cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escapee Rainbow Parks To Require Core Vaccinations

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
We have always gotten the yearly vaccinations for our dogs until I became more educated about them. Now, we only get the annual rabies shots for our senior and healthy 2 dogs.

As an Escapee member, I just learned that our dogs will not be welcome in the Rainbow Parks without the "core" vaccinations as stated by the ASPCA: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/vaccinations-your-pet If the vet were to state they didn't need them, I guess we could get an exemption but even when one of the dogs ended up 2 years in a row having her eyes swell shut and ears swell to the tip, the vet didn't think it was a big deal, of course, he didn't have to watch her scratch at her eyes and run into things. She got a shot and it cleared after 24 hours.

I have just read so much about the hazards and both of my senior dogs (both 11+ larger dogs) are healthy.

So, just a warning that Rainbow Parks will be asking if you have these core vaccinations for your dogs.

It is unfortunate that they have depended on the ASPCA to do their research for them.

Guess that was a waste of $39 bucks!
Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day
12 REPLIES 12

dturm
The ASPCA guidelines are not too different than the AVMA/AAHA guideline that have been worked on over the last several years. The wording is a little less precise and I agree they don't have the standing of the national veterinary organizations, IMO.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
If standards are followed to protect animal health it seems to me they should be those established by the American Veterinary Medical Association. You know--the professionals in animal care. That they followed the apparently very loose and easy to get around ASPCA guidelines makes me think they're simply putting something on paper as a protection against liability (which in all likelihood is any campground's main concern, of course).
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I believe it's always been the rule that your pets must be up to date on their vaccines. But they never asked before. As I understand it, you may be asked, but you don't have to produce the paperwork. But if you ever go to the Escapees park at Wauchula, you will be asked to produce it. At least we were 10 years ago and our registration would not be completed until I went into the motorhome, put out the slide, unloaded the bed, and got the papers from my stash under the bed. I think Florida has had that rule for some time. We were recently asked when we stopped at a county park there last fall. Didn't have to produce it, but were asked.

Many vaccines are regional as some sources of disease are not present. In areas where diseases are found, it's a good idea to check to see if your pet needs something. My dog gets the treatment for kennel cough. My vet says if they sniff noses with another dog that's all it takes. I boarded our two ONE night at a very reputable facility. Both had kennel cough by the next day. Cost almost $300 to treat. Wow. Don't want a dog to have that again. . . they cough and wheeze and sound like they can't breath. Really scary. Kennel cough has dozens of varieties and the treatment only keeps them from getting it really bad. . . like a flue shot does for us.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our vets have always given shots in our presence also. Usually in the scruff on the back of the neck, not shoulders.

dturm
The ASPCA guidelines on vaccination are pretty non-specific and allow a lot of flexibility for you and your vet.

Core Vaccines:
For Dogs: Vaccines for canine parvovirus, distemper, canine hepatitis and rabies are considered core vaccines. Non-core vaccines are given depending on the dog’s exposure risk. These include vaccines against Bordetella bronchiseptica, Borrelia burgdorferi and Leptospira bacteria.

Timing or frequency:
For adult dogs: Some adult dogs might receive certain vaccines annually, while other vaccines might be given every three years or longer.

If you and your vet determine that a particular vaccine is not appropriate for your animal, a simple letter stating that should fit into this protocol (the "or longer" being the meaningful phrase).
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I am not part of the Escapee group, but I do agree with the idea of having your pet vaccinated per set standards. Whose standard? That may be the question, but the ASPCA is a recognized national organization and nation wide standardization begins somewhere.

Here again, the only reason "big brother" is pushing for a global take-over is because individuals think the rules of common decency don't apply to them, they are exempt (for whatever reason). Every law and rule created is because people (you and me and every one else) just don't have the brains and respect for others to do the right thing. (Traffic laws are definately one example of big brother having to enforce rules because people think they are exempt, and then they still cry and belly-ach when they get caught breaking traffic laws too.)

