cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who uses a pop-up canopy?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering picking up a 10x10 canopy to use as an additional shelter on some camping trips. Something to cover the picnic table and/or seating area depending on the site configuration. I'm curious how many others actually do this. Do you find that it's worth the effort to put one up, or is it really a waste to have this in addition to the RV awnings?
29 REPLIES 29

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a CLAM and use it to cover our picnic table. Sets up in under a minute and take down about the same.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased one this year and use it when Boon Docking for an extra shelter, set up a small table under it for the grill, comes in very handy.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've gone through 3 screen rooms 1 10x10 2 12x12 we only put them up when were volunteering and stationary 3 months at a time. Even spraying with uv protection the sun takes its toll.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
If you wants sides on a ez up canopy use Crocjaw clips. Great invention.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
I found the best pop canopy is called a ONE PUSH CANOPY. Sets up like a umbrella. One person can do in about 1 minute. Others need two people and push on the corner. ONE PUSH you push up in the center and opens fast. Itโ€™s the only type to use.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an awning, but I had a Clam and now have a Gazelle. One thing to know about those is the small size of the screen holes; it's so fine a mesh, very little breeze gets through. So the canopy tends to be noticeably warmer than the outside air due to the sun shining on the top. This can be a bad thing if it's 80 degrees outside, but a good thing if it's 60 degrees.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
We've used a 12 x 12 for years. Because the awning on our pop-up is small, we usually use it in place of the awning.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a Clam Escape screen room: easy to set up, and a strong wind just flattens it.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 of them!!! Talk about gluttony! Actually carry 2 in the trailer, set up with walls, usually behind the trailer, and put our propane firepit inside when cool or cold. Gets nice and toasty inside!!

We usually only use one or both when in a dispersed spot for at least 3-4 days, otherwise, don't bother with. Not a major job to set up and take down, but extra work for 1 or 2 nights. Our 3rd one we use on our back deck in the summer, shades the deck and entry, much cooler in family room when in use. Where we live, we do have to be aware of wind, have lost one to the "wayward wind"!!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We have worn out two so far. The first was a 10x10, the next was a 12x12 and we currently have another 12x12. I modified my surf cart to carry everything including our small dog riding on the top down to the beach. It is a necessary item with our two dogs as it gives plenty of shade. We have been going to Hatteras Island for decades and staying about three months. Our dogs love the beach and these easy ups are really nice for shade. Over the years I found out how to angle my sand stakes on each corner to prevent wind from being an issue.
If you plan on using one at your campsite it would be wise to use stakes as well. Wind springs up quickly.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
It might depend on whether you'll have to hand-carry it, and how far/over what surface...we have a 10' x 10'...the times we use it is generally when we're camping at a beach park (we live on the gulf coast) and want to spend an afternoon at the water...it can get bulky, heavy and awkward lugging it across the sand from a parking lot to the beach itself...putting it up right next to the trailer would be no issue at all
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
We had one with 4 legs until a big gust of wind caught it and threw it 40 ft. Breaking a part I can't find.
So I looked around and saw a Gazelle 6 sided pop up. I talked with the owner and he said it was great. Easy up and very stable in the wind.
It was a Clam Quick-Set Gazebo/Canopy $$$
I bought a Gazelle gazebo almost identical but cheaper. I've been happy with it.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I've got one. Works good for a small shelter. I recommend staking it to the ground

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
I have been carrying one around for 16 years. Sides and netting included. Only used it once the first year.
TBS, I see many in use so others are obviously getting more use out of theirs.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use one occasionally. Takes a while to set up. Need to stake it down.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad