cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cats in a TT

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has taken their cats in a trailer? It would seem that they would certainly need to be in a carrier, tied down so that it doesn't slide around. What about temperature? My trailer gets pretty warm in the summer, but not life threatening. I've never hauled it with a window cracked. Wondering if that would be doable?

Ideas?

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

debrhardt
Explorer
Explorer
udicomo, yes, it is possible. we have taken allie cat on every trip for 6 years. a key is to start when young (8 weeks). we have a quad cab so her carrier is right behind us and after we have been going for a few minutes she wants to come out and sit between us. she mostly sleeps but occasionally will look outside. when we stop she will go into her carrier on her own. we have traveled up to 8 hours/day and trips 2-4 weeks. we always have the litter box and food available but she's never used the box while traveling and will eat very little. she owns the 26 foot trailer once she gets back there. and will come out on harness and leash when she wants to. keep window shades us and windows and doors open as much as possible for her to look out. she sleeps at our feet or between us, just like at home. good luck. let me know if you want any further info.

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
We always travel with our cat. She is old and gets very stressed when left alone even for a whole day. To be honest, I worried before our first trip, but if the most important things are taken into account beforehand, everything will be fine. So, I bought a water fountain and an automatic feeder for her. I should say, it eased the process and I didn't think about that being on the road. But one of the best ideas was to get a GPS tracker (I found a good list here https://www.catfoodpoint.com/best-cat-gps-tracker/). Usually, our cat doesn't go far from us, but still, she is a cat, everything is possible. And with a GPS tracker, I can always view her exact location.

Udicomo
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling with cats? Is it actually possible? I plan to get a cat soon but I really can't live without traveling.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are ever in an accident, that trailer will disintegrate on impact. They do not hold up well at all. No RV does. There is much more protection from harm in the truck with you as well as heat or air whichever is needed. There are different types of carriers, maybe another type would work better for in the truck.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been traveling with Cats for going on 20 years. When we had a TT and standard cab truck, we had a cap on the truck and installed a large cage right behind the cab so we could open the pass thru windows and talk to them.
With fifthwheels, we've had an extended cab and now crew cab. Cage or carrier behind front seat, would never leave them in the trailer.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Only concern I would have is the heat. In a crate secured in place, they may not be happy but they are in no great danger from the ride...but the heat...

If you ever saw an old WWII movie where the Japs would put people in a metal shed as punishment...yeah it's like that. Very easy even in relatively cool weather for the interior to get north of a 110-120F.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please don't ever leave animals or humans in trailers on the road.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If weather isn't an issue, depends on the cat. We had two ๐Ÿ˜ž that loved traveling in the TT. Were unhappy in the carrier in the truck with us.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long are your trips? We used to leave ours at home with lots of dry food, plenty of water, and very large litter box. The only downside(s) are it takes a bit of cleanup around the litter box, and that the cat bitched at us for a couple of hours upon return. But then after her say, she was back to her normal self.

I would not advise putting a live animal or human in the TT in Florida while towing. It canโ€™t be a smooth ride, dangerous, and too danged hot.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Life threatening temps for dogs and cats is different than for people. 80+ in some situations can lead to hyperthermia.

Doug, DVM

Didn't know that, thanks.

dturm
Life threatening temps for dogs and cats is different than for people. 80+ in some situations can lead to hyperthermia.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Felines are a bit more high maintenance as travelers, at least ours was. She rode in her carrier in the truck. Once we arrived and set up, she would make herself invisible for about 36 hours before returning to "normal"....for her anyway.

Yeah, my truck is a standard cab, carrier won't work in the cab.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Felines are a bit more high maintenance as travelers, at least ours was. She rode in her carrier in the truck. Once we arrived and set up, she would make herself invisible for about 36 hours before returning to "normal"....for her anyway.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Don't travel with any animal in the TT. The movement and heat will make a very uncomfortable ride. Put them in a carrier in the vehicle with you or leave them home.