cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yeti or Pelican

Jimfromvirginia
Explorer
Explorer
Read some reviews on here and agree the Yeti is an awesome cooler, However I keep hearing of other coolers, like the Pelican for example, that perform as nicely, but a less cost. I am curious if anyone has seen or done comparisons. Gonna by a nice cooler and just trying to save some money. Any other brand recommendations appreciated.
2012 Keystone Montana 3455SA towed by 2009 Ford F450 4x4 Diesel
24 REPLIES 24

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Too many off-topic posts.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Johnny_H wrote:
...it is made in Texas and not China as with Yeti and the others.

Not sure where you get your information from:

***Link Removed***

"Our coolers are manufactured in the USA at facilities located in Iowa and Wisconsin as well as at a facility located in the Philippines."

of all the coolers listed in my above link, only Yeti has a mfg plant outside of the USA and has the shortest warranty at 5 years.

All the others, ORCA, Canyon Cooler, Pelican & Grizzly are 100% American made and have a lifetime warranty.

Another thing to consider it that all of these are bear proof. When we were in Colorado a couple of years ago camping in bear country, the park ranger made me put everything back in the truck and lock it up with the exception of my Pelican. We were even advised not to keep food in the pop-up camper so as not to take a change on luring one into the campground.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny_H wrote:
...it is made in Texas and not China as with Yeti and the others.

Not sure where you get your information from:

***Link Removed***

"Our coolers are manufactured in the USA at facilities located in Iowa and Wisconsin as well as at a facility located in the Philippines."
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
cooler review

I have the big Pelican and have been happy with the results so far. I got 3 1/2 days this summer out of the cooler in August in Austin Texas (100 deg temps) with it sitting in direct sunlight and being used as the primary cooler with three boys digging in it multiple times during the day.

I think that if it was in shade, filled with more ice and only opened a couple times a day, then five days +/- a few hours would be more realistic...in the Texas summer.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Sam's club carries a Coleman or igloo? knock off. don't see any engineering miracles in a cooler myself. get a cheap Igloo and glue some extra sheets of insulation board on the sides. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

The Igloo "Sportsman" from Sam's is the same design concept as the Yeti, keeps ice for days, tough as nails,cheaper and most of all it is made in Texas and not China as with Yeti and the others.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
One can buy a lot of ice for a cheaper Coleman than for a $400 premium priced cooler. Unless you are going to be out in the wilds of the earth and not near a convienance store to buy ice every 3-4 days, I don't see why the average person needs something like this.

The average person doesn't need them & they probably aren't the folks that buy them. Spend some time on Lake Powell in the summer buying ice at Dangling Rope :E & suddenly a good ice chest makes sense at any cost.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:

Always love the silly tests that don't take into account real world application. Put those coolers in the sun, on the boat, sloshing around all day in the bed of a truck, and that's your test criteria. There's more to a cooler than just how well it holds ice sitting stationary on a table being opened once every 4 days LOL

well I got bored and didn't even make it thru the introductions so can't comment on test criteria but I noticed that the yeti lookalike at Sam's club coleman or igloo??? wasn't representative of those in the test, and the igloo marine I didn't think that that was a High end unit.
But I do NOT think that you need real world applications to test and compare their ability to protect/keep stuff cold. as long as all coolers are tested in exactly the same manner I fail to see what that is not a valid comparison.
bumpy

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Coleman Extreme 5 day at Walmart for about $45.
Keeps a block of ice for 4-5 days with opening few --5-7-- times per day.
Just got some cheap movers blankets at Harbor Freight to wrap it in as exterior insulation. I expect it to keep the ice longer.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours when we are a few days out and nowhere near a place to get more ice. I have also transported frozen meat to give to family. Not everyone is sitting in an rv park on wifi with ice nearby.

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
We've always like the Norcross soft side coolers.
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Bowfreak wrote:
Good write up. Those reason are the reason we decided to sell Grizzly instead of Yeti...

Well, actually Yeti hasn't taken on new dealers in almost 2 years because they're so backed up with their current dealers. I know people that are high-volume types, but are still on the waiting list. That helps out companies like Grizzly, Engle, and the others.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Good write up. Those reason are the reason we decided to sell Grizzly instead of Yeti. Cost less, built almost identical and is more accurate on size. You can fill a 40 Grizzly up with water and then dump the water into the Yeti from the Grizzly and you will have water running out of the Yeti even though it's supposed to be 5 qts bigger. Our customers have been very happy with them.

CommuterCruiser wrote:
We did a comparison and bought a Grizzly. Here are the posts on my blog concerning the comparison. However, if you don't pre-cool the expensive coolers, you won't get much better life than a cheapo cooler. Just be sure you understand what you're getting before you spend the extra money.

Premium Coolers, Engel vs Yeti vs Yukon vs Grizzly

Also - Revisited After 6 Months ...

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I took my Coleman cooler and and had some reflectix left over from my pop up days, I made a cover using aluminum tape at the joints, it keeps the items cold for abut 5 days on a canoe trip. I use frozen bottle of water and tea and usually have some ice left when I return home.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We did a comparison and bought a Grizzly. Here are the posts on my blog concerning the comparison. However, if you don't pre-cool the expensive coolers, you won't get much better life than a cheapo cooler. Just be sure you understand what you're getting before you spend the extra money.

Premium Coolers, Engel vs Yeti vs Yukon vs Grizzly

Also - Revisited After 6 Months ...
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net