cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which 5th wheel hitch for my turn-over ball goosenck

davesparks2001
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a 2016 Fuzion 371 which is approximately 40' and 16,500lb gross. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Silverado 3500 crew cab long bed 4x4 dually. I'm shopping for my hitch and looking for insight. I was originally planning on a B&W Companion to drop into the gooseneck socket. I then got tempted by the Anderson Ultimate for the even easier removal from the truck and the ability to freely swivel. I most recently discovered the Blue Ox Super Hitch which makes me think it might avoid the need to upgrade the pin box for dealing with chucking. We like the idea of being able to tow a friend's 5er in case they need help which hurts the Anderson due to the adaptor needed. Any thoughts or suggestions?
26 REPLIES 26

davesparks2001
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up my Andersen so hopefully I'm just a few days from installing and testing. I'll post a follow-up after my test drive.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Andersen also for reason already posted (clean truck bed and light weight). The first Andersen I got was the rail mount one so I had to send that back and get the gooseneck one.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

davesparks2001
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered an aluminum Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch yesterday. Being in my 50s this time around, I had to try for the easiest experience there is and the Andersen looks to be the ticket. I order a safety chain with it, with the intention of just using the eye bolts with the adaptor so if we ever need the chains I can quickly hang them. If this topic is still active when I get the hitch installed and take the camper for a spin, I'll post the results.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
gkainz wrote:
well, in the classic "pics or it didn't happen", I'm embarrassed to say I cannot find either google pics or the threads here we discussed this last.

I recall finding pics from a number of vendors that dealt with vernier, t-handle or other operating cable products that showed a couple different types of locks that were two piece metal covers that fastened under the nuts holding the cable and handle together, came together over the t-handle or vernier knob and allowed a padlock to be inserted.

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce that at this time.

OH well! What I remember is it did not look like they would work.

Let's not loose anymore sleep over it!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
well, in the classic "pics or it didn't happen", I'm embarrassed to say I cannot find either google pics or the threads here we discussed this last.

I recall finding pics from a number of vendors that dealt with vernier, t-handle or other operating cable products that showed a couple different types of locks that were two piece metal covers that fastened under the nuts holding the cable and handle together, came together over the t-handle or vernier knob and allowed a padlock to be inserted.

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce that at this time.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry don't recall saying that. Maybe I did. Pics help others to se what is available.

MeAgain what do you remember?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
gkainz wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You can not lock the Andersen.

again with this? there are t-handle locks that fit the Andersen.

Please show me one as no one has so far.

I did twice in the past ... if you recall you even acknowledged that "would probably work" ... similar to throttle locks on aircraft and t-handle locks for other kinds of actuators...

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
davesparks2001 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Cummins12V98. I've been leaning really hard toward the Andersen for the ease of use reasons in addition to the ease of putting it in and out of the truck. I love the idea of the cable release so there's no need to climb up in the truck to lock the jaws open when dropping the camper. I also love the idea that it's basically maintenance free. I have had two B&W companions in the past so I know how great they are. My first instinct was just to go ahead and order the companion but I thought I'd see what else came along in the 5 years I was driving a motor home instead of towing a 5er. I was ready to pull the trigger today and order an Andersen so I could pamper myself with the most "easy" possible. I'll chew on it some more over the weekend. The bed deflection issue makes me uneasy. Any of you Andersen users out there noticed an indentations in your bed?

No but I have the rail mount version. I've never personally seen any pictures that showed any significant indentation - no more than I've got in my bed from other things, anyway. Also worth noting that the only bent hitch I've ever heard of involved the aluminum version, and it was an isolated incident. I've not heard of any issues with the redesigned aluminum version.

Most people who dog the Andersen Ultimate have never used it, and most who do use it love the way it works. The cable lock works great, there's no uncertainty with regard to whether the trailer is properly hitched and its a very solid hitch that allows the trailer to articulate easily.

Edit - there's no way to padlock the t-handle. I couldn't care less but some (one) apparently do (does) care.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
gkainz wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Please show me one as no one has so far.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can not lock the Andersen. There are jerks out there! YES the RV can pop off the ball on some of our lovely highways.

I would have no issue with it's abilities with lighter RV's. Remember Craftsman says their shop vac "develops" 6hp. ๐Ÿ˜‰

davesparks2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the explanation Cummins12V98. I've been leaning really hard toward the Andersen for the ease of use reasons in addition to the ease of putting it in and out of the truck. I love the idea of the cable release so there's no need to climb up in the truck to lock the jaws open when dropping the camper. I also love the idea that it's basically maintenance free. I have had two B&W companions in the past so I know how great they are. My first instinct was just to go ahead and order the companion but I thought I'd see what else came along in the 5 years I was driving a motor home instead of towing a 5er. I was ready to pull the trigger today and order an Andersen so I could pamper myself with the most "easy" possible. I'll chew on it some more over the weekend. The bed deflection issue makes me uneasy. Any of you Andersen users out there noticed an indentations in your bed?

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"My Curt Q20 is a similar design to the B&W Companion. I love it and would get another dual jaw hitch in an instant."

"Similar" as in they are both 5th wheel hitches? Yes that is true. That is where the similarity ends!

Yes I know, I've heard it stated way too many times around here :S. I don't have the be-all, end-all B&W companion hitch. So what?

I wasn't trying to sway the OP over to a Curt hitch and was merely stating that a Dual Jaw hitch works extremely well with smooth towing and simple operation. The OP was asking if the B&W is worth it vs the Anderson Ultimate and my answer would be yes. Anderson markets itself has a light, easy to remove and install hitch. That's fine, but my example of using a chain hoist in the garage shows that installation and removal of a 'standard' 5th wheel hitch can be just as quick and easy.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"My Curt Q20 is a similar design to the B&W Companion. I love it and would get another dual jaw hitch in an instant."

"Similar" as in they are both 5th wheel hitches? Yes that is true. That is where the similarity ends!

B&W US Made curt China. B&W machined 1" thick jaws Curt 1/2". B&W head pivot point is about in alignment with the kingpin Curt is several inches below and does cause Chucking. B&W has 4 grade 8 bolts each side supporting head Curt has two, not sure what rating they are??? B&W simple NO question of you are hitched with a simple latching mechanism Curt has a flimsy thing and color coding. B&W easy to hitch and unhitch as stated by MANY on here Curt is NOT always easy as stated by many on here. B&W is more money Curt is less money.

Both hitches are 25K. What one would you trust towing 25k???