cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yamaha EF1000iS Genset

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I've previously owned 2 Honda EU2000i gensets, each purchased used, primarily as back up for those times each season we inevitably lose shore power while camping and may want / need to recharge the battery. Eventually I sold each one for what I had paid due to lack of use ... that and the fact I found hefting a 50+ lb genset in & out of the truck, then rarely using it, got old really quickly. ๐Ÿ˜ž The one time we lost power for 36 hrs and could have really used it the genset was sitting back in my workshop. :S However, an opportunity has presented itself where I can buy a 2 yr old, lightly used Yamaha EF1000iS for the equivalent of ~ $500 USD, about half of what a new one would cost here in Canada. At 30 lbs it sure would be a lot easier to throw into the truck as back up for camping and although it doesn't happen often I could also use it to run my furnace those couple of times each winter we lose power here at the house. I could also alternately power the kitchen fridge to avoid food loss during the hot summer months. My question for those who own a 1000 watt inverter genset - is a 1K genset small / light enough that you find you really do drag it around with you camping and 2) do you find other uses for it? Any comments appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380
33 REPLIES 33

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
You want to borrow mine to give it a shot PM me. I can tell you though without any doubt it does not have the grunt to turn over a furnace motor. It might/maybe keep it running but it will not start it.

SoundGuy wrote:
Thanks for the offer Shum but that's pretty definitive - a 1K just isn't going to cut it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We'll have to catch up sometime around a campfire again! :B

shum02 wrote:
Heading up to Mac this weekend for New Years, come on, drag the rig out for some winter fun :B Only a metre of snow or so has fallen in the area!

Ha, WAY too cold for me! :E I remember doing that once at Mac a few years ago with one of our mutual friends who was participating in their winter camping program. Sorry, but standing around a campfire when it's -22C doesn't appeal at all, I was thinking more like July! :B

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
shum02 wrote:
You want to borrow mine to give it a shot PM me. I can tell you though without any doubt it does not have the grunt to turn over a furnace motor. It might/maybe keep it running but it will not start it.

Thanks for the offer Shum but that's pretty definitive - a 1K just isn't going to cut it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Heading up to Mac this weekend for New Years, come on, drag the rig out for some winter fun :B Only a metre of snow or so has fallen in the area!
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
You do need to specify the location if you wish others to help you. But clearly you don't wish for that assistance.

In my original post I was asking for commentary on the Yamaha EF1000iS. I do appreciate the replies but at no time did I ask where I could rent one as I know from doing my own search there just isn't anyone nearby that rents an EF1000iS so this simple solution isn't as simple as it would seem. :R

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

Yes for a residence--not for an RV.

pnichols wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
1000 va may not be enough to run the furnace.

Don ... I guess maybe I'm a bit slow around the holidays, but ... what are you referring to here? Did you mean a stick house gas furnace during power outages?

As for an RV furnace - their coach fan systems usually only draw 5-8 amps of DC power (according to these forum discussions) - which translates into less than around 100 watts.

My little EX650 Honda suitcase generator will easily power the RV's propane furnace fan (and the furnace's ignition circuit) or the RV's air conditioning distributed duct fan (of course with the A/C's compressor turned off).

:h
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
You do need to specify the location if you wish others to help you. But clearly you don't wish for that assistance.

In my original post I was asking for commentary on the Yamaha EF1000iS. I do appreciate the replies but at no time did I ask where I could rent one as I know from doing my own search there just isn't anyone nearby that rents an EF1000iS so this simple solution isn't as simple as it would seem. :R

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

pnichols wrote:
Did you mean a stick house gas furnace during power outages?

Yeah, that's what we're talking about - running the stick house furnace in a case when power is lost.

We normally camp on electric sites so the only time I'd use a genset while camping is when we might lose shore power, run on battery until power is restored (which in one case was 36 hrs), and would like to have a means of recharging the battery. The weight of a 1K genset is better for me than a 2K but because I'd use it so seldom I'd really also like to being able to use it to power the stick house furnace in case of emergency. Problem is, according to my Kill-a-Watt my house furnace draws ~ 460 watts but it's VA is ~ 751 VA because it's PF is just 0.61. I know an EU2000i will handle this load (because I've tried it) but I question whether an EF1000iS would, considering this warning in the EF1000iS owner's manual.

Ergo, the reason for doing a test first before buying. ๐Ÿ˜‰

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

Don ... I guess maybe I'm a bit slow around the holidays, but ... what are you referring to here? Did you mean a stick house gas furnace during power outages?

As for an RV furnace - their coach fan systems usually only draw 5-8 amps of DC power (according to these forum discussions) - which translates into less than around 100 watts.

My little EX650 Honda suitcase generator will easily power the RV's propane furnace fan (and the furnace's ignition circuit) or the RV's air conditioning distributed duct fan (of course with the A/C's compressor turned off).

:h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
While it is not a Yamaha I bought a Sportsman 1000i from Amazon on cyber monday for $200 and free shipping. Only wanted it for charging the trailer batteries and it works great for that. Charger goes into bulk mode and it has a little bit left. Won't run the AC or microwave but for $200 it is a great little Genny and when the charger goes to absorption mode the thing throttles down quite a bit and is pretty quiet. Also only weighs 18 pounds.

Would I prefer a Honda or Yamaha? Definitely, and if I get a bigger one to run AC I probably would, but for battery charging? No need.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You do need to specify the location if you wish others to help you. But clearly you don't wish for that assistance. BTW I lived in Toronto for many years. -30-

SoundGuy wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Then you need to be more specific that S Ontario for your location.

No I don't, I know where I am and I've already done a search in my local area for possibilities ... there aren't any. That aside, doesn't matter where I am, one would have to be nuts to drive through that kind of traffic just to pick up & return a rental genset. May not mean much to you but anyone who ever has to challenge traffic anywhere in and around the GTA would understand completely. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

No I don't, I know where I am and I've already done a search in my local area for possibilities ... there aren't any. That aside, doesn't matter where I am, one would have to be nuts to drive through that kind of traffic just to pick up & return a rental genset. May not mean much to you but anyone who ever has to challenge traffic anywhere in and around the GTA would understand completely. ๐Ÿ˜ž

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
first google attempt:

http://www.sportrentals.ca/Portable-Generators-Rental-Toronto.html

Thanks for your "first attempt" link but Vaughn is hardly "around here". :R No way I'm driving an hour thru Tranna traffic, pay $100 to rent a Honda EU1000i for a day, then have to drive back again just to return it, which according to Google Maps means 320 km of driving. :E "Around here" means 5 or 10 minutes from my house and NO ONE "around here" rents a Yamaha EF1000iS. ๐Ÿ˜ž Aside from that, no sense renting a Honda for test purposes when it's a Yamaha we're talking about. As I said, easy to say, tough to do. ๐Ÿ˜‰

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
first google attempt:

http://www.sportrentals.ca/Portable-Generators-Rental-Toronto.html

SoundGuy wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Rent one.

Easy to say, tough to do - I don't know of any place around here that would rent an EF1000iS ... any rentals are either large open frame construction site gensets or at best 3000 watt inverter gensets. Just not worth it for anyone to rent a dinky 1000 watt genset.
Regards, Don