Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

RVSnowbird
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
I'm wondering if we should also have a sticky that lets us post obituaries & pics of our dearly departed pets? Maybe a "Rainbow Bridge" sticky? It would be sad and happy. It is very sad when a pet dies. And many of us tell the rest of the group when one of our pets does die. Telling others is one way to grieve. There have been a number of posts lately about dear pets that have died. And the stories are very difficult to read. And yes, our heart tugs with every tale.

A thread that would let us tell of our pet, and post a picture, would be a way to memorialize the RV pets that have travelled to the other side.
Simple ground rules.
1. Posts are limited to individual pet "obituaries" and no personal replies please as they will be deleted without explanation.

2. Pictures exceeding 640 pixels width or 480 pixels in height will be edited to comply within those dimensions.

if you have any questions, free to send me a private message

==========================================================================

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

The above in a Rainbow Bridge "flash" movie
have you checked out the new RV.net Blogs yet?

Deceased 2/28/08 RIP
243 REPLIES 243

jimroach
Explorer
Explorer

Shadow had to leave us after 13 + years, She had arthritis, and atrophy was begining to set in, having some other serious medical problems as well. Luckily she spent the last months of her life with us on a cross country RV trip. SHe had her own ramp to get into the RV and the Truck and loved life to the end.

She was a silly puppy who loved water, and was extremly loyal and protective, especially of her momma.
Jim, Bonnie, Dakota and Sapphire
2014 Jeep Wrangler
2012 Fleetwood Southwind

campingchessies
Explorer
Explorer
Today we put to rest our Tabasco, nearly 13 years.

Officially he was CH Hardwaood Tabasco, a Chesapeake Bay Retreiver. Be bought him as a puppy and he quickly won the hearts of our family. As he grew he began to show his wit, playfulness, and love of people. We showed him, where he quickly accelled, winning Best of Breed at Detroit. He loved to stand among the people, getting to know them as a crowd gather to pet him - and therefor he became a great ambassador for the breed.
He camped with us from the time we brought him home. He loved to travel and stroll with us through the campgrounds and taking hikes. He knew when we were leaving soon as we packed the camper. He enjoyed to swim, hike, and sit by the campfire at night. He slept at our feet, which he only did when camping.
He adored the kids, enjoying playing and swimming with them. He welcomed them home when they return from college even after many weeks gone.
He welcomed in another Chessie into his home, and became best friends. He sired 2 litters and now many families enjoy the sweet & lovable traits that he had.
Recently his health declined and it became difficult to walk due to a nerve disease, then suddenly he became totally immobile and we knew it was time.
He went peacably this morning as we gently caressed him for those last moments with us.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The morning of 22 February 2010, our big red dog Jake took his final breath.

Jake joined our family when he was three or thereabouts; nobody else wanted him. "Hyper & uncontrollable", they said. And there is no doubt that Jake was an exhuberant fellow. Did everything with gusto. 210%, full speed ahead. Not a fear in the world. Loved life, sometimes a bit too much.

Rescued my husband from a momma black bear and didn't back down. Enthralled with truck rides and camping. Nothing better than a good game of "hose". Reminded me with gentle yaps when it was supper time. Drooled on everything. Sat with me on the couch weekend mornings, patiently waiting for our hike while I finished my coffee watching Dogtown and Dog Whisperer. He was our big yukster; made us laugh everyday. The ultimate knucklehead. A creative mooch pooch.

We loved him dearly the four years he was with us!

This picture was taken on 16 February, a week before Jake died, on one of our daily hikes out back. He was listening up for some deer.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Well I felt better after I posted about Beauty, so here are all of them to date. Maybe that will help some also.

Snuggles: I assume that now you are back in trim, youโ€™re again looking like you are never fed. Surely on that side of the bridge folks recognize that even with the fur length and fat content from your Doberman sire, and the muscles, bone structure, and coloration of your dam, you are happily eating all you want. I canโ€™t tell you what you meant to a lonely boy growing up.

Frisky: We miss your boundless energy. Thank you for keeping mom and the kidsโ€™ safe all those years we lived in the city. Iโ€™m glad you got to play in the country once and awhile. Hopefully there are trains you can chase on your side of the bridge as well. If so, have any of the engineers tooted their horn again to say hello? I sure hope at least one recognizes you.

Silhouette: Well girl, how is it up there? Hopefully you donโ€™t need to back into the dining room so nobody can see you. Mom doesnโ€™t put papers on your side of the couch anymore. She says you still notice. You sure were a wonderful friend, especially for mom.

Shadow: I hope they let you dig a swimming pool up there, I know you were disappointed when we wouldnโ€™t let you. I canโ€™t wait to talk to you and find out what you planned to do with the 50# bags of dog food you were taking unopened out into your run. Iโ€™m so sorry you didnโ€™t survive the anesthetic. Iโ€™m sure you noticed that the vet was as heartbroken as we were. Iโ€™m sorry we only had a few years to play with you, but donโ€™t give up hope, weโ€™ll both be there some day, probably sooner than you think.

Loki: What a wonderful friend you were. Iโ€™m sure you still are talked about at the CSU Vet School. There are so very few who ever beat myelopathy as you did. We gave your wheelchair to someone whose dog had broken hips. Iโ€™ll bet itโ€™s fun to run normally again. I picked up pinecones on the trails for years after you left. In fact I sometimes still do just in case your walking them with me, I wouldnโ€™t want you to trip.

Blizzard: Well Iโ€™ll bet you are the Alpha up there. Remember when you were only a few months old and told the neighbors dog to either play or fight? That dog has not come in our yard since, although now I suppose itโ€™s been enough years he is up there as well. If he needs his attitude adjusted again, go for it. We sure miss you baby, you were sure a fun type guy, never a dull moment, and never found ANYTHING not worth trying at least once. We canโ€™t wait to see what youโ€™ve found to do on the other side. Iโ€™ll bet you are still amazing folks.

Beauty: You were my faithful friend longer than any of our other furchildren. Always there, the best camper of them all, a determined lap dog, and always a love. Iโ€™m so sorry I couldnโ€™t carry you any longer. At least now you can run again. I can hear you howling with the grandkids in my dreams. For me the house is so empty without you. Take care.

To all our furchildren: Mom says you are all here now with Beauty, welcoming her and keeping her company while she gets used to being on the other side. If so, know that we love you all. Some day we will all be together again. Weโ€™ll see you when we too cross the bridge.

Mom and Dad
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Beauty was a wonderful companion and great friend. We rescued her when she was almost two from her original "owner", who was desperate to find someone to feed and care for her "children", as she no longer could.

Beauty loved children, other dogs of reasonable size, and camping. She never cared for little tiny dogs, or cats, as she equated them to rabbits, squirrels, and other such things. With a little training she quickly learned that when camping you were not allowed to chase ANYTHING, and you could never bark inside a trailer, she was a great traveler. She was so pretty we would almost always acquire a group of kids when walking in the CGs, and even had a few folks photograph her. She was spade so other breeders lost interest.

There are so many good memories, but the most interesting perhaps is she could howl like a wolf. Scared a few neighbors in the beginning. Grandkids thought it was great fun to howl with her. I've heard many dogs howl, but very few actually sound much like a wolf. When you hear a wolf howl, you realize it is different.

So Beauty, if you can read this, I expect you to teach all our other furchildren how to actually howl like wolves. Then when Gail or I cross over, you can greet us that way, and scare all the neighbors again!
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

BigBears2
Explorer
Explorer
Our beloved pet Bear reached the end of life's journey this past Monday. He was smart and ever so eager to please and was the best dog I ever had and it was an honor to have known him. He was a tri-color Akita and though he was small for a male he had a heart as big as the sky. He will always be remembered by all those who knew him and missed.

I post this in loving memory of Mr. Bear as my heart breaks and the tears still fall.... I am lost without him.

January 26, 1996
January 4, 2010
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Engine, 3.9 rear ratio, 135" Wheel Base, GVWR 7,500lbs, GCWR 14,000lbs, GTWR 9,200lbs, Class IV Reese Receiver, Husky WD Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller

1994 Sportsmen mod# 2301, 23' Length, GVWR 5,512

dturm
Megan 12/30/2009, after 15 1/2 wonderful years

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

wilcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our beloved Joey, a 6-year old Jack Russel/Beagle mix sadly passed over the Rainbow Bridge, 12/19/09. He was adopted from our Belmont Co. Animal Shelter in 2003, and has been a wonderful traveling and camping companion. He always loved to walk the campgrounds and talk with the neighbors with his "happy growl". Perhaps he met some of you at Barkcamp SP, Spring Valley CG, in Cambridge, or Evergreen RV Resort in Mt. Eaton. What a wonderful way to connect with new friends in our travels.
Wil, Tara, Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 9 yr.-old) and Kalee (Wire Hair Terrier/Blue Heeler mix 1 yr. old)
2018 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2702; 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

Barbilou_and_Fu
Explorer
Explorer
Our precious Ella was put to sleep yesterday with Ron and I holding her tightly. She was only 8 years old, but had cancer according to the Mexican vet. We buried her in our yard near the casita here (near Kino Bay) with a big ironwood tree marker. And we sat at our campfire nearby and toasted her with Tecate beer until very late. Rest in peace, sweet Ella.
Casita (made of straw bales!) in Dos Palmas near Kino Bay

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Teddy and often called Teddy Bear or T-Bear.
May 4, 1993 to November 4, 2009, 16-1/2 years old.

