cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy Rug or Dog Bed - Materials That Won't Draw Moisture?

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
We camp when it cold. We just purchased a 2310 Hi Lo after using a pop-up and other various unit. Our floors are vinyl, our dogs are large (65 & 82 lbs) and currently they sleep on a furry memory foam pad with non-slip (sort of) bottom. It draws a LOT of moisture. When can put them outside and get things dry when the wind isn't blowing - this is KS, it is usually blowing.

Any ideas on what might work? Thanks!
Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day
6 REPLIES 6

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
I bought yoga mats since they were easy to get my hands on. They are working nicely. Also found that cutting off a link to place under the dinette bench cushions has greatly reduced slippage there. We are going to line cabinets and outside baggage compartments with the remainder.
Appreciating each day

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to see what I can find in town this week.

That "Hypervent" would have been great in the pop-up we just moved up from! Constant struggle.
Appreciating each day

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Go to the hardware store, Home Depot or something of that nature and get the interlocking heavy foam tiles and put the beds on top of them. We do that in our basement because we only have a thin rug down. The crates rest on the tiles instead of the floor. They aren't that expensive and you can undo them for easy storage/transport. It will keep the coldness from getting to the bottom of the bed.

I'm thinking along that line, too - one of my favorite cushiony-and-cheap things is yoga mat. It's closed-cell foam, so it doesn't absorb water (I use smaller pieces as kayak seat padding) - and it's easily cut to any size or shape with kitchen shears. A 2' x 6' yoga mat can be bought for $25 or so... here's one for less than $20:

yoga mat
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You are getting condensation between the cold floor and the dog bed. This also happens between foam mattresses and a solid platform.

There is some stuff called "Hypervent" that works pretty well according to people who use it on boats, etc.

HYPERVENT installation
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the hardware store, Home Depot or something of that nature and get the interlocking heavy foam tiles and put the beds on top of them. We do that in our basement because we only have a thin rug down. The crates rest on the tiles instead of the floor. They aren't that expensive and you can undo them for easy storage/transport. It will keep the coldness from getting to the bottom of the bed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Cold plus heat eqquals condensation. There is little you can do to stop it except to stop the cold coming up through the floor.