cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A sense of guilt

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Did not want to add this to my other post but is related. I adopted a Collie pup. My sense of guilt comes from passing on a nine year old Collie that needed a home for the pup. I have had three older Collies pass in the last three year's. One 16, one 14, and one from a brain tumor at 10. I have a sense of guilt for doing this.
12 REPLIES 12

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Losing a beloved pet always hurts - but I think most of us understand the heart-crushing pain of losing a "soulmate". And while we're still healing from that kind of loss - we might want to protect what's left of our heart by not adopting one we know won't be with us very long. That's OK - someone else with a healed heart surely will find a home for the senior pet.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frequently the Dog you are feeling guilty about is the one who is Running free at the Rainbow Bridge not the one of your Desire. They can also be one in the same. The psychology of adopting is generally put on the back burner once you first lay eyes on the adoptee....heck, my wife and I, feel both fortunate and unfortunate that our county only allows four dogs per household otherwise we would be known as the "Crazy Cat person with Dogs"!! :B:B
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Sorry. My point wasn't about senior vs puppy. It was about adopting out of guilt rather than adopting out of desire. Don't adopt the dog you feel guilty about. Adopt the dog you desire.
I didn't take offense, I was actually on the fence when deciding. I plan on some extensive RV trips that I put on hold because of Mikko's health. That's why I went with the pup. At 9 years the senior could have several good years ahead. If not I would have delt with it with no regrets. I would never criticize a person that was involved in rescue, I imagine you have seen it all and speak from experience.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry. My point wasn't about senior vs puppy. It was about adopting out of guilt rather than adopting out of desire. Don't adopt the dog you feel guilty about. Adopt the dog you desire.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had a Collie I didn't like and most were adults/seniors when I adopted them. I'm fully aware of what I would be getting into. It worked out that actually two different people wanted the senior. Actually the pup is out of the norm for me.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a previous foster home, private rescue, and dog owner, don't adopt out of guilt - EVER.

I have learned over the years that taking in an animal out of guilt is a disaster. You often end up with a pet that doesn't fit your life, personality, etc. But, because you CAN feel guilt, you also feel a responsibility for that animal you took in. So you end up spending years with a pet you really don't like.

And nowadays, many people adopt older dogs. So, it's OK to adopt that puppy if you really want it.

Over the years, I have adopted dogs who happened to come into my life. They have mostly been older dogs with issues. When I adopted Moose-dog, he was 8 weeks old. I just really wanted a puppy and to raise it my way. I will never regret it!

Him the day I got him:

Him as an adult (with his sister):
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its odd how Dog people feel about guilt! If you have been following my latest adoptions over the past several months, you know that we adopted a brother and sister pair who were 13 years old(that was in August). The Brother passed away suddenly 4 weeks ago now. Then all of a sudden another 12 year old became available 2 weeks ago and we felt as though that maybe we should not adopt so soon after losing our precious "Elvis" and then on the other hand, its a 12 year old that needs a Home(forever)โ€ฆ "Potter" our latest adoptee fits right in with our other 3 adoptee's. WE, as a group here, LOVE our doggies!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you for inquiring, but IMO you shouldn't feel guilty. I'm a huge (HUGE) believer in rescue and adoption. I've spent a lot of time fostering and volunteering in rescue in other ways over the years. But our current dog was acquired as a puppy from a breeder. Why? Because at the time we got him that was the right choice for us for several reasons. Don't feel guilty for doing what is right for you.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
I inquired this morning, I was willing to give him a home as well if needed.

๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I inquired this morning, I was willing to give him a home as well if needed.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
I am happy for the older dog, and I am happy for you and the puppy. Win win.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
No more guilt, the 9 year old Collie has two people who want to adopt.