cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

With the Internet how do you plan you trip?

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
In the old days, you could break out you Rand McNally or you AAA maps and plan a trip. Obviously, this is still an option.

Years ago I had a Microsoft application, Trips and Streets, that was a pretty good tool.

Now although I have Google maps on my iPad, it is really not much of a planning tool. I guess I'm looking for an app that lets me start with a map of the US, decide where I want to go, then zero in on areas for more detailed route planning.

What are you using?
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
32 REPLIES 32

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Goodsam trip planner first to get an idea of routes as well as overnight stays. Check my fuel stops. Verify fuel stops with Trucker and RV app as well as next exit.

I make my reservation fro my destination point when we decide to leave. The overnight stops I make one day in advance. I usually have several CG listed in the area in case one is booked. When we stop for the day I make my next nights reservation. We do not hurry to get anywhere so we only drive about 350 miles a day give or take a few.

I compare routes via Goodsam and Map app on IPhone or IPad. Then I plug destinations into Rhand McNally GPS and compare that route. Goodsam and GPS are usually the same.

I also compare with to the Road Atlas we keep in the truck.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
As a man that as frequently had a job description that said "Navigator", I like both a plan and options. As our life no longer includes getting to work on Monday, we have more options.

If you are going to use on-line, use them, print them and put it all in a 3-ring binder. I use AAA and Trip Adviser both to find interesting places. No one has all of them. I have tried all I can find. Furkot.com comes close, but it does not seem to like rearrange fuel and EOD - or at least I haven't found out how to as yet.

For That Very Reason, the on-line trip planning is pretty useless. I have used them, but even years ago, we found that the plan was gone by the end of the third day. That was if we were lucky and/or found no worthwhile diversion. All of the on-line planning is great if you can carry the wire. (This is an ancient term for have internet access.) But still they are all missing important features.

The problem is simple. Both Streets and Trips and Street Atlas could give you good approximations of both End of Day (so you can scourer your sources for an ONP) and suggest fuel stops. Both would easily recalculate based on new information. This way, you can avoid both having to EOD sooner because you messed up a reservation, losing a reservation because you found an interesting stop and stayed too long or you got advised that you next fuel stop would be in someplace expensive (thanks, GasBuddy).

Unfortunately it seems both S&T and SA have gone the way of all code. There is no replacement that I have found, but both can still be used for advanced planning. (I am currently working on a 7Kmi PCH tour.) And if we do this, we will do it the way we have for the last decade (give or take). I will lay out the plan and which ever is navigating will keep it up to date on the running laptop with SA15. That day's plan will have been transferred either by *.gpx or just important points to the driver's GPS. The smart phone will be running for traffic updates and GasBuddy when this can happen. There is a lot of area, particularly off the blue roads and west of the Mississippi where there is poor or no cell coverage let alone 3~4G data.

I am still hopeful that can happen, but I was just informed that California is risky. Both because an acquaintance was stopped by CHP and they demanded that he allow them to search his coach. They made it clear that as his coach was from out of state, they could detain him on the basis of both safety inspections and illegal transport (he is still trying to figure out what it is legal to transport within CA). I am a sport shooter and go to sanctioned events all along any typical route. (Often this drives the route.) None of the pieces I carry fit the California templates and all have magazines that are more than 5 round. Those magazines have all been hand fit to their piece to feed correctly. I am still waiting for confirmation that they have negated the federal "peaceable transit" rules, but it seems that they have. OH, Well.

Matt

The magazine load is no more than 10 rounds. Plugs or devices that change a higher capacity magazine to 10 rounds are also illegal. I believe the "reasoning" behind that facet is what was done to lower the capacity can easily be undone.

I've been retired for 11 years but I believe that any law enforcement officer needs your permission or articulated probable cause to detain you and search your vehicle. If the CHP said he could search your vehicle without your consent I'd ask politely for an explanation or his probable cause for such a search. The only other reason (and this is a long shot), if you failed to stop or the agriculture officer at a border agriculture saw something he thought was contraband (fruits and veggies).
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
glennestes wrote:
Doesn't anyone use the Good Sam trip planner? I find it to be a good starting point.

Don't you read the prior post before posting :h:S

I posted this for exactly the use you missed:R

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the All Stays app. I then go to Delorme Street Atlas as I can put in the start and finish then alter the route with the VIA feature. If anything needs a closer look I go to Google Earth. Sky view is usually about a year old or less, street level can be several years old.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
LarryJM wrote:
I use a combination of Good Sam, Flying J/Pilot, and KOA route planning (for detailed CG and fueling stops) all feeding and supplemented with Garmin BaseCamp with the final result loaded to my GPSs via BaseCamp. There is some learning curve to effectively using BaseCamp, but it's IMO a good final planning tool.

Larry

Pretty much the same here. I find Basecamp to be very helpful for the final route development.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As a man that as frequently had a job description that said "Navigator", I like both a plan and options. As our life no longer includes getting to work on Monday, we have more options.

If you are going to use on-line, use them, print them and put it all in a 3-ring binder. I use AAA and Trip Adviser both to find interesting places. No one has all of them. I have tried all I can find. Furkot.com comes close, but it does not seem to like rearrange fuel and EOD - or at least I haven't found out how to as yet.

For That Very Reason, the on-line trip planning is pretty useless. I have used them, but even years ago, we found that the plan was gone by the end of the third day. That was if we were lucky and/or found no worthwhile diversion. All of the on-line planning is great if you can carry the wire. (This is an ancient term for have internet access.) But still they are all missing important features.

The problem is simple. Both Streets and Trips and Street Atlas could give you good approximations of both End of Day (so you can scourer your sources for an ONP) and suggest fuel stops. Both would easily recalculate based on new information. This way, you can avoid both having to EOD sooner because you messed up a reservation, losing a reservation because you found an interesting stop and stayed too long or you got advised that you next fuel stop would be in someplace expensive (thanks, GasBuddy).

Unfortunately it seems both S&T and SA have gone the way of all code. There is no replacement that I have found, but both can still be used for advanced planning. (I am currently working on a 7Kmi PCH tour.) And if we do this, we will do it the way we have for the last decade (give or take). I will lay out the plan and which ever is navigating will keep it up to date on the running laptop with SA15. That day's plan will have been transferred either by *.gpx or just important points to the driver's GPS. The smart phone will be running for traffic updates and GasBuddy when this can happen. There is a lot of area, particularly off the blue roads and west of the Mississippi where there is poor or no cell coverage let alone 3~4G data.

I am still hopeful that can happen, but I was just informed that California is risky. Both because an acquaintance was stopped by CHP and they demanded that he allow them to search his coach. They made it clear that as his coach was from out of state, they could detain him on the basis of both safety inspections and illegal transport (he is still trying to figure out what it is legal to transport within CA). I am a sport shooter and go to sanctioned events all along any typical route. (Often this drives the route.) None of the pieces I carry fit the California templates and all have magazines that are more than 5 round. Those magazines have all been hand fit to their piece to feed correctly. I am still waiting for confirmation that they have negated the federal "peaceable transit" rules, but it seems that they have. OH, Well.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
jmcgsd wrote:
What I don't believe Google maps can do is to allow me to input conditions, I.e. Avoid Interstates. That was one of the features I loved in Trips & Streets. It's also easy with a paper planner.

I used Google maps this morning to plot a route from San Diego to Big Bend N.P. Sure it worked, and if I wanted to get there using the quickest route I'm certain the route would do that, but I can't easily see the alternates, and as I said, allow conditions to be set. I was hoping there was an app that supported that.

Guess not.

Have you tried clicking on OPTIONS, directly under the destination input area? When I tried it, a route from St. Louis, MO to Elkhart, IN. I took me on some interstate but mainly on secondary highways.
Just a thought.

Yep, that's one of the options in the directions window. I just did a trial from my home to Cody WY, and it did a squiggly route that never did a mile on a freeway, even though the normal route included both I-25 and I-80.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I start planning with Microsoft Streets & Trips.

The big reason is that most really good national park and USFS and many COE campgrounds do not have an internet connection.

One thing I've learned in over three years of full-timing - I CANNOT depend upon having internet or cell phone service.

I recently spend three weeks 12 miles from the beach in San Diego, CA - with no internet or cell phone coverage. (Both Verizon and ATT coverage maps show excellent service in that location - I guess they do, if we were to climb the hills above the CG in the valley floor. No roads so it would be a hike.)

Everytime we felt the need to connect - it was an 8 mile drive into town and occupy a table at a restaurant for a couple hours. Or a four mile drive and park alongside the road to make a cell phone voice call.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

glennestes
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't anyone use the Good Sam trip planner? I find it to be a good starting point.
2000 Coachmen Santara 311SB

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmcgsd wrote:
What I don't believe Google maps can do is to allow me to input conditions, I.e. Avoid Interstates. That was one of the features I loved in Trips & Streets. It's also easy with a paper planner.

I used Google maps this morning to plot a route from San Diego to Big Bend N.P. Sure it worked, and if I wanted to get there using the quickest route I'm certain the route would do that, but I can't easily see the alternates, and as I said, allow conditions to be set. I was hoping there was an app that supported that.

Guess not.

Have you tried clicking on OPTIONS, directly under the destination input area? When I tried it, a route from St. Louis, MO to Elkhart, IN. I took me on some interstate but mainly on secondary highways.
Just a thought.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I start with a truckers Atlas to decide where we want to go. Then move to RV PARKY for laying it out and selecting RV parks. Check all the parks with RV Park Reviews and then transfer the route to the GPS. I also print a basic paper copy in case something happens.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
I use a combination of Good Sam, Flying J/Pilot, and KOA route planning (for detailed CG and fueling stops) all feeding and supplemented with Garmin BaseCamp with the final result loaded to my GPSs via BaseCamp. There is some learning curve to effectively using BaseCamp, but it's IMO a good final planning tool.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I've been using the Allstays Camp & RV app and very happy with it.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:

Guess not.

Once you tell Google Maps to plot the route from start point to end point, you can drag the line to any place you like. Just click and drag at any point on the line. You can make it as direct or as convoluted as you want, then save it to your Google account and it's there to call up from anywhere. It's really as easy as anything I've ever used in that respect. As far as I know, it won't give you bridge or tunnel clearances, but as long as you stay on mostly main highways, even 2 lane roads won't usually have clearances too low for most RV traffic.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213