Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Food Recall

rangerette
Explorer
Explorer
yahoo news link - pet food recall

There is incomplete information at this time, but thought it good to post this as soon as possible.
Jackie
245 REPLIES 245

lightkeeper
Explorer
Explorer
cervri wrote:
I unfortunally had to have my horse euthanized. When she was "put down" she was given a some blue liquid in her neck. She had to have two and a half since she was so toxic. She went down and her heart stopped. They had to do the same thing with our little dog Annie a couple of years later, only not such a hugh amount.
Some farm animals are shot with a bullet in their brains. Depends on the animal and what they are going to do with it, and who the owner is and what the owner wants. Usually if the animal is to be food, it is shot in the brain. The Physical method is a sledge hammer to the top of there head bashing them to death. There is also a Mechanical hammer used in slautherhouse's.
However, that is not consiteded euthanision.
DeeDee

As a pet lover I find the thought of using a sledge hammer barbaric.
Most death row inmates are now treated better than that.
2003 Starcraft TravelStar 21RB hybrid
2007 Chevrolet Z71 2WD Avalanche

"If I Die While Camping, I'm Already Halfway To Heaven!"

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
More Recall Information
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

dturm
Looking back, we've had three suspicious cases in the last 6 weeks. Two cats and a dog, all under 7 years of age with kidney failure that didn't seem to fit with "normal" age related renal disease or exposure to known toxins, etc. One of the cats survived and was fed food from the recalled list.

The real problem here is proof. While I'm not a big fan of coincidence, I can't say for sure these three were caused by the food.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Mrs__Mik
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone actually have an animal that's gotten sick? I see someone had their dogs tested, but no actual illnesses yet.

Our Murphy (kitty), had had some wet Nutriplan not too long ago. About three weeks ago, she was acting strange. All she wanted to do was sleep in our linen closet on top of the towels. I took her out and tried to coax her to eat, but all she wanted to do was climb back into that closet and sleep. She wouldn't purr and wasn't eating (she LOVES her wet food in the morning!) or drinking, and wasn't going poo (we watched when she went to the litter box and she just strained and strained, and finally had a little runny poo). I know my kitty and took her in just because she wasn't acting normal and I just "knew" she was sick. (In fact, she was so sick that she didn't even get car sick like she usually does on the way to the vet!)

Keep in mind, this was BEFORE the recall. She had a fever of 106 (apparently, even for a cat, that's high), and the vet thought she had an intestional bug. She was put on antibiotics (real FUN to give a cat a pill every day! LOL) and is fine now.

I'm wondering if her illness was because of the Nutriplan, and how can I get that $70 vet bill reimbursed! Obviously, she's better now, and I don't have the cat food can any more (like anyone keeps those for better than three weeks!), but I'm curious as to how this will be handled. I have no proof, except timing . . .

So, anyone else have a pet that actually got sick?

Julie
See my profile for more information!

cervri
Explorer
Explorer
I unfortunally had to have my horse euthanized. When she was "put down" she was given a some blue liquid in her neck. She had to have two and a half since she was so toxic. She went down and her heart stopped. They had to do the same thing with our little dog Annie a couple of years later, only not such a hugh amount.
Some farm animals are shot with a bullet in their brains. Depends on the animal and what they are going to do with it, and who the owner is and what the owner wants. Usually if the animal is to be food, it is shot in the brain. The Physical method is a sledge hammer to the top of there head bashing them to death. There is also a Mechanical hammer used in slautherhouse's.
However, that is not consiteded euthanision.
DeeDee
Oh, on the dog food issue, I think I got lucky when I decided to feed my "little" Chi only raw foods or what we eat ourselves. Although he does not like carrots and peas (like all children it is hard to get him to eat his veggies) and he get's "tired" of the same raw meat so I try and rotate his meats. When I say "little" I mean our stocky (for a chi) 12 pound little man. The raw meat must work wonders!!
2001 Dodge 3500 4x4. 2005 31.5 HH DA Luxury Suite.

See our current location

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Do any of you know how farm animals are euthanized??

I looked it up and let's just say by "mechanical" or "physical" methods, not by lethal injection as with smaller animals. Some pets such as horses might be given tranquilizers in advance, though.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

dturm
I don't work on anything larger than a great dane, but I find it difficult to believe that pentobarb would be used to euthanize large animals. Because of cost, I just can't imagine it would be done. Do any of you know how farm animals are euthanized??

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
lilhowlinwolf wrote:
I saw something the other day about phenobarbitol being in pet foods. That's usually reserved for seizures.
It's also used to euthanize animals.

Mark

Food and Drug Administration/Center for Veterinary Medicine Report on the risk from pentobarbital in...

CVM scientists, as part of their investigation, developed a test to detect dog and cat DNA in the protein of the dog food. All samples from the most recent dog food survey (2000) that tested positive for pentobarbital, as well as a subset of samples that tested negative, were examined for the presence of remains derived from dogs or cats. The results demonstrated a complete absence of material that would have been derived from euthanized dogs or cats. The sensitivity of this method is 0.005% on a weight/weight basis; that is, the method can detect a minimum of 5 pounds of rendered remains in 50 tons of finished feed. Presently, it is assumed that the pentobarbital residues are entering pet foods from euthanized, rendered cattle or even horses.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Wysong food for over 18 years
ck out their website and look for pet food ( as they do people products also)
Wysong.net
THeir food is organic and no preservatives and no fillers
You can order from them an there are distributors all over the country
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
darr wrote:
I think i will start making my own dog food. I have a small Chi and feeding her Nutro Natural Choice. I don't have any that is on the recall list,but now i will not give it to her.

Darr, do you mean you are going to stop feeding the food she's used to? Talk to your vet first, but toy breed dogs don't do well with sudden changes in diet. If there is not a good reason to stop the Nutro Natural Choice, I wouldn't take it away from her all at once. Your call, of course, but I think we have to not panic.
Darcy the Min Pin

darr
Explorer
Explorer
I think i will start making my own dog food. I have a small Chi and feeding her Nutro Natural Choice. I don't have any that is on the recall list,but now i will not give it to her.

lilhowlinwolf
Explorer
Explorer
My Aunt used to feed her Great Pyr - Iams Lamb & Rice, because the vet told her it was for animals that were allergic to poultry products. The dog loved it until about a year ago, when Iams changed their formula and the vet told her to avoid Iams. He then advised Purina's new "One" and the dog never leaves the bowl till it's empty!

I saw something the other day about phenobarbitol being in pet foods. That's usually reserved for seizures.
Wolf
Home 56.16ยฐN -96.9ยฐW ~ Wall 12 man and Eureka 6 man Egyptian cotton tent ~ Winter S/V Porque No 7.25ยฐN -80.8ยฐW //Mitakuye oyasin!
Died Nov 2008

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I think about it, when we took the IAMS "cuts in gravy" cans back to PetsMart in December, the clerk told us that IAMS had recently "changed their formula" and they'd had a lot of it returned. It must be that some dogs were refusing it. The reports I've heard state that ten cats died of kidney failure, but no reports of dog fatalities. You have to wonder, though.

Our dogs' main food is a kibble not on the list of recall companies, but we'd use an occasional small can of IAMS when I don't have home-cooked chicken for them. Darn, this is like messing with baby food. I hope somebody does an in-depth study on the pet food industry.
Darcy the Min Pin

Ngataki
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody with some experience about Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance dry food.. I think I am becoming nervous about Eukanuba also.. I always fed my dogs dry food.. But I am starting to get my doubts about these corrupt practices with the BIG NAMES..(4d food, etc.. give me a break..)

๐Ÿ™‚
Starcraft 2500RKS
F-150 Screw - 5.4L - 3.73L axle
Hensley Arrow - TruControlโ„ข - McKeshยฎ Mirrors

dfrost
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday we went to the pet store to get more food for our dog, and bought the Nutro packets. Read the recall info this morning and discovered the brand we bought is on the list, but the dates are prior to the recall dates. The original article said that wheat gluten was the suspect but hadn't been confirmed. Wheat gluten is supposed to be a source of protein and is the third item on the contents. Now our delima is.... do we take it back for a refund or assume it should be safe?

I too feel like we are being ripped off. We think we are getting a better product by going to the pet store, only to find out the cheap stuff is being manufactured by the same company as the expensive foods.
Bruce & Terry
2003 F250 Lariet CC w/7.3 PSD Fx4 Full gauge pack
2009 Laredo 245RL 5th wheel
1990 27' HiLo (TT with a Vertical Slide)
2 Chi's, Spencer and Lexi