cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt Refrigerator

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase a small moterhome to go to Alaska. Some of them have exclusively 10CU 12 volt Stainless Steel Refrigerator. I have no information or experience with this type of refrigerator any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !
29 REPLIES 29

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Vintage465 wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
You would be much better off with a propane refrigerator.

That is debatable ! You could be in big trouble if you run out of propane and there is no refill station nearby.

With adequate solar and batteries a 12V compressor refrigerator is far superior to any propane evaporative refrigerator, especially when the outside temps are in the 80s or above.

I certainly would have a generator, even a 2000W portable. Also a DC-DC charger.

I think you'd really have to be asleep at the wheel if you run out of propane. With 2-7.5 gallon tanks, I've gone 30 days with no fill ups and using the water heater too. No furnace for that thirty days though. I'd be thinking in a thirty day period one should be able to come across some propane to fill the tanks.

More like the typical "sky could fall" post in virtually every thread on here.
And, I man, yeah, like, a DC fridge is totally more reliable, if you forget to refill your propane for like 3 months, as long as you carry 2 generators and a DC-DC charger!

roflmao
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link! Verified my fear of purchasing a soly 12 volt equipt RV. Now I have another thing to put on my bucket list, Australia looks like a great adventure.

Tanks again!

JimK-NY wrote:
I got a great deal on a used RV. Sadly there was an issue. It came with a 7 cuft compressor refrigerator that chewed way too much power to be useable. If you want to learn the details, here is an example of the issues:
https://www.exploroz.com/members/145028.75/1/2009/queensland_adventures_winter_2008.aspx?p=%2fblogs%2fdefault.aspx

I could not easily convert to propane because there was no back access and no roof vent. Instead I got a much smaller (4 cuft) Nova Kool compressor refrigerator. It pulls 2.3 amps. The duty cycle time is HIGHLY dependent on ambient temperatures. Around 60 degrees it runs maybe 1/4 of the time. By 70 degrees, the duty cycle increases to between 1/3 and 1/2. At 80 degrees it runs full time. Beyond that it struggles to maintain frozen food and a 40 degree refrigerator temp. I super insulated the compartment, increased the ventilation and even use a couple of computer fans on the coils in hot weather.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:

That is debatable ! You could be in big trouble if you run out of propane and there is no refill station nearby.

With adequate solar and batteries a 12V compressor refrigerator is far superior to any propane evaporative refrigerator, especially when the outside temps are in the 80s or above.

I certainly would have a generator, even a 2000W portable. Also a DC-DC charger.

I think you'd really have to be asleep at the wheel if you run out of propane. With 2-7.5 gallon tanks, I've gone 30 days with no fill ups and using the water heater too. No furnace for that thirty days though. I'd be thinking in a thirty day period one should be able to come across some propane to fill the tanks.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
3 tons wrote:
Starting with only two 100a/h batteries (assuming wet cells), only gives you 100a/h usable for all your needsโ€ฆSolar might augment, but with only two 64w panels, even the best harvest might only result in about 6.5 amps, then add to that the refer door seemed to be opening occasionally (ugg!!), and I think you were hitting the โ€˜sweet spotโ€™ for failureโ€ฆ In this case I would have definitely gone with LPG, and I believe your trusty vendors were chock full of optimistic adviceโ€ฆThis is why (per my previousโ€ฆ) having a substantial battery and solar set-up is critical, particularly the battery - this is why I said 400a/h Lithium, due to Liโ€™s deeper depth of discharge, and the vagaries of solar to carry you over to the โ€˜next productiveโ€™ harvest cycleโ€ฆAnd with a decent amount of solar, a few amps of harvest is often possible even with full cloud coverโ€ฆWhile on the Oregon coast (with 660w solar) I was recently able to get about 6-7amps with full cloud cover and even a small amount of drizzle, admittedly not a whole lot but still enough over a time to โ€˜increaseโ€™ my 400a/h Lithium by a welcome 8% SOCโ€ฆ

