Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog bed under RV bed?

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We camp with our two labs. We have a 30' travel trailer and the space can be limited. I tried searching this subject but it is hard to come up with the right keywords!

Since we don't store anything except for an electric blanket under our queen bed, I was thinking of making that area open and placing the dog beds under there. It seems I would only have to remove the wood paneling that skirts around under the bed and it would be completely accessible. I would probably reinforce the legs or replace them with something a little more substantial/attractive since the framing is only 2x2.

Has anyone done this, or, saw something like this completed? At home the dogs love to lay under the coffee table and it is about the same height. Seems like it may make sense.

Thanks!
Greg
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0
13 REPLIES 13

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCompanion wrote:
OMG. Precious. You are a good doggie-Daddy!

Haha, thanks!
Greg and J

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
OMG. Precious. You are a good doggie-Daddy!
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupé the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I do have a dinette booth. Right now the kennel is under the table. We rescued a Red Lab in July and he is still in the training phase. He just turned 2 so we are almost there.

Good point about the sofa. The entire front face and under the sofa is a large drawer. I Could just remove the drawer on a trial basis. I am just unsure how much space is there trying to judge from memory.

As far as under the bed, I will still leave the hinges in place so it can be lifted for any cleaning that would be required. Fortunately my central vac outlet is right near by.

Here they are. Ben and Charley.

Greg and J

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a dinette booth? I have seen the front of one of the benches with an opening cut and a little doggie space there. There was a pillow on the floor that they could curl up on. Under the bed ? BC Snob is right. They don't normally, but we have had an accident with a couple of sick dogs before they could get very far away from their bed. They might not make it out if they are in very far. Don't know if you have a sofa on a slide or not, but our sofa front leg panel slides off and the area under the sofa could be open, or a doorway cut in the panel ( would have to refinish edge of fabric).

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
so the puke I clean up in our bedroom on the dog bed in the middle of the night was a bad dream

I'll post a photo next time
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Keep in mind....
Any place your dog can access is a place you'll need to clean sometime in the future and I'm not just talking about vacuuming fur. I would make sure the surfaces will be easy to clean and the area easy for you to access. You might want to consider blocking off the space near the hinge on the lift up bed; I would not want to crawl into the short space under the bed near the hinge to wipe up pee, puke, etc.....

Dogs do not pee or puke where they sleep if they have an exit. So, if they like to sleep there it would work fine.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind....
Any place your dog can access is a place you'll need to clean sometime in the future and I'm not just talking about vacuuming fur. I would make sure the surfaces will be easy to clean and the area easy for you to access. You might want to consider blocking off the space near the hinge on the lift up bed; I would not want to crawl into the short space under the bed near the hinge to wipe up pee, puke, etc.....
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
gbopp wrote:
I'm sure it would work, if your Labs cooperate.

Our Chihuahua is kind enough to allow us to sleep in HER bed with her. 🙂

Fixed it for you. :B

Thanks, what was I thinking? :S

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Murphsmom wrote:
Could you set up something similar under the table?

Well, they feel they need to sleep in the bedroom or wherever we are, they like to be all in the same small space - haha. Also, we have a crate under the table for the puppy, for now. Hopefully he will grow out of it by next season.
Greg and J

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

Our Chihuahua is kind enough to allow us to sleep in HER bed with her. 🙂

Fixed it for you. :B
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

Our Chihuahua is kind enough to allow us to sleep in our bed with her. 🙂

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Could you set up something similar under the table?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea and should work great...our dog loves to sleep in a, "cave," like enclosure.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro