cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible New Years night.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Our girl and we had a terrible night. All the folks "ringing in" the New Year starting at 9pm and going on well after midnight with fireworks and shooting guns into the air....(all are illegal in our county).
Absolutely terrified our dog. ...shaking uncontrollably, rapid panting, crying and running wildly around the house.
Tried it all - crate, music, trazadone, Thunder Jacket....
It was a long night. Happy New Year.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
11 REPLIES 11

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Here along the Intracoastal in central Florida, it was like the 4th of July in Michigan. The minute the sun went down, the fireworks started. Jimmy is bulletproof regarding loud noises; and fortunately Ben is edgy-but-fine as long as he's indoors. He would NOT go potty, though - once he's outside, he's terrified. So the worst "price" we pay is him asking to go out around (quiet) 4AM the following morning, before his bladder bursts....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Our 6 year old black lab just started fearing fireworks this year.. Found her in the closet over the 4th of July celebration....

She was fine last night... Glad it is over for you guys
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it's bad enough for the dogs to be terrified in the home but some are left out side and run around town freezing this time of the year. the 4th of July is bad too.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Unlike at our old house Jesse wasn't fazed by fireworks last night. It could be because they weren't as close but usually if it's anywhere near he freaks out. He was not at all disturbed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bud the Collie that passed a couple of years ago from a brain tumor was terrified of loud sounds. None of my current Collies seem to be bothered by noise.

dturm
I know what you went through. Our Kaiya was terrified, also at thunderstorms. This was our first event with our new rescue, Sasha and it was peaceful. Fortunately she wasn't affected by the booms. We'll see about thunder.

BTW, alprazolam works better for Kaiya than any other anti-anxiety med we tried.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Katie our dog slept with us all night. She does not like fireworks. Two year ago we were in Parker, Az. I had Katie in the dog run. Fireworks went off she hit the gate and ran off. Twenty minutes later here comes the fire truck with her inside. She ran out of the park and down the road until she saw the Fire House. The guys were nice to bring her back. She was traumatized for a whole week after that incident.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Lucky our shepherd mix does not like fireworks, guns, etc but as long as he can lay beside me he is fine. Lucie our shihtese however does the shaking, nervous panting and has to be in one of our laps. We also live out in the boonies so it was quiet except some smart individual set off one stick of dynamite within a 5 mile radius and that was not good for her.

Happy New Year folks.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, my ferocious pit bull Missy was a bundle of nerves last night. There is foot and a half space between my bed and the night table and she tried to squeeze her whole body into it.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like our old neighborhood. So glad we now live in the country, and our dog is not bothered by the noises. Heck we have propane cannons going off all around us right now to keep the geese at bay.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete