cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windsurfing

jeremymayf
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering how many fellow RV’rs and rv.net enthusiasts also have the windsurfing bug? I would be interested in hearing about, and seeing (pics) of, places you have been and how you outfit your rig to accommodate the paraphernalia of our wonderful sport.

I’ll start it off with a couple pictures; the first is our 31’ Class C Bigfoot with windsurf board attached to the rear ladder. The Bigfoot has under-storage bays that span the width of the rig, so that’s where I keep sails, masts, etc. BTW, that vintage 1980s Maui fun-board has since been replaced by a new Bic Core 133 liter. Also, the motorcycle now travels in the bed of a Nissan Frontier pickup—our new dinghy as of last fall.

The next two pictures are where we went on our most recent trip (not our pics though—for some reason—ask dw :?, the pics didn’t turn out) —August 2010, last week :B —to a reservoir just outside Laramie, WY, called Lake Hattie. Beautiful FREE boondocking spot! Very few people—the place was empty during the week and only a few people showed up Friday as we were leaving. In addition to being very windy, the area also has miles of dirt roads and single track for off road vehicles—so when the wind was down, out came the dirt motorcycle! For those traveling with small children, or like us with elderly father-in-law, make sure your rig has good heat/battery reserve for those ~40 degree nights—elevation 7500’.

While I certainly want to encourage everyone to post, I would especially love to hear about off-the beaten-path windsurfing, boondocking spots like Lake Hattie.

Thanks,
Jeremy

143 REPLIES 143

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a long history of sailing on SF Bay but had to quit at 60 because things don't heal quickly anymore. We always took a summer trip to Hood River and still miss those trips. This spring has been a wind surfers dream as far as winds go. The boat sailors say if you can sail well on SF Bay you can handle most other places in the world, same goes for wind surfing.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Roads_Less_Trav
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always thought "kiteboarding" was just another term for "wind surfing" -- that is, until we bumped into the Kiteboarding World Cup competitions on the beach two weeks ago... both sports look like a blast...

Kiteboarding pics here:

2013 Kiteboard World Cup
2007 Hitchhiker II 34.5 RLTG Fifth Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Bed / Single Rear Wheel
Traveling full-time in an RV and sailboat since 2007
Our full-time blog: http://roadslesstraveled.us
-Stories, photos, and lots of RVing tips!!

jeremymayf
Explorer
Explorer
Great video Rice! Enjoyed it very much, especially the John Hughes-Breakfast Club-style 80s music! Nice jibe, wish I could do one that smoothly.

It's warmed up here recently-but of course with warmth comes no wind. Taking a couple summer classes right now so little time to sail.

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, that's from a GoPro camera. It doesn't have a viewfinder so we just mounted it and hoped for the best.

Carey put together a windsurfing page on our website. Right below the map, there's a link for a video of the GoPro footage and some land-based footage.

Check out Carey's airborne jibe at the 7:01 mark; I'll never know how he kept that one dry.

Also, the "first ever proper jibe" really was the first time that guy did a smooth, moving jibe, and he just happened to have the camera on it. I love the look on his face afterward.

It's been a weird Spring--much cooler than normal, with a norther once a week for a while there through April and into May. My personal milestone is that a jumping fish hit my leg--you see them out there all the time but I've never had one make contact before. Too bad THAT wasn't memorialized by the GoPro.

jeremymayf
Explorer
Explorer
Nice Pic Rice, is that from a gopro camera? Glad to see you guys are still having fun. Finishing up the semester--lotta work, but so far doing well. Wow, do I wish I could be sailing too. Anyway, great pic, want to see more! Have fun,
Jeremy

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
We're back at Bird Island. Here's a view of the RV area from a camera mounted on the boom:

Wind_Surfer
Explorer
Explorer
It is definitely flat water sailing at the BIB. My next outing with decent wind will probably be in the bay where there are swells.

The sailor is close to the sandbar but probably still 30 yards off of it. With the wind direction we were sailing almost parallel to the bar. BUT (Behold the Ultimate Truth) you are right about the sandbar sneaking up, I almost hit it one time; yikes!
2011 Dodge 3500 DRW Laramie
2011 HitchHiker 31.5 FKLS

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of choppy, don't you think? 😉 That looks like about 30 mph wind--nobody would ever believe the water could be that flat.

But is that guy on the sandbar? I know it gets a little deeper when the water gets pushed onto it, but, yikes! I sailed right up to the shore once on a N/NW wind, but I was going about 2 mph.

I'm assuming it's the same stuff we had as a very nice tailwind coming down to Austin yesterday. Looks like we both got to take advantage of it, but I bet you had more fun.

Wind_Surfer
Explorer
Explorer
Merry 4.5 Christmas to all. Hope you are enjoying the holidays with family and friends. Santa came through today as it blew hard. I went out on a 4.5 and was powered up! Pic is of someone sailing as I have yet to figure out how to take a picture of myself when sailing.

Location is Bird Island Basin, Corpus Christi.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Wind_Surfer
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, another good day yesterday, 5.5 meter day. Days have turned cool and water temps have dropped. We plan on leaving this Saturday for a quick trip thru Ohio to see our children once more before heading to off to Texas. Hwy 12 is still closed so we will exit the outer banks via ferry.

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
muelldawg, in another thread you said you stay at Laguna Shore Village in Flour Bluff. Do you not sail from that marina that is right by that RV park, and drive over to BIB instead?

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Rice and all. I sail Corpus Christi, TX. Bird Island Basin (BIB) in the spring (May) and fall (October). As Rice has mentioned, BIB is a friendly and wonderful place to windsurf. If you are interested at all in windsurfing BIB is the place to learn.
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

Wind_Surfer
Explorer
Explorer
Clear skies! Windfinder says it should blow 20 knts for the rest of the week. I went out and checked the beach this morning, it was amazing; white caps as far as one can see.

Wind_Surfer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is the ocean. As the wind shifts out of the NW, the sounds side could flood. Here is a pic of the Canadian Hole parking lot yesterday.

We choose Corpus Christi for two reason; close to a big city to explore, and I believe that sailing the bay can be good. It's also close to the sound so could go out and sail the ocean or sound. BUT, have never been there so we will see.