If your pet is going to be in a public setting, it needs to be adequately vaccinated. If not, the first time your dog gets into a scrap with another animal, or a human person, you'll most definitely be glad you pet had all it's vaccinations. Plus, those vaccinations are designed to protect the animal too. Let the dog get a hold of a contaminated rodent, it gets sick and dies, you'll be crying!

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
When Darcy (min pin)had her last set of vacs, I asked that the new vet keep tje vacs to the minimum as a number of regular shots are optional here. They took her into another room and gave ALL the shots in her right shoulder, plus she had the nasal spray one. We brought her home and she was in extreme pain for days! She couldn't walk without crying and made threatening noises if we put out a hand to pet her. All I had at the time was Tramadol so I gave her one of those. We even went out and bought her a new soft bed. When I complained about my dog's pain, the vet's office told us that they like to vary the location. This outcome is just not okay with me. For one thing, I don't want her taken away from us for shots. Our old country vet (now at Rainbow Bridge himself) always used the dog's rump for shots and we never had a lame dog. Darcy's not going to go back to the "new vet." There must still be one that will let us be in the room and follow our wishes, wouldn't you think?
My vet does all of the shots and exam with me in the room. You definitely need a different vet!
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
DOTLDaddy wrote:
dturm wrote:
Where did you hear about the new regulation and who is behind the new regulations? As an Escapee member (and a veterinarian), I'd like to share some input with the proper authorities....

Doug, I think he's referring to this bit from "Escapees News".

http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d8bc0f46a19a696e5c335f4d2&id=d4558846f6&e=c030726d6c

Yes, that popped up in my email this week.

We don't visit the Escapee parks much anymore. At one time they were regular stops along our routes, but their new policy regarding allowing seasonal rentals of former "campsites" means few FHU/50amp sites are even available for transients to catch their breath for a couple days. So they are off our list. That decision has made for a much "trashier" look to the campgrounds with painted wooden decks and yardbarns going up on sites and we don't care to park there anymore.

Dale

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
When Darcy (min pin)had her last set of vacs, I asked that the new vet keep tje vacs to the minimum as a number of regular shots are optional here. They took her into another room and gave ALL the shots in her right shoulder, plus she had the nasal spray one. We brought her home and she was in extreme pain for days! She couldn't walk without crying and made threatening noises if we put out a hand to pet her. All I had at the time was Tramadol so I gave her one of those. We even went out and bought her a new soft bed. When I complained about my dog's pain, the vet's office told us that they like to vary the location. This outcome is just not okay with me. For one thing, I don't want her taken away from us for shots. Our old country vet (now at Rainbow Bridge himself) always used the dog's rump for shots and we never had a lame dog. Darcy's not going to go back to the "new vet." There must still be one that will let us be in the room and follow our wishes, wouldn't you think?
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
dturm wrote:
Where did you hear about the new regulation and who is behind the new regulations? As an Escapee member (and a veterinarian), I'd like to share some input with the proper authorities....

Doug, I think he's referring to this bit from "Escapees News".

http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d8bc0f46a19a696e5c335f4d2&id=d4558846f6&e=c030726d6c

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

dturm
Where did you hear about the new regulation and who is behind the new regulations? As an Escapee member (and a veterinarian), I'd like to share some input with the proper authorities.

Almost every campground has a rule that your pet must be current on vaccinations. Rules are usually found buried in the pet related rules. In our 30+ years of camping/RVing we've been asked ONCE for proof. We do carry vaccination certificates.

Also, if your vet didn't think two episodes of acute anaphylactic reactions were an issue, you need to find another vet. AND, I'd recommend vaccination for rabies every 3 years rather than annually (if allowed by local regulation). That is minimizing vaccinations.

Core vaccinations are for the protection of the dog population as well as your own dogs. While there is always some risk, AND old protocols were over-vaccinating animals, the new protocols of core vaccinations every 3 years (with individual evaluations and determination by your vet) is a reasonable attempt to keep your dog/cat safe while protecting the general canine/feline population.

Titer testing should be accepted in lieu of vaccination.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if they will accept a titer testing certificate?
If your dogs proves to be protected through this test (titer) they should accept it in lieu of the actual vaccines.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro