cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wobbly Dinette Table? Here's why ...

hausfrau
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer has a u-shape dinette slide-out. Wonderful idea, and we love the space, but after only 3 outings, the table is so wobbly, we can't use it. The single pedestal leg uses the typical cone-shape bases for the crimped-end leg. A close-up photo of the cone insert shows how the metal has fractured, making it unstable. The leg wobbles like crazy, both at the floor and at the table top. I've asked the manufacturer for a replacement. Here's the photo:

Photo of cone base for dinette table leg
14 REPLIES 14

mikedboyd
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone switched their dinettes to use this type of leg? It looks to be a lot sturdier than the 'pound it in harder' post legs we have now. I just got a replacement floor flange as I broke the one I had (1 of 2) by 'pounding it in harder'.

Posts made for boats

Mike & Tracy Boyd

2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Travel Trailer - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison

Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
1996 Jayco 1208KB Popup
then from a 2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
I think the problem with shaky tables that have two legs comes from the fact that the bases on the floor are not exactly lined up with the bases on the table. what I mean is they may be a little wider or farther apart on the floor than on the table, or the other way around. then in an attempt to get the table to not wobble we tend to whomp the table harder and harder each time it wobbles in an attempt to tighten the table driving the two taper legs that are out of alignment deeper till we crack the bases.
when I removed my dinette and made new tables I just used one leg and it work's better for me, I think because there is no alignment problems.

Camper_Mama_Bea
Explorer
Explorer
ours cracked as well after about a year. we took the table out and put a regular 4 legged kitchen table in.
Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Joy, I believe I understand now.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Joy
Explorer
Explorer
FJ12rider: If I remember correctly, I ordered the new base from Rockler. It was chrome finished - has a base w/4 feet and a plate at the top which is bolted to the underside of the table top making it a free-standing table. Formerly, the table top was attached to the wall and hinged down to form a bed with the bench seats. Removed the benches, put pedestal on table top after removing the wall hardware and then used 2 freestanding chairs.
See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

JayWalker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Our table has two pedestals and it wobbled at first.
What you have to do it line it up nice and tight and womp down real hard on the table top exactly over the pedestal. It won't wobble anymore.

That doesn't work when the inner workings of it is cracked. Trust me, i've tried.

It needs to be replaced as once they crack, rarely do they get sturdy again. Yours obviously was not broken, just not in the grooves properly.
And you need to be careful as that "womp down real hard" is going to crack that cheap metal easily.

JayWalker2009
Explorer
Explorer
hausfrau wrote:
My new trailer has a u-shape dinette slide-out. Wonderful idea, and we love the space, but after only 3 outings, the table is so wobbly, we can't use it. The single pedestal leg uses the typical cone-shape bases for the crimped-end leg. A close-up photo of the cone insert shows how the metal has fractured, making it unstable. The leg wobbles like crazy, both at the floor and at the table top. I've asked the manufacturer for a replacement. Here's the photo:

Photo of cone base for dinette table leg

I have the dual flush base legs on mine and they also cracked. I haven't bought it yet but plan on replacing it with a drop down hinge and pedestal that folds up under the table when making a bed. I have no clue why they put those stupid cone based legs or flush legs on the dinettes because they crack very easy, and you are left with one or two big bulky metal tubes to store. My old camper had the hinge that drops down and swing out leg - MUCH easier and it never broke.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all might check in the sport fishing catalogues, sport fishing boats use similar types of seat mounts for their fighting chairs and other seats in the boat, the difference is they're made out of stainless steel.
Steve

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
What you have to do it line it up nice and tight and womp down real hard on the table top exactly over the pedestal. It won't wobble anymore.

Our living room table has the flush mount pedestal bases and I'm think that doing what you're suggesting led to the early demise of our pot-metal base. We usually give it a couple of hits over the table legs to set it in place. That metal is really weak, and the bottom came completely off the flange. If the floor had been open to the ground it would have fallen completely out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
my dinette table also has the potmetal hinge. It bent on the first camping trip
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joy wrote:
You might consider buying and mounting a single pedestal base on it instead. I did that on the dinette booth arrangement we had in the other MH - worked just fine. Cost about $150.

Could you expound on this a bit? What kind of single pedestal base?

TIA.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Joy
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider buying and mounting a single pedestal base on it instead. I did that on the dinette booth arrangement we had in the other MH - worked just fine. Cost about $150.
See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No photo, but I just had to replace ours also. Ours was the flush fit pedestal base. I bought 2 while I was at, since it is just made of cheap pot-metal.

We got ours from PPL Motorhomes
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"