cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning misaligned when rolled up?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 5th wheel that I noticed the awning arms don't align and completely roll closed when I opened it for cleaning this weekend. Both front and back arms mis-align about 1/2" towards the front as they try to close the last little bit, and the outer arm hangs up on the inner bracket.

I tried pushing towards the rear when rolling it up, but can't make it move enough to align and completely close. Is the material moveable easily on the roller, or on the track that attaches to the sidewall?

Other thoughts on re-aligning the roller and arms?
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
12 REPLIES 12

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine has done that at times, usually from the wind. Ounce I have the material aligned correctly so the arms close properly I mark the tube on both ends of the material with a marker. This gives me a visual reference to check before rolling up the awning.

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
Ours does that on the front arm. Not as bad, I just start pushing a little as it gets close
2019 sunseeker
Marty

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that was easy! Just numerous trips up and down the ladder, from the awning material retaining screw (at the front of the awning) to the awning control switch (at the rear of the trailer) as I adjusted the material.

I rolled the awning out a few inches and removed the screw that retains the awning material in the slide strip. As soon as I removed the screw, the material slid back a little - I assume from the misalignment of the roller/power head. Went to the back of the awning and gently tugged the material back and it easily moved from there as well. I could nudge it fore and aft and feel the roller somewhat settle into equilibrium - feeling centered.

Went inside and extended and retracted a few times, and repeated the adjustment until both arms fully seated over the inner mount arms. Apparently the material has shrunk, since the arms still rub a bit, but it's good for now.

Also time to replace the material ... so on to that project.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Usually this will happen when a gust of wind causes either awning to shift slightly. When we had a manual awning misaligned, I would slide the lock arms to store position, then push up on the roller creating a sag and flap the fabric which usually shifted it back in position.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I had and helped others when there awning rolled up crooked. Pull the awning out.
have another person pull or if electric make the awning go out. Give the arm a push to the correct direction to make it go roll up straight. Very easy to over do. Go back and try again. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
In my experience, the vinyl awning material does not slide easily in the track, even with no tension on it.
Age, dirt etc can contirbute...:(
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks like the canvas is not rolling up flat on the roller. This could also be related to age (13 years) and need to be replaced. Also check that the canvas screws/retainers are in place keeping it taught fore/aft on each end.

Bob

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may try raising the front of FW, putting more force on the awning to move rearward. If that alone, does not do it, I'd add some pushing force also. In my experience, the vinyl awning material does not slide easily in the track, even with no tension on it.

My response is for an electric awning.

Jerry

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
You should be able to move the canvas fore/aft on either canvas end after any retaining screws are removed and tension releaved. It's also possible that the 2 canvas ends are not parallel.

Thanks. Will give this a try later today.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I should have mentioned that I've owned this since new, and it's worked properly until recently.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
pics - not sure if they show the mis-alignment

Click For Full-Size Image.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should be able to move the canvas fore/aft on either canvas end after any retaining screws are removed and tension releaved. It's also possible that the 2 canvas ends are not parallel.

Bob