cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wire Brush wires left on Grill after Cleaning! DAMGER

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure that every one is aware of the DANGER of cleaning your grill with a wire brush, and the wires coming loose from the brush and left on the grill. I was cleaning my Baby Q grill Friday last, and as it was really in a mess I used an old wire brush, well as you can imagine, a multitude of wires were dislodged from the brush and left on the grill. That reminded me of a program on TV which was about, you guessed it, a wire brush from the grill stuck to a peace of meat, a person ate same, and best I remember almost died. Well I went over the grill with a magnifier and made sure I had removed ALL the wires. Anyway I thought I would post this as a reminder to all of us of this DANGER.

Best not to use a wire brush to clean the grill, and if you do, get ALL the loose wires.

Johnnie
40 REPLIES 40

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I first heard this I though it was a myth. After doing some resurce it turns out to be true. So I threw my wire brushes away. I've never found anything else that works though. So I just break off the big clumps and cook on the rest.

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I use the high heat method... Adding 2 layers of aluminum foil over the entire grill and high heat for 10 minutes or so incinerates evrything.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Every year a couple (at least) of people get brush wires stuck in their throats.

I've used brushes that leave wires occastionally; I always rub the grates with paper towels and a bit of veg oil; that always catches any wires plus keeps food from sticking.
-jbh-

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine was in serious trouble last month due to just this situation. He began having lower abdominal pain, went to his VA doctor, who sent him to a civilian hospital emergency room. To make a long story short, they discovered a small wire bristle from a BBQ brush lodged in his lower intestine, and it was starting to abscess. They surgically removed it, and he is doing great now. He knows exactly where he got it, at a BBQ at a local well-known place that does BBQ's on the weekends.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly, how often do you think this could possibly happen? There is no way in the world that a person can eliminate 100% of all dangers around them. Be sensible and hope for the best is about all you can do.

As for me I'll not worry about my brush.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The Doctors TV show did a spot on this. No one could figure out what was casing this lady to have throat/breathing problems.

The bristle was SO small it was missed by several doctors. Finally a doctor after an ER trip to the hospital saw the tiny spot on an x-ray.

They did surgery and took it out. The wire was SO small you could barely see it but it lodged into the tissue in her throat and since it's metal the body was trying to reject it.

You wouldn't even see it on a bbq grill.

I know I have used those brushes until they were worn down to a nub too. I won't do that anymore for the safety of my BBQ guests!!

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/2698-unexpected-barbecue-danger

...The Doctors are joined by Shawna, who was rushed to the emergency room after a tiny metal grill brush wire became lodged in the soft tissue of her throat. If it had not been found, Shawna could have suffered severe health complications, including edema, which would have closed her airway, and potential spinal injury.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Hot grill, wet down nylon grill brush, few rubs to steam off 95% of grates. Very simple!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I rarely clean my Weber Q. I just heat it up to ten million degrees and burn everything off.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
definitely high heat after using. clean then cause it comes off super easy, the bigger chunks or whatever is stuck to it.

to wire it when cold is not good.

we have a good brush also and have been using it forever.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the spatula to get any big chunks off after preheat.
NO brush ever.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a brush/pad combo.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

westend
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
If the BBQ is propane, turn on high after use when temp is all the way up, clean grill with brush and turn off, easier to clean when hot.

I purchase one new brush at Home Despot or Lowe's at the begining of season, and throw the old one out, they are cheap enough.

The charcoal grill is a little harder, still gets brushed after use and before we grill, I start mine with coals soaked in cheap cooking oil rather than starter fluid, food tastes better instead of a chemical tasting steak.

navegator
For charcoal starting, try to use a chimney device. I have a Weber chimney and it starts coals with exactly two pieces of newspaper. I made one for the Daughter using a metal coffee can. She is still using it after three years. Save the cooking oil, I'll be over later for a good steak. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
cleaning a grill with wire brushes also will scratch the coating off the grates, and ruin the BBQ and it will start rusting. I turn mine up on high and burn it off. the grease will turn to ash and then I take my pressure washer and hook up to hot water and clean it. a good BBQ brush will have the brass side and a nylon side, use the nylon side to clean it off if in a hurry.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Further proof that cleaning is dangerous, which is why I don't. Clean. Anything.

But try to s'plain that to my Mother-in-Law....

After heating to 350+ยฐ the grill is sterile anyway.

Just brush the ash off of it with a paper towel soaked in cooking oil just before using.

Don't get me started on clueless Mothers-in-Law ...
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Further proof that cleaning is dangerous, which is why I don't.
Clean.
Anything.

But try to s'plain that to my Mother-in-Law....
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien