cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amp Draw

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
How many amps should a motor home draw when plugged in with nothing turned on?
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you take enough extension cord and plug it into a Kill-a-watt. WITHOUT ANY THING PLUGGED INTO THE OTHER END. I twill display an amp draw (Fraction of an amp) Now least you wonder this is 100% normal and if I wished I could tell you how many feet of say 12/3 to draw one amp.. It is that normal. So there will be draw.

The Converter is never off (unless you trip the breaker)
TV's. Microwaves and such all draw a small load (Anything relying on a REMOTE to turn it on or with a clock).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each GFCI receptacle has a small draw when on 120v supply even with nothing plugged into it. Not an issue, but off-grid on inverter whole house, it adds a little bit to your inverter's draw (with inverter on) from the battery. I saw 0.1 amp DC on Trimetric for each GFCI receptacle as a 120v inverter load.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked on my motorhome.

AC power: 25W, about 0.3A (power factor isn't great, I guess).

DC house load: 0.2A (mostly for the propane detector)

My DC ammeter measures battery current, so I had to turn off the AC power to measure the house load. With AC and the converter on, the average battery current once the battery is fully charged is very close to zero; the house load is just being supplied by the converter, and the battery is sitting at the float voltage. Naturally, if the battery is not fully charged, the converter charging the battery imposes a noticeable additional AC load (and, of course, makes for a non-negligible battery current as well).

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK, DC amps. Your questions has too many possible variables. Kind of like asking how many miles per gallon a 2019 Toyota Camry will get.
1. Just YOU driving?
2. 2 or more people?
3. Luggage also?
4. Hiway or Stop and go City driving?
Plugged into 120 and nothing on. That never happens. Either the Power Converter or the Inverter/Charger will be drawing DC amps or RESTORING amps as they charge the Coach batteries. When plugged in, the thought of DC amp draw is not a concern because you ARE plugged in. I would think you would ask, when NOT plugged in and Batteries and everything turned OFF what would possible DC amp draw be? Now, MOST LP and CO detectors are hardwired and will draw miniamps when they are on. Very few RV's today have a LP/CO On/OFF switch. A usual 12 volt draw is the TV antenna Power Booster left ON. They are usually out of sight and mind when they are on. Doug

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
DC amps. I don't have any gauges on my AC side yet.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
About 130 watts. That's with lights, tv, radio, pump, etc off.
Ok then, 1 amp.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Mine is about 10 amps without me purposefully turning anything on..
1200 watts with nothing on? Not at 120v

About 130 watts. That's with lights, tv, radio, pump, etc off.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Mine is about 10 amps without me purposefully turning anything on..
1200 watts with nothing on? Not at 120v
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
120 AMPS OR 12 VOLT DC AMPS? DOUG

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is about 10 amps without me purposefully turning anything on. There's a lot of things in standby, and then my telematics and automation system is always running. I don't worry about power usage having plenty of battery and at least one generator wherever I go.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob Vaughn wrote:
Gjac wrote:
If nothing is turned on mine will draw .4 amps. Newer MH's will probably draw more. If you see more than 2 amps something is probably on. How much is your amp draw?

I am wondering about parasitic draw.....
That is what I am referring to. With nothing turned on and MH not plugged in .4 amps is my parasitic draw. Being plugged in should not affect the draw.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
If nothing is turned on mine will draw .4 amps. Newer MH's will probably draw more. If you see more than 2 amps something is probably on. How much is your amp draw?

I am wondering about parasitic draw.....

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
The converter will run to keep your batteries charged. 14 watts or .1177 amps in my case with a charged battery. Did you turn off the fridge? Mine draws 328 watts or 2.7333 amps. Measured using a kil-a-watt.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III