We got him at 11 weeks and he traveled all over the USA with us. His favorite part of camping was the long walks and meeting people. He is gone, but will not be forgotten.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Rest in Peace Gilda, my beautiful friend and companion. I will never forget you.

CoachmenKen
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, we had to let our 13 yr old Golden Penny go off to Rainbow Bridge this past Wednesday. She had a great life with us, we raised her from a puppy. There, She'll meet her Brother, our 14 yr old Golden, Tucker who we lost in January. They both traveled with us everywhere and were the reason we got into the camping lifestyle, so we could travel and have them along. The next trip out will be very odd since we had our Goldens since buying the MH. We are looking into adopting one (or two) from a Golden rescue, hopefully we won't have to search long.

Miss you Tucker and Penny, but we know you're in a better place. We know you're waiting for us, along with Aja, and Lucky, your Golden cousins.

Ken & Dawn
Our DVGRR Golden rescue Daisy

Currently looking for a TT after doing the Class A thing

lefty6262
Explorer
Explorer

Toby is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. He left yesterday morning. he would have been 16 years old on Oct 14th. We miss our little "Buster Brown" so much. There is a loneliness & void unlike anything at our home now.

We will love you forever Toby.

John & Debbie][IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/33139lx.jpg" width=640>

Silver0216
Explorer
Explorer
SALEM May 4, 2001- August 22, 2009

Salem was born in a feral colony that I took care of. Her mother kept taking her out in a pasture and leaving her so I picked her up and raised her. She always had health issues but was active and seemed happy. She traveled everywhere with us vacations, horse shows etc and loved to sit on my shoulder and watch the miles go by. She was with us when we bought our first RV a Fifth wheel then our gasser MH then the Diesel. She loved to lay on the dash on her blanket and would chase the squeegee when we stopped an DH would clean the windows. She loved to travel and was at the door when she saw the MH being pulled down to the house to be loaded up.
At home she kept the other cats in line, she was the queen of the house and when she felt it was bed time at night would sit at the top of the stairs and meow until I came up then she would hop on my pillow and go to sleep. She would also demand her lap time from DH she always decided when and how long.
The past few years she had been fighting constant sinus problems we took her to several vets but none could tell us what was wrong. This past year she really slowed down and seemed to have more frequent bouts of breathing problems, no longer slept on my pillow and did`nt want her lap time, she slept on her blanket and spent most of the time sleeping and this past week she went down hill fast and I think she knew her time was coming to an end All week she wanted to go outside with me and would follow her dog Sterling around, Tuesday night she spent the whole night on my pillow(it had been months since she did that) by Wednesday her breathing was getting a little more difficult and she had trouble swallowing and wouldn`t eat but still wanted to sit out and walk with her dog. Thursday she only wanted to sit and by Friday night she could no longer breathe well IV fluids and meds were no longer helping. Saturday She was very distressed so I made the decision to let her go. The vet felt she had growths in her sinus cavity that finally started to press on her airway. She also felt something in Salem`s abdomen.
She was such a special kitty and I miss her so much, she has left a huge hole in my heart.

R I P my sweet Salem

Salem in Key Largo

Sunning herself at home
2020 Grand Design Momentum 395M
Sterling Blue Merle Aussie RIP
Cassie HimmyX RIP
Indy Red Merle Aussie
Keira Red Merle Mini Aussie
Cassie(Himalayan Mix)3/1/09-10/26/18
Jewel(Torti
Saber Blk DSH
Salem RIP
KitKat Orange tiger
Crystal Himmy/Ragdoll
Boots Tabby mix

chele
Explorer
Explorer
I lost my Callie dog last night. Nearly 14 years together; losing her has left a huge hole in my life. I'm so greatful we got to go on a real camping vacation together before she died. I'm thankful I followed my gut and took her to the vet. She had a tumor the size of a cantaloupe on her spleen; her lab results supported cancer. Surgery alone might have netted her another 19-26 days. How could I torture my best friend like that? So I let her go. She didn't even resist the injection. She died quickly and peacefully in my arms. I can't get over the crushing pain in my chest. I loved her so.
I miss you Laughing Girl
2008 GMC 3500HD Duramax, Allison and fiver friendly flatbed!
1995 26' Excel Legacy