cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Central PA/Hershey Area

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to my RV'ing friends for assistance in finding a campground and things to do in Central PA over Memorial Day weekend.

I have searched the forum and only found information on camping near Hershey Park, but we don't want to be limited to a single day at an Amusement Park for things to do.

Are there any other suggestions? There will be two RV'ing family -- mine and our friends who have two younger girls (8 & 6). So in total two families with kids.

We love to be outside, camp, do fun things at the Campground, but also want to do things that are enriching to the children -- cultural and entertaining would be nice. We are just looking for things to do BESIDES an amusement park. Is it around Central PA/Hershey?

Thank you in advance.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!
16 REPLIES 16

mo985
Explorer
Explorer
We were just at hershey high meadow this passed weekend. We had a site right on the upper playground. Yes there are trains, more like every hour or so, but just the diesel sound and clacking, not too loud. I slept perfectly fine, DW on the other hand, she can hear a fly cough in the basement. I found the cg to be nice, and the kids have fun. We live in Harrisburg so we didn't travel out to do anything else. It seems that most everything has been mentioned, although don't forget about the "farm show complex" they always have stuff going on!

Enjoy your visit!
Me, the Wife, two kids and a dog
2006 Dodge Durango 4.6L V8, AirLift 1000# bags.
2013 Coleman CTS18BH

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Rainy...great tundown. Thank you.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

'09 Rockwood 8313SS

rainy029
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Central Pa. Basically smack dab in the middle of where you are going.

Hershey - It takes all day to do Hersheypark. The park is huge with alot of rides. Plus lines are very long sometimes. But they do have a very nice waterpark inside Hersheypark for kids of that age. Also on the grounds is the Giant Center, Choc World, Hersheypark Stadium and Zoo America. Check for activities in them also. Choc World and Zoo America is a must for kids. There is a campground right close to the Park. I believe they shuttle to the park also. Oh, Indian Echo Caverns is close to Hershey also. That is cool to see.

Gettysburg - Gettysburg has tons of campgrounds. Our favorite is Drummer Boy Campground. The stuffed animal place that was mentioned earlier closed it's doors in 2010. You can drive thru the battlefield and let the kids explore Devils Den, Little Roundtop and the Peace Light. There are also Ghost tours, Museums, Gettysburg Harley Davison, Land of the Little Horses, Horseback riding tours, the National Cemetery, Visitor Center, and the Explore & More Children's Museum.

Lancaster- Amish country also has alot of Campgrounds. I believe there is a KOA over there. For young kids, Dutch Wonderland is a better option than Hersheypark. There is also Strasburg Railroad and a National Train Museum close by. (I know they advertise Thomas the Tank Train at different times on TV being over there) But you can ride the old steam train at the railroad. Turkey Hill Experience is over there also.

There is also outlet shopping in Lancaster and Gettysburg. The
Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire is in the fall or late summer.

Personally I would find a campground in Gettysburg or Lancaster. Check out (all in Gettsyburg) Granite Hill Camping Resort, Gettysburg KOA, Artillery Ridge, Drummer Boy, Gettysburg Battlefield Resort, or Roundtop Campground. I don't know Lancaster as well as Gettysburg (I hate the roads and traffic over there)but you got Old
Mill Stream Campground (at Dutch wonderland) I hear good things about all of them. Granite Hill is well known for its Summer Concert Series. Also don't forget we are only about 1 and 1/2 hour from Baltimore. And there is the National Aquarium, Inner Harbor, The Historical Ships, and the Science Center.

There is a Thousand Trails(use to be Outdoor World)Campground about 5 minutes from me. It is in the middle of nowhere, but all these places are 30-45 minutes away. It is a membership campground, but non-members can camp also if sites are still open. Alot of ppl go there also.
1992 25ft Chataeu
2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1L

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
That you for all the great suggestions -- we are still trying to "figure out" what we want to do.

The idea of trying to "relax" with a VERY ACTIVE rail road line running beside the CG is not very appealing!

'09 Rockwood 8313SS

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Have been to Hershey area many times, but not with our RV. Have looked around Hershey Highmeadow CG to check suitability for our RV, but remain uncertain. The points about the RR are on-target. It is very busy and noisy. After a full day of amusement park, I would like un-interrupted sleep. The up-side is that since Hershey owns it, they provide free transport via bus to Hershey Park. That saves $ and the hassle of a long walk (usually) from parking to park entrance.

One place that I did not see mentioned that would be great for kids, is a very large teddy-bear place near Gettysburg. I'm sorry that I don't remember the name, but you will likely find ads for it near central PA. It's about 45 min to an hour south of Harrisburg.

There is a nice, small community about 5 min East of Highmeadow CG, called Hummelstown. There is a nice pharmacy/gift shop with all sorts of trinkets, a very nice toy store in town, and a great diner that offers decent meals at a good price. The down side is that there is not much room to park an RV.

Best wishes for a safe trip to PA.

Bob

cdar
Explorer
Explorer
@sez hoo. Yup, been there done that. That's along the back. The rest of high meadow is far enough away from the train line. You hear it but don't feel it...as bad.

Pocano area has some great PA state CGs as well. Close enough to the Delaware River up north or east.
'08 Dodge Durango Ltd
'07 Outback 21RS
Reese Dual Cam, Prodigy

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Its been some years ago but I stayed at a campground in Hershey. The campground advertisement said it was near active Railroad tracks. They should have said it was ON active RR tracks. The site I was on could not have been more than 100ft from some High Speed Freight train tracks. They ran all night long and it seamed that it was about every 30 min. The first time I heard it I thought I was sitting on the tracks, the noise and ground vibrations were horrible. Never again.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

scottew71
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to hershey this summer also. We already booked a site at Hershey park based on recommendations from friends. We have a 6year old daughter and they said the campground has a lot of activities for the kids. I have been looking for things other than Hershey to do I found Steamtown national historic site which has steam train ride and zoo America wildlife park,
Scott, Betty,Natalie(DD). Rachel (dog). 2016 Aerolite 292 DBHS 2012 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost Max Tow

bc_hill
Explorer
Explorer
You should check out Lake in Wood campground.It is listed under Narvon Pa.The campground has lots of activities for kids.It could be a destination campground but close enough to take in all the attractions.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
If you have young kids, look at Dutch Wonderland, about 30 minutes away from Hershey. We took our children last year and camped at Highmeadow. It was so much fun and we did the amusement park one evening and then a full day. Great fun.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at Pinch Pond in Manhiem was easy drive to both Hershey and Lancaster.

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
That is why this forum is a great resource...thank you for the information. And will try to get into Yuengling Brewery as it is open to kids of ALL AGES ๐Ÿ˜‰

'09 Rockwood 8313SS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Three Mile Island south of Harrisburg.

The Rockville Bridge, just north of Harrisburg, the longest stone arch bridge in the world.

Gettysburg

City Island Harrisburg. You can also bicycle along the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg.

I know you will have the kids along but, if you can get away or come back to the area in the future go see the Yuengling Brewery. Even if you don't care for beer, it's a very interesting tour of America's Oldest Brewery.

The Pennsylvania State Museum in Harrisburg

The Millersburg Ferry north of Harrisburg

Twin Grove Campground north of Harrisburg along I-81

LIckdale Campground north of Harrisburg along I-81

Hershey Park Camping Resort, formerly Hershey Highmeadow Campground. But, it's near Hershey Park.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Johnworth914 wrote:
Close to Lancaster and Shopping at the Big outlets at Reading..

The PA Renaissance Fair is right down the road.

Its been a few years since I have gone, but pretty sure that the Ren Faire is not open until early fall...

Edit...it starts Aug 2 this year thru end of October.