I have a pal that has a 9 cu/ft (Danfoss comp) double door refer that runs fine with only two 100a/hr of Lithium and 400w MPPT solar (recently upgraded to 800w - fine for Nevada), and know of another fella that has a 7 cu/ft compressor refer (donโ€™t recall the make), 460a/hr lithium and 400w of solar with no issuesโ€ฆSo to achieve true LPG liberty, expect the devil is in the details ($$)โ€ฆ

3 tons

200amp-hr @ 12v will result in around 1200w-hr of usable power (2400w-hr total) assuming you start from 100% charge and they are in good shape.

At 50w when the compressor is in operation, that's about 24hr of run time at 100% duty cycle. Assuming a more typical 50% duty cycle, that's around 48hr or about 600w-hr per day.

2 - 64w panels (128w total) will generate about 500w-hr per day.

Assuming no other loads, you are probably OK for a long weekend.
- End of 1st 24hr, you've used 600w-hr and put 500w-hr back in leaving a net of 1100w-hr.
- End of 2nd 24hr, you've used 1200w-hr and put 1000w-hr back in leaving 1000w-hr
- End of 3rd 24hr, you've used 1800w-hr and put 1500w-hr back in leaving 900w-hr

But in reality, the systems aren't 100% efficient and you may use a bit more or generate a bit less, so by the 3rd 24hr period, it's going to be condition dependent.
- If it's a cool sunny weekend, you might be near full on the batteries.
- If it's a hot muggy overcast weekend, you might be running a bit low for the 2nd day.

Always good to have a fall back charging method rather than way overbuild the system so it can handle anything.

PS: This assumes you have no other electrical loads other than the fridge...and why it's good to do a general energy audit rather than look at a single component.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
For the 4.5cf model it draws up to 72 watts when the compressor runs,very manageable with enough solar...

This unit draws 5-6amps when the compressor runs. A 100amp battery will run it, but the charge back from a 100w panel might not be sufficient to maintain the battery. It will depend on how often the compressor needs to run and how much charge back is achieved during the day.

Thanks,
Way Interglobal see less
By Way Interglobal SELLER on February 18, 2022

It is pretty easy to calculate solar, generator and battery needs based on your information. The other missing data is run time which I find is highly dependent on ambient temps. I would plan for at least 80% in order to run the unit in low to moderate Summer temps. Anyway the 100AH battery is going to provide 50AH or a run time of less than 10 hours. I would want at least 4-6 batteries to avoid using the generator every few hours. Solar is a different issue. Right now where I live in NY a roof mounted, 100 watt solar panel is only going to provide about 40 AH/day of power. So under ideal conditions it would take at least 2 panels to break even. With about 50% cloud cover this time of year, that would mean 4 panels and more if you park in any shade or have an extended rainy period.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
For the 4.5cf model it draws up to 72 watts when the compressor runs,very manageable with enough solar...

This unit draws 5-6amps when the compressor runs. A 100amp battery will run it, but the charge back from a 100w panel might not be sufficient to maintain the battery. It will depend on how often the compressor needs to run and how much charge back is achieved during the day.

Thanks,
Way Interglobal see less
By Way Interglobal SELLER on February 18, 2022
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Starting with only two 100a/h batteries (assuming wet cells), only gives you 100a/h usable for all your needsโ€ฆSolar might augment, but with only two 64w panels, even the best harvest might only result in about 6.5 amps, then add to that the refer door seemed to be opening occasionally (ugg!!), and I think you were hitting the โ€˜sweet spotโ€™ for failureโ€ฆ In this case I would have definitely gone with LPG, and I believe your trusty vendors were chock full of optimistic adviceโ€ฆThis is why (per my previousโ€ฆ) having a substantial battery and solar set-up is critical, particularly the battery - this is why I said 400a/h Lithium, due to Liโ€™s deeper depth of discharge, and the vagaries of solar to carry you over to the โ€˜next productiveโ€™ harvest cycleโ€ฆAnd with a decent amount of solar, a few amps of harvest is often possible even with full cloud coverโ€ฆWhile on the Oregon coast (with 660w solar) I was recently able to get about 6-7amps with full cloud cover and even a small amount of drizzle, admittedly not a whole lot but still enough over a time to โ€˜increaseโ€™ my 400a/h Lithium by a welcome 8% SOCโ€ฆ

