cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dog clippers

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for new dog clippers, and could use some suggestions. I have Oster A5 golden clippers now. I've had them for about 20 years. They still work great.

The only thing is, they're heavy and I have arthritis in my hands. I'm looking for lighter weight clippers. I'm leaning toward Oster because mine work so well.
I have a Lhasa Apso, a miniature poodle, and a miniature poodle/yorkie mix that I groom.
Any and all suggestions appreciated.
I do intend to try to find them in a store so I can feel the weight.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
11 REPLIES 11

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Oster dog clipper and an Oster human clipper. The only difference in them is the width of the teeth in the cutter part. They even come with the same identical attachments (the spacers). When trimming our dog, I use both. Sometimes one cuts a little better than the other, and when one begins to get too warm, I switch to the other. They both work great on humans, but it all depends upon the hair of the dog.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any problem at all with the Andis blades getting hot while clipping my Shih Tzu. He has a very thick, cottony coat, but the Andis can get through it just fine on low speed. I don't think I've ever turned it on high. On low the blade never even really gets warm. But I do stop a lot to assess the situation ;), so it gets regular breaks.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Andis UltraEdge AGC Super 2-Speed. I like it and the ability to change blades. I keep extra blade for the ones I use the most, because a hot blade is often what causes clipper burn. Check the back of the blade against the back of your hand often to monitor the heat. The blades heat up pretty fast, especially at high speed. Low speed is usually fine for most needs. When you change blades, set the flat part of the blade on a cool surface, such as marble or granite to cool it down faster, especially if you'll need to reuse it soon.

Andis Dog Clipper
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased an Oster animal care pro trimmer from Walmart. It has a tug free T-blade and can be used on sensitive areas. It is lightweight and quiet so it doesn't scare them. I think I paid $14.99 or there abouts. I have been using it for a couple of years now and I am very pleased with it. My small dog doesn't mind me using it on her either(doesn't scare her).

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I didn't come back until now. Last minute trip to doctor.

Thankyou for all the replies, and the links. I'm going to investigate them now. I groomed the poodle/yorkie on Monday, and it was hard to hold the clippers.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I get set in my ways and resist change. (Translation: old and set in my ways) LOL But then, I keep 4 clippers in holders on the wall, each with a different blade. That way I don't have to change the blades out. And the clippers don't over heat as I keep changing which one I am using.

I like doing that. Back before I did my own grooming, my one dog came home more than once from a professional grooming shop with bad clipper burn. I hate to see that happen to a dog. It's got to be painful -- it required vet care more than once.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
raindove wrote:
This is the one I tried that I couldn't use.

The thing I don't like about the Wahls is that adjustable blade.

I like a clipper that I can put on the blade I want -- I use
7F, 10, 15, and 40 blades to do my dogs. I keep the 40 blade to be able to trim hair away from wounds or sore skin spots.

But remember the adjustable clippers usually have settings for 9, 10, 15, 30 and 40. So you've got a lot of versatility w/o having to spend the money to buy all those individual blades. You need guide combs if you want to keep a dog longer than the 9 blade, though.

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
I use this clipper. It works wonderfully, but IMO it is rather heavy.

This is the one I tried that I couldn't use.

The thing I don't like about the Wahls is that adjustable blade.

I like a clipper that I can put on the blade I want -- I use
7F, 10, 15, and 40 blades to do my dogs. I keep the 40 blade to be able to trim hair away from wounds or sore skin spots.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I had gotten a laube mini clipper years ago. I loved it as it was light weight, but it didn't last long and I never got it fixed. I use the Andis AG Super Two Speed - the ones that are burgundy colored. They have more of a square/rectangular shape to them instead of the round cylinder and I find it much easier to hold it in my hand. I have lots of problems with my hands, too. These work out real well for me.

A few years back, I tried a blue Andes that was rounder in shape, like the Oster. I used it once and couldnt' keep it in my hand, so I went back to my old standby.

I had started out with Oster, but I much prefer the Andis. The Andis are less maintenance than the oster, run quieter (which is a plus for puppies or skittish dogs) and just overall I have better control of the andis with my hands in the shape they are.

You might want to go to a Sally Beauty Supply or a dog show where you can see the clippers and hold them in your hand. But they are probably cheaper to order on line from dog vendors, than buying at Sally Beauty.

I have friends who swear by the Wahl clippers, but I've never held or used one.

I tried a cordless clipper, which was really nice, but they are heavier with the battery packs in them.

There might be something newer out there.

I normally get my blades and clippers from PetEdge.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I use this clipper. It works wonderfully, but IMO it is rather heavy.

I lurk on a professional grooming board and the Wahl Bravura gets rave reviews for its light weight and performance. Since it's a 5-in-1 blade you might need to get these stainless steel comb attachments for more versatility.

I've also seen some recommendations on that board for the Oster Volt. It doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as the Bravura, but it does have fans.

Probably any cordless clipper is going to be lighter than a corded model.

In case you want to poke around on that grooming forum and see what the pros have to say about different clippers, here's the link.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a cheap human haircut kit. Worked great for years!