cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life goes on

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
We miss Andy. We miss his gentle presence in our home and in our lives. But life goes on, and with it the never ending need for homes for dogs in shelters and rescue organizations. So yesterday my husband and I drove downstate and adopted another sheltie from Central Illinois Sheltie Rescue. A 6 year old female named Buttons who was given up because a new baby was coming, and the resident toddler wasn't being taught how to treat dogs. Buttons is sweet, obedient and loving. She's smaller than Andy was and is so smart. She's figured out the household already and knows the best places to sleep and whose lap is the softest. We did not get Buttons to replace Andy. You can never replace one dog with another because each do has its own individual personality, and you love them for that. Untechnical me has asked Pops to post the photos for me, and he has graciously offered to do this. So watch for photos of a cute little sheltie girl. And thanks for all your understanding and compassion while I dealt with that heart wrenching but unavoidable part of life.

Rita
Buttons, our new sheltie girl
Andy and Champ at the bridge
Nicky, the Tennessee Walker
24 REPLIES 24

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
She is beautiful..I am sure she will help to heal your broken heart.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I know how you feel, when we lost Diesel, we had Daisy but she lost her spark. We then adopted Misty and it was the perfect fit and thing to do. Beautiful pup!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

The silence was deafening. :C

I agree. Not only do we love our pets beyond words, they also entertain us, protect us, make us be active and social; probably fulfill some innate need to nurture something; and in the words of my daughter who will be getting a puppy in another week: "I need a crumb-cleaner!!!!" (She's got 2 toddlers and the family dog had to be put down a couple of months ago). So when our lives and hearts are so incredibly intertwined, yes! - losing one leaves a massive hole in our hearts and our lives.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
We need the pitter-patter of little paws to make our house a home. CONGRATS! Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new arrival!

Kudos for using Central Illinois Sheltie Rescue, know them well they are great people.

If it's worth anything about adopting 'too soon'?

After 40 years of Danes and all the heartache of bloat, cancer and them dieing before they ever saw 5 years old sometimes.

After the last Dane passed away at 4 yrs old, I said NO MORE DOGS EVER...........
I lasted a whole 2 weeks.

The silence was deafening. :C

Again glad you rescued a sheltie, she is VERY lucky to have found you as her new owners.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Buttons is a beautiful baby and very lucky to have you as a forever home and I am sure she will bring you many hours of happiness.
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Buttons is absolutely beautiful !! I know too well how you feel, we do tend to adopt another deserving pup fairly soon after losing a beloved one.
Many people have asked us how we could do it so soon and I always reply that I'm not replacing so&so, I'm just refilling my heart with the love I have for all animals.
There is nothing that heals you quicker either.
Buttons will have such a good life with you!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, how adorable is Buttons? I can see how she got her name, with those bright button eyes! You have to wonder sometimes, if certain things are just meant to be. I wish for you many happy years together.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
What a beautiful girl that little Button's is! You are all blessed to have one another. We feel the same for the many dogs in shelters needing loving homes. Seems as we lose one, we get another in order to share the love and help another one out. I often wonder though who is being helped the most?! Us or the dog.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
What a little beauty! Andy's body is gone but not his soul. It will forever be melded with yours. We never replace but add to.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
God bless you, Rita, for adopting again. Buttons will be most appreciative too. You're right, you cannot replace them but you can expand their legacy of love by helping another. :c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful furbaby...they never replace, just earn their own spot in our hearts.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Rita - I'm so happy for you! You're right - a new dog doesn't replace one who's being grieved - but they DO help distract you from the heartache 😉 Buttons is beautiful - she's a very lucky girl to have a loving family like yours!!!

Best wishes to all of you!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buttons is a good looking girl, reminds me of the collie I grew up with. He has been gone for 45 years and I still miss him.
We just went through the same turmoil, we had to let both our toy poodles go. They had good lives but it was time. We found Millie, a Shih Tzu/Maltese cross who is the sweetest little girl imaginable. Although she has stolen our hearts, she will never replace Lulu and Gigi but as you say it is time to move on. All the best. I will post a picture when I figure out how.