cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amp L Start

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about Amp L Start wiring connection.Two positive wires will connected one each to positive side of chassis and House battery.While ground wire will be grounded.Now I want to install Amp L Start under the hood near chassis battery and will use the installed relay to attach the two positive wires from Amp L Start.I did not see any ground terminal under the hood so where should I attach the ground wire.Can I attach it to the negative terminal of the chassis battery.
14 REPLIES 14

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Well if your correct check the voltage at the connection on the amp-L-start. Does it show 13.6?
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
As I said voltage is 13.6 at the house battery.I am thinking Amp L Start is not sensing house battery voltage so not charging the chassis battery.I need to find the relay or solenoid for proper connection OR connect directly to the positive terminal of house and chassis battery.If I install the ALS under the hood than I have to take about 15 feet wire under the Rig to the house batter which is located under the steps at the middle entry door.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When describing a blinking indicator pilot lamp it is an excellent idea to try and describe the frequency of the blinking (times per second -- once every two seconds?)

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
This is what the site says about fast flashing led.
Overvoltage Protection feature automatically shuts the unit down whenever the house battery voltage rises above approx. 14.75 volts, thereby protecting the starting batteries and electrical system from excessive voltage during house battery equalization - While this occurring, the HOUSE BAT. and STARTING BAT. indicator LEDs flash rapidly. Normal operation resumes as soon as the house batteries drop below approx. 14.5 volts.
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Durring the event what is the voltage "at" the house battery?
Boondocking is my Deal

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
In Amp L Start installation guide following is written and I quote
MAINTAINING light blinks every second Indicates that the unit is operating normally, but the house battery voltage isn't high enough to charge or maintain the starting battery. If this occurs when the unit should be operating, check for 1.disconnected shore power, 2.house battery charger unplugged or switched off, 3. heavily discharged house batteries

I checked all 3 and none apply in my case.My 100 Watt Solar panel working fine and generating energy and charging the house batteries and voltage showing on the Solar control panel is 13.6 volt which is above 13.2 volt required.My house batteries are 2 Trojan 6 volt each connected in series to make 12 voltage supply.Both are brand new.
So why chassis battery is not getting charge via Amp L Start.

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I connected the Amp L Start today. Maintenance mode with green light is blinking.Is this normal.No other light is on.

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.Will connect it on Monday and will let know how it went.

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
again yes
bill257 wrote:
Still awaiting input on my question about connection to BUS.
Boondocking is my Deal

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
Still awaiting input on my question about connection to BUS.

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
Just a clarifcation.Initiially I thought i will be connecting house and chassis battery connections from ALS to a relay but than realize it is a BUS under the hood.One wire from BUS is going to the positive terminal of chassis battery and other wire is going under the Rig to the house battery box and connecting to another split terminal and from there going to the positive terminal of the house battery.My question is that can I connect ALS house and chassis battery connections to this BUS.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ground points exist all over creation under the hood. Most any metal bracket, brace or bar is a ground.

TO FIND ONE you need a 12 volt test light.. You find this in the ELECTRICAL wall at most any automotive department or parts store. Looks a bit like an old fashion ICE pick save it has a clear or colored handle with a light in it and a lead with a clip.

FIrst make sure the light works (I often have to reseat the lamp) by testing across the battery terminals.

Then find a known 12 volt point (LIke one side of the isolator relay) and hook the clip

Touch the tip to most anything. Good light = good ground.

Drill a hole and insert a self tapping screw.

One example of a good ground on a Workhorse is the brake bell crank bracket..

Just make sure you do NOT hook to or obstruct any moving parts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I installed a Trik-L-Start on my previous RV, I used sheet metal screws to screw it to the sheet metal of the storage compartment. I just put the ground wire around one of the sheet metal screws and let the sheet metal ground it to the frame. That ground wire isn't carrying significant current, it is just there so the electronics in the device will work.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
bill257 wrote:
I have a question about Amp L Start wiring connection.Two positive wires will connected one each to positive side of chassis and House battery.While ground wire will be grounded.Now I want to install Amp L Start under the hood near chassis battery and will use the installed relay to attach the two positive wires from Amp L Start.I did not see any ground terminal under the hood so where should I attach the ground wire.Can I attach it to the negative terminal of the chassis battery.

Yes
Boondocking is my Deal