cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pup-Peroni treats...

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
For a long time we have given our dogs as a treat Pup-Peronis.
I was sure they were not processed in China.

Lately on Facebook there has been a poster circulating that list all the treats that are made in China and to not buy them. Many I recognized as treats that had been recalled in the past or were repeat offenders.

So I went on the web site for Del Monte pet products and I contacted customer service with my question. Do they or do they not make Pup-Peronis in China...simple question.

Below is the response I got this morning.

June 16, 2014

Dear Sharon

Thank you for your email about Pup-Peroni dog treats. We're glad you took the time to contact us and we appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Pup-Peroni treats are made right here in the USA with domestically sourced beef or chicken.

It may be helpful to know that Federal Regulations require a product to list the country of origin if it has been produced outside of the US or one of it's territories. So if one of our products does not specifically state the country of origin, then you can assume it was produced in the US or a US territory.

Our pets are members of our family too, and keeping them safe and healthy is our top priority. Thanks again for contacting us and giving us a chance to respond.

Donna, Big Hearts Pet Brands Consumer Affairs

I feel better having received this, I don't know how many of you gives these as treats but these are the only ones that we buy except for the occasional box of Milk Bones.
If you have given up these treats because you thought maybe they came from China maybe this will make you feel better too.

I just wanted to pass this along, I don't have any stake in this company or own any stock this is for information only.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001
17 REPLIES 17

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:

Regarding salt/fat/sugar? It's not a treat unless it contains those. For pets OR people....LOL!!!!

Minus those three ingredients, you've got hospital food! Blech!
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
frmAloha wrote:
I, too, appreciate your posting, Sher. Finding treats we can trust is not easy. Any and all information is helpful, and I think that I'll go ahead and try those treats with my dog. ๐Ÿ™‚

Same for me! I usually give people-food rewards, but sometimes it's nice to have something easy and quickly available. My fallback treat has been Stewart's Freeze Dried Liver, but I think my grocery store sells the Puperonis.

Regarding salt/fat/sugar? It's not a treat unless it contains those. For pets OR people....LOL!!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Finally Time wrote:
Apparently they don't have much sugar. My ex-husband was a fan of pepperoni sticks and not big on reading labels. He glanced at the Pupperoni package and dug in. He came into the living room and said don't buy this brand again, doesn't have much flavor.

LOL

frmAloha
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, appreciate your posting, Sher. Finding treats we can trust is not easy. Any and all information is helpful, and I think that I'll go ahead and try those treats with my dog. ๐Ÿ™‚
Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently they don't have much sugar. My ex-husband was a fan of pepperoni sticks and not big on reading labels. He glanced at the Pupperoni package and dug in. He came into the living room and said don't buy this brand again, doesn't have much flavor.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dr. Doug and Judy, I don't feel like such a bad Mom right now.
Like I said they are treats not meals, my pups go nuts when they see the red bag Judy...they know exactly what's coming!
Oh and our new rescue, Csepki knew the first time I brought that bag out, I think he knew!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

dturm
sher9570 wrote:
They clearly state that their ingredients are domestically sourced beef and chicken.
Really sorry I posted this.

Sher

I'm not.

Whenever anybody mentions diets or food sources you get people that have ingrained perception of what is good/not good, appropriate/inappropriate, dangerous, etc. Many of these perceptions are fueled by inaccurate "facts" or made from current human recommendations extrapolated to dogs and cats (always a dangerous practice.)

In fact, unless a specific disease condition exists, salt, fat and sugar have little long term effect on dogs and cats. While sugar and fat often offer calories not needed and complicate obesity, most dogs and cats don't suffer from cardiovascular disease from dietary fat or from type 2 diabetes.

A pupperoni treat sounds like a reasonable practice when used as you do Sher.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

bt6845
Explorer
Explorer
I lost my collie, don't know if thy lovely neighbor did this or her love for chicken jerky.
Doggies get cheddar cheese for their treat now and they love it.

chele
Explorer
Explorer
No more than our dogs get I'm not to worried about the sugar or fat in them. Our dogs love them! Quite the "decadent" treat for them. Kinda like when I sneak into the ice cream.
2008 GMC 3500HD Duramax, Allison and fiver friendly flatbed!
1995 26' Excel Legacy

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Sher, we give Darcy the lean version of Pupperoni, but only 2 or 3 times a week. I save them for when we are eating something she can't have or as a reward, broken into little pieces. Boy, they know that red bag, don't they? :B She also gets the occasional small milk bone.

I gave up on all the treats available that have a USA flag on the front and "HEALTHY" all over the package.. More careful examination inevitably shows they were made in China.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
They clearly state that their ingredients are domestically sourced beef and chicken.
Really sorry I posted this.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of preservatives and salt, sugar, fat in this stuff - I wouldn't feed it - JMHO...

Also, just because it's made in the USA doesn't mean the ingredients are sourced in the USA.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
Good save on that one. Facebook is a VERY bad place to get that sort of information as it has zero consequences for what is posted there. i've been feeding Pup-paroni also with no problems of any kind.

Thanks Skip, I agree with the FB comment, I question a lot of things but then again so much on the internet has to be questioned.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Just because its made in America doesn't mean its good for your dog.

Its got sugar and other stuff in it I would not feed my dog.

Decide for your self.

clicky link

Maybe so but what I'm talking about is a "treat" not a meal.
Once in a while we all treat ourselves...well maybe not you.
Just thought this info would be helpful for those that use this product.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3