cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

burried in dog hair HELP

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
OK here RV community, this is the most resourceful bunch of people I have ever come across. I need to do something about the dog hair. I swear I have no idea how this dog even has any hair but it just keeps coming. Has anyone ever found any way to control shedding? I bet I could stuff a small pillow every month when I clean around his cage that he very rarely even goes into anymore. I have never seen so much dog hair in all my life.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS
20 REPLIES 20

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Rottweiler and she shed a lot. I also have had various "short haired" dogs and they all shed. Our Rat Terrier, shed more than usual and was missing patches of hair and itching. I started giving her Coconut Cream and it has stopped and her hair grew back. She needed the extra fat and she loves the taste.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A side note. Animal people wear a lot of canvas clothing. It does not attract and retain dog hair like fleece and wool sweaters. I learned this from hanging around horse and mule people.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Allergies made our dog shed terribly until she had almost no hair and her general health was affected. Please see a vet if there is any sign of itching, scaling on the skin, licking and chewing of any area along with the hair loss.

X2. Jesse had constant skin infections caused by allergies which thinned out his fur considerably. If the shedding seems abnormal and there are any of the above symptoms definitely get him checked.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allergies made our dog shed terribly until she had almost no hair and her general health was affected. Please see a vet if there is any sign of itching, scaling on the skin, licking and chewing of any area along with the hair loss.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Even if she did, after 30 years she would just shake her head anyway.

LOL-as would my husband!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Furminator and Roomba.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:

Your wife doesn't read this, does she??? :B

Nope. Even if she did, after 30 years she would just shake her head anyway.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I have gotten tto where I just roll out a pad on the floor and sleep on the floor with him rather than listen to the wife complain. He is a better cuddler anyway, and snores less.

Your wife doesn't read this, does she??? :B

Douglas Adams

dturm
I'd recommend a fatty acid/omega oil supplement. There are many made specifically for dogs that have Omega oils plus vitamins, but a human fish oil product should be sufficient.

On edit and further thought: The next time you get your dog in to your vet, I'd recommend a thyroid blood check as well. (breed incidence of hypothyroid is higher in this breed and is often associated with skin/hair issues)

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Wow the response is way more than I expected. People really love their dogs. Thats for sure. Someone asked what breed. He is a Rottweiler. This is actually our second one and my last one had the same shedding problem so I am guessing it is a breed thing but I am just getting tired of getting yelled at because he jumped on the bed. All he has to do is jump on the bed and roll around for a second and the bed is just black with hair. It dont bother me a bit. I have gotten tto where I just roll out a pad on the floor and sleep on the floor with him rather than listen to the wife complain. He is a better cuddler anyway, and snores less.

I do have a furminator and use it in the morning before we go for our walk and usually right after supper at night and it helps a bit but the hair just keepas coming. I did notice that he has developed 3 hot spots in the past couple weeks but the hair has been coming long before this. His daily food is purina dog chow with real beef, and he also shares whatever snacks I decide to have on any given night. He usually gets more of my snack then I do. LOL
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes on the Furminator, and there is one for every size of dog. To cut down on shedding (won't eliminate it completely), brush often. Very often.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sign of a happy family.
You can brush them, use a roller on your clothes and vacuum a lot.
At some point you just have to accept some dog hair.
I do not apologize for it.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The furminator also does a good job removing dried mud (and “organic” fertilizer:E) from our dogs’ fur reducing the dust levels in the house.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'm another vote for the Furminator. My Cattle Dog shed copious amounts of fur 365 days/yr. Regular combing with the Furminator comb helped immensely (and I would put the balls of removed fur in our pine tree - every baby bird in the neighborhood had a nice fur-lined nest....LOL!)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!