Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Food Recall

rangerette
Explorer
Explorer
yahoo news link - pet food recall

There is incomplete information at this time, but thought it good to post this as soon as possible.
Jackie
245 REPLIES 245

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I had been feeding my dogs this food by Solid Gold. It is not subject to the recall, due mainly to Solid Gold using higher than normal quality ingredients.

They make both dog and cat foods. I can highly recommend this food to everyone. It was available in some pet stores, but not everywhere. I guess you can contact the website to find a local vendor. The bags are plastic, so air does not get inside. Also check the date on the bag, use the product while it is fresh. There is a vitamin supplement too - I used seameal in 1 pound containers - 1 tablespoon for each of our 65 and 130 pound dogs. They got fed once a day. Perhaps a tablespoon is all that is required for a smaller pet that is fed twice a day.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showcat.php?cat=0

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Three more brands have now recalled foods, but I didn't catch which ones... I guess the most current list is supposed to be at the AVMA website. If you are feeding any commercial food with any grain products in it, I'd recommend that you check it daily. (Actually, I'd recommend you find a food that is grain free, but if you can't or won't do that, then I'd recommend checking the list daily.)
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

JTMO
Explorer
Explorer
Our cat is going in tomorrow. She had a great time at the rally this weekend, but she has gone from fat to skin and bones in weeks, high thirst.
Purina was added today, and she was sometimes eating chicken and gravy, Fancy feast with Wheat Gluten. Thankfully only occassionally.
If it says WHEAT GLUTEN, dog, or cat, I would throw it out.
She's looking bad.
Menu foods, Purina, Del Monte.

The other cat eats Hills prescription diet, but the no wheat Gluten W/D instead of the M/D. This is a Purina product only form your vet. The M/d is for Diabetic cats.

Dog food kibble is now on the list and biscuts.
Since then, Hill's Prescription Diet m/d Feline Dry food, Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food from Nestle Purina PetCare and Jerky Treats Beef Flavor Dog Snacks, Gravy Train Beef Sticks Dog Snacks and Pounce Meaty Morsels Moist Chicken Flavor Cat Treats from Del Monte Pet Products made between specific dates were recalled after learning wheat gluten was supplied to them from the same Chinese company.
Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

tom_kat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised none of the food ingredients is tested that goes into the food ,makes you wonder what were eating and if it has been tested first before its made.today we laid to rest our old cat of 18 yrs who has been sick since Xmas she had some of the food that was on the list,she had what the vet thought was cancer but we have had other sick pets with problems also,don't know for sure if the food she ate had anything to do with passing on because of her age but it certainly didn't do her any good ,we have been making our own wet food for them since the recall,hopefully none of the dry food they eat is on the list but they keep adding more dry foods to the list also,we make sure there is no wheat gluten on ingredient list on the bags.
1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I predict the industry will undergo some changes.

Now here on this island when I arrived in 1983 few took their new little kittens and pups to the vet for shots. One vet covered a huge territory. Then the coyotes arrived in 1985. A few years ago came the first case of rabies, then the first rabies bloom. Where I live was in a bait drop area.

There are now 3 vets around and the one I go to has 3 vets on duty, several assistants and they are run off their feet.

Or it may be unrlated, but how often is a guard rail put along a road soon after someone either almost loses or loses a life in an accident.

This is too mega news for changes not to happen.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Hit_The_Road_J1
Explorer
Explorer
GBlack wrote:
dturm wrote:
The only form of Hill's dry food being recalled at this time is Prescription diet m/d - a feline diet used mostly for diabetic cats.

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_US.htm
Doug

True -- but for how long??? It seems like the "affected foods" are changing by the day, or even the hour. Maybe I'm paranoid, but at this point I'm afraid to feed my little poodle ANY dog/cat food at all.

I believe now is the time for all pet lovers/owners to take a course in amateur chemistry and not have to rely on this lying/criminal industry.
2006 DIY Dodge Badged Sprinter Conversion

GBlack
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
The only form of Hill's dry food being recalled at this time is Prescription diet m/d - a feline diet used mostly for diabetic cats.

Doug

True -- but for how long??? It seems like the "affected foods" are changing by the day, or even the hour. Maybe I'm paranoid, but at this point I'm afraid to feed my little poodle ANY dog/cat food at all.

dturm

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Ngataki
Explorer
Explorer
Now Hill's Pet Nutrition is also recalling some of its dry pet food.. What blows my brains out is the following..

"We are fully cooperating with the FDA" and are using this "precautionary" measure because during a 2 months period early 2007 we used the same wheat gluten supplier as used by Menu Foods.."

My answer..

They just realized NOW they had the same supplier.. I tell you.. this behavior is criminal....
Starcraft 2500RKS
F-150 Screw - 5.4L - 3.73L axle
Hensley Arrow - TruControlโ„ข - McKeshยฎ Mirrors

Ngataki
Explorer
Explorer
Just got an e-mail from P&G (Iams and Eukanuba) here are a few sentences..

First, there is no melamine or aminopterin in any of our Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods on store shelves.

In fact, Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods to DO NOT contain wheat gluten. Our dry dog and cat foods are made exclusively by P&G Pet Care and not by Menu Foods.

Now this entire industry is taken over by lawyers..So each word and sentence is "well" crafted to withstand all legal scrutiny...
Starcraft 2500RKS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ngataki wrote:
The more they do research and analysis the more they find.. Just take the bag of your pet food and see the listing of all the ingredients..Rest assured they will find more..
Read HERE and HERE

Iam's isn't clean either... read HERE

ps disclaimer .. I have nothing to do with PETA and do not agree with some of their practices..However, some issues they raise are on target...

I've been following this rather closely, since I feed Iams dry food. The FDA sent a warning letter to Iams because it was using a chemical in its Diet Food that wasn't approved for dogs. The product was Chromium Tripicolinate. I know that Chromium Picolinate is a COMMON diet supplement taken by humans. Either Iams is merely in trouble for using a "human product" in their dog food....or.... anyone using Chromium supplements for themselves had better inquire why the FDA says it's not good for dogs.....

And so far, the culprit in the deaths of the pets appears to have been tainted wheat gluten. At this point - it looks like it's tainted with at least a FEW things.... but I just read the label on my dog food, and wheat gluten is NOT listed as an ingredient in the regular, green-bag Iams.

Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Ngataki
Explorer
Explorer
The more they do research and analysis the more they find.. Just take the bag of your pet food and see the listing of all the ingredients..Rest assured they will find more..
Read HERE and HERE

Iam's isn't clean either... read HERE

ps disclaimer .. I have nothing to do with PETA and do not agree with some of their practices..However, some issues they raise are on target...
Starcraft 2500RKS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
There is no risk to human food, he told reporters.

That's NOT what CNN sort of implied a little while ago - they hinted that the tainted wheat gluten *could* have been used in human food, also?? That at the moment, nobody knows for sure....

Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
FDA Testing Reveals Chemical in Pet Food

WASHINGTON Mar 30, 2007 (AP)โ€” Recalled pet foods contained a chemical used to make plastics, but government tests failed to confirm the presence of rat poison, federal officials said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient. Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, sometimes used as a fertilizer, in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating the company's wet food.
The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said. There is no risk to human food, he told reporters.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sue, that's clarifying things.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006