I have a pal that has a 9 cu/ft (Danfoss comp) double door refer that runs fine with only two 100a/hr of Lithium and 400w MPPT solar (recently upgraded to 800w - fine for Nevada), and know of another fella that has a 7 cu/ft compressor refer (donโ€™t recall the make), 460a/hr lithium and 400w of solar with no issuesโ€ฆSo to achieve true LPG liberty, expect the devil is in the details ($$)โ€ฆ

3 tons

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. DUTY CYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They don't run continuously.
2. You are looking at the specs for the LARGE 12 volt, THAT THEY JUST CAME OUT WITH. They sell the smaller 8 and 10/12 CF refers which draw less power. AND that large you read about will not fit most RV's. The smaller ones will.
3. MY POINT was missed. I was trying to show where the RV market was going by introducing the 12 volt compressor models that ARE battery efficient. Doug

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a great deal on a used RV. Sadly there was an issue. It came with a 7 cuft compressor refrigerator that chewed way too much power to be useable. If you want to learn the details, here is an example of the issues:
https://www.exploroz.com/members/145028.75/1/2009/queensland_adventures_winter_2008.aspx?p=%2fblogs%2fdefault.aspx

I could not easily convert to propane because there was no back access and no roof vent. Instead I got a much smaller (4 cuft) Nova Kool compressor refrigerator. It pulls 2.3 amps. The duty cycle time is HIGHLY dependent on ambient temperatures. Around 60 degrees it runs maybe 1/4 of the time. By 70 degrees, the duty cycle increases to between 1/3 and 1/2. At 80 degrees it runs full time. Beyond that it struggles to maintain frozen food and a 40 degree refrigerator temp. I super insulated the compartment, increased the ventilation and even use a couple of computer fans on the coils in hot weather.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
No one has mentioned duty cycle.

Exactly, Iโ€™d figure duty cycle at about 60% of the amp ratingโ€ฆ

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:

Snip

The OP has been a member here longer than I have been. I am pretty sure he would make sure his propane is topped off.

Also, I have never heard of this as an excuse to not use an absorption fridge before. Yes it could happen, but highly unlikely.

Edited to add: If my Norcold would die, I would replace it with a 12 volt compressor fridge. That being said, I must be lucky as we are on our second Norcold, and they both work or worked very well into the upper 90's. Our ice cream has never thawed, even into the 100's. ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No one has mentioned duty cycle.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make some modern high effiency 12 or 12/120 volt Refrigerators which, draw a great whomping 30-50 watts (3-4 amps at 12 volt) Yup. that's not a lot of power.

These are compressor units and work very well.. I have used two chest freezers based on the same technology (wore one out)

by compairson a "Residential" depending on the size can be over 100 to over 400 watts and an absorption cooling unit (regular RV fridge 350-400. that's 10 x the high efficacy units.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't find the other reply I used,but a quick search showed this question with a much more realistic answer..

Etrailer wrote:
Q & A Icon
How Many Amps and Watts Does The Everchill RV Refrigerator Use
Question:
Does this use 11A to run the unit or 3A? Does this unit not have an on/offinch switch. Another answer says it must be added separately?

asked by: Joe

Expert Reply:
I believe you are referring to the Everchill RV Refrigerator w/ Freezer part # 324-000119 which runs off of 12V at 2.5 amps. Since watts is amps multiplied by volts, the wattage is 30 watts. This could be easily powered with a 2,000-Watt Portable RV Inverter Generator part # 333-0001.

The Everchill Refrigerator does not have an on/off switch but can be easily wired to a toggle switch like part # PK34571.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04