands the greater number of surfaces. Considering the same size of wires.

Current does not travel on the wire surface until the frequency gets to about 20 KHz. It is not an issue for power.

Well, no skin effect exists for ALL frequencies above 0 Hz. (DC). It's just that for it to be noticeable for many conductor sizes it needs to be pretty high frequency. However, Power companies need to deal with skin effect even at 60Hz. given the size of conductors they use.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
The original poster here ! I want to thank you all for your help . What I am in the process of doing is installing a 200 amp lithium battery and the proper converter . We consider our selves as " travelers " , not campers , not boondockers . We tend to spend the night where ever we are when we get ready to stop , maybe Walmart but could be just as easy a church lot , police station , hospital , cemetery . What we were hoping to achieve by going with lithium is the ability to run the furnace or a couple of fans all night with out running the batteries down . We travel in a Ram 2500 with a topper , under the topper is mounted a 3400 watt generator , a 35 gallon water carrier , 2 electric bikes and a pancake compressor . We like back roads and stop at all small museums , yard sales , towns with funny names , historic sites , battlefields . We just wander and will go to a campground every 5 or six days . Planning a 5 month trip next summer/fall . Thank you all again . I have owned RVs for 40 years but this " new Tech " is confusing to an eighty year old .

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
johnhicks wrote:
I've read that charging lithiums with an ordinary alternator can smoke your alternator. Investigate before doing that.

There are many myths designed to scare you into not improving your life.

Alternators come in two flavors.. both are current limited and the myth is since Iithiums can take a rapid charge they will draw more than the alternator can deliver and burn it out... Nope. alternator knows what it can deliver and won't exceed that amount.

Li's however do take a slightly higher voltage.. Oh that could pop a diode.. Again nope.. it won't.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wire carrying capacity for DC and 60hz electricity will depend on circular mils (copper cross section) not stranded or solid. Also depends on insulation heat rating and if the wire is bundled in a sheath such as NMB, in conduit, or in free air. However this ampacity rating would be used for fuse selection. Selecting the right wire will also depend on the length and amp load to avoid excessive voltage drop. Usually one or two sizes larger will be appropriate vs minimum for ampacity.

Also smaller wire will tend to allow more ampacity per circular mil of copper as there is more relative surface area to dissipate heat. Need to study a wire vs ampacity chart. Very high frequency AC will have some "skin effect" but nothing to think about in an RV.

May not need a shunt (battery monitor). If the battery has bluetooth it may already have an internal shunt. Voltage is still an indicator of remaining capacity although voltage is very flat from 25% to 75%. Depending on the usage and charging patterns the system may stay above 50% and mostly get ignored.

Alternator is only subject to overload/heat damage if the connection is short, fat and no fuse. More likely to have lower than desired charging vs overcurrent situation. Many jump on a DC-DC charger when it is not really needed. Install the battery and measure the situation before adding more equipment.

I pulled my trailer 5 hours today and my alternator is fine. My internal BMS was indicating 99% full. (no harm in a short charge unlike the old lead-acid)

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
johnhicks wrote:

Charging a couple 100 ah batteries will not hurt the alternator.
It's when you try charging a large battery bank that exceeds the alternator capacity that you run into problems.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I had two electrician uncles... both long gone, now! They said stranded wire ran a little cooler. Whatever, but I still go by the regs. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer is not as simple as yes/no
At DC the answer is NO
At RF the answer varies with frequency.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
-jbh-

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I believe that I was taught that all things being equal, that stranded wire would carry more current than solid wire ? Is that true or am I being misled ?

You were taught correctly, but the difference is negligible. What matters more is the operating temperature of the wire. The cooler the wire is, generally, the more current it will carry. (less voltage drop) Stranded wire, because it has more surface area per foot than solid wire can shed or gain heat more easily than solid wire depending on the ambient temperature and the insulation. Stranded wire has much more flexibility (resistance to vibration) than solid core wire of similar gauge, that's why you generally see its use in aerospace, automotive, and industrial applications.

As the temperature approaches absolute zero (-460 degrees F) wire conductors approach zero resistance. They become superconductors where current flows with little to no voltage.

Chum lee

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guy next door sez that I should not let the alternator on my truck charge my lithium while driving . Is he a dummy ?