cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for new adventures...

jmcelvoy
Explorer
Explorer
We've recently upgraded from a Pop-Up Camper to a Travel Trailer and plan on traveling a bit further from home to see some of the states. We're in southwest Missouri and I'm trying to find camping/RV parks that offer nearby drive through wildlife views, hiking/biking trails (for adults and kids), wifi so I can work while camping, pool or family activities, and would like to be within 10-12 hours of home. How can I find destinations that fit what we're looking for? I currently don't know enough to ask better questions so please share any links or suggestions you might have.
5 REPLIES 5

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
A few ideas for you... Elephant Rocks State Park, MO; Johnson Shut-ins, MO; Land Between the Lakes, KY; Shawnee National Forest, IL; Sam A Baker State Park, MO; and then you always have Lake of the Ozarks.

Actually about any state park in MO that we have visited, we've enjoyed.

Doug

edit - sorry, the only one of these that have drive-thru wildlife would be LBL.
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a national wildlife refuge locator page, maybe you'll see something that sounds good. https://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugeLocatorMaps/index.html Then look for campgrounds with wifi (checkmark the search box) in the area of the refuge in the GS CG Directory CG search. And you might find other points of interest on Google Maps. Stuff like, for example, Minnesota's largest candy store is not too far from the MN Valley NWR.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Finding reliable fast WiFi at campgrounds is...well, pretty rare. Most who need reliable connectivity use their own cellular hotspot. Of course, there are some very nice areas for hiking etc. that are outside of good cellular coverage, in which case you're rather out of luck on that front (satellite internet aside).

The general area of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (Asheville, NC; Pigeon Forge, TN; etc.) might be one area to consider; you've got at least most things on your list not too far away and some very lovely countryside as well.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You could look for something in the St. Louis area. There is a great zoo there, and lots of other good stuff to do--the Arch, ball games, etc.

There is also the Tennessee Safari Park in west TN. Don't know how far that is for you.

You have a lot of opportunities in the Ozark National Forest, which is a beautiful area. I would encourage you to move into more rustic camping, or at least in areas where there are a lot of basic outdoor activities like hiking and nature activities. That's a wonderful gift to give your kids.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
KOA and Good Sam private campgrounds for the pool, family activities, wifi (but really best to supply your own, for example your phone hot spot), full hook-ups.

Then visit (drive in) nearby state parks for the hiking and wildlife stuff.

We purchase the Indiana DNR season pass which gives us access into the Indiana State Parks and Recreation areas with no additional costs. Camping, of course has it's own fees. But if we are in a private campground, we can always visit a nearby state park or recreation area. Several state parks in Indiana offer horseback riding and almost all of them have trails and nature walks.

I doubt you find everything on your list at very many single locations, if